SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Let's go on a RAMPAGE!

joyfulguy
9 years ago

I'm pretty fed up with yogurt containers having decreased in size from 175 grams ... to 150 ... to 125 ... to 112 ... to, recently 100, per cup.

When I called the company to complain, saying that the 175 gram ones were no longer available ... the associate said that, yes they were ... and he was right, as I can buy them in individual packs on the store shelves ... but that`s at a higher price: they are no longer available as sleeves of 4 or 6 or a dozen, as they used to be ... at a much lower price per unit of food.

And ... I can buy two sleeves of a dozen 100 gram ones, on sale, at $3.00 per, making 2,400 grams for $6.00, but when I buy 650 gram tubs on sale at $2.00, I get three tubs for $6.00, for a total of 1,950 grams for the same price as the two sleeves, 2,400 grams, of the single serving 100 gram ones.

I plan to make about four of the two stacks of the 100 gram cups, with the bottom bit slipping down into the top of the next one, making the stack about a foot or more high and a stack of four of the three tubs, which slip down almost all of the way into the one below, except about a quarter of an inch showing at the top, so making a single stack of, I think, a bit less than a foot high, to take to a store manager to demonstrate how much more expensive it must be to manufacture the little ones, to ship them to the dairy, to fill and cap them, with a heat-sealed cap, than to manufacture, transport, fill and seal (pressure packed multi-use lid) the tubs, then haul them all to his store.

The medium sized packs of ice cream used to be 2 litres (slightly under half a gallon), but were shrunk to 1.75, then 1.66 litres, and a while ago to 1.5 litres. I called a company a week or so ago to tell them that I hadn't bought their product for a couple or three years, and the responder asked how I got the 800 number and I said that I'd just come upon a package that had been bought back then, so gave the product code, etc. Ho offered a bonus and some coupons, that I said that I might use.

When they arrived, there was a coupon for the disputed ice cream (current -sized pack, of course - but who can complain, at "free" [except for making the phone call ... and waiting]). There was a survey asking me to describe my experience with the person that I'd dealt with on the line, as well.

I called - again - to say that their letter had dealt with the quality of their product, and another issue, and competitive pricing ... but nary a word about the reason for my original call - the dratted shrinkage of package size. The responder said that was the general letter that they sent out to folks concerned about packaging.

So ... when I filled out the survey, I dealt with one responder in blue ink, and the second in red, ending by saying that I was more pi$$ed off at them than when I received their letter, as the letter in no way dealt with my original complaint.

Cookies!! Used to be 454 grams (one pound) ... then 400 (was there an interim 425 gram size?) then 375 grams ... then 350 grams ... now 300 grams ... and some are putting out a 280 gram size.

Ggr-r-r-ump-p-p!

Haven't called them ... yet! But think that I'm about to.

And ... within the past few weeks ... cheese!

Used to buy slim blocks of 500 grams (10% over a pound)... and lately they've been putting them out at 450 grams (4 grams under a pound).

In order to get the same amount of food ... I must buy a heck of a lot more packaging!

Some of it can be recycled ... requiring quite a lot of transport, often sorting, and processing, frequently into lower quality - but still useful - products.

Much of it is just waste ... to be hauled to the (four-letter word) "DUMP"! What's that? "Unattractive/nasty word", you say? That "landfill" is more congenial? "Land-fill" sounds like a double four-letter word, to me.

I live within two miles (some over 3 kilometers) from Canada's largest city's new "land-fill"... that they purchased recently for something like 320 million ... shortly after some U.S. folks were giving them a hard time over shipping theirs over to somewhere near Detroit.

You'd think that as Canada, covering more area than the U.S. ... and having about a tenth of the population, that Toronto could have found a place to store their crap closer to home.

Which they did - right next door to us!

Double gr-u-u-um-m-mp-p-p!

But my concern over superfluous packaging goes way beyond my concern about living/(renting) next door to a (major) dump.

ole joyful

Comments (14)