Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do You LIke....?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 19:16

It is getting to be that time of year, do you like fruitcake? I know we have done this before, but maybe some have changed their minds. I do like fruitcake, but I very seldom have it. I had a recipe for a carrot fruitcake that I really liked. I don't know if I still have it or not. Do you like fruitcake or not?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do You LIke....?

Nope.

But as a kid, my Nan always made the hot raisin and rum pudding that was steamed and served with a caramel sauce. It was so rich, that a little went a long way.

o

Not a fan. I like the cake part and the nuts, but not the candied fruit.

o

Yup...with brandy butter sauce on it.

o

Best fruitcake I ever had was at a KT gathering in Tx at Buzzard's. Annie brought one in town that was an apricot fruitcake and think Annie and I ate most of it. Delicious!

I'm like my father, loved a slice of Claxton's with a dab of Hellman's mayo on it.

o

i like some...used to make one from cranberry bread mix, and added the more flavorable dried fruits, of choice...used a mini cupcake tin, so they were bite sized...there's one from texas(?)that has apricots, and dried chunky fruit rather than candied...

o

Not fruitcake, but I love stollen. When I was a kid, my dad would make dozens and dozens of them every year to give away as gifts to friends, neighbors and business associates.

o

~~~ Blech!! ~~~

o

I love it if it doesn't have citron in it--that nasty green stuff. Glenda, I get a 1 lb. Claxton fruitcake every year and end up eating it all myself. Harry grew up not far from Claxton.

I've heard that Texas fruitcake is to die for--anybody know the name of the company? I had it at one time, but never ordered one.

Susan, what a great idea to use cranberry bread mix. Tell us more! Love the mini muffin pan idea, too.

o

Re: Texas fruitcake
Collin Street Bakery, Corsicana, TX
Is that the one you were thinking about?

o

Nope. My mom used to make it every year.

o

I like (and make) Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake recipe. I hate candied fruit, and this recipe doesn't use those. It's fantastic.

o

Texas fruitcake
Collin Street Bakery, Corsicana, TX

my favorite

o

Can't even get myself to try it these days. I suppose it's bad memories. Occasionally would get one from work or something (gee, nice bonus huh?) but haven't tried it for years.

o

Nope. My crazy aunt used to make them and send them out to the family when I was a kid. My brother took it upon himself every year to be in charge of soaking it with brandy for a few weeks before he and dad ate it. I definitely do not like citron. But I don't see much point to fruit cake.

o

I like the "light fruitcake" with the cherries, pineapple, etc. but not that nasty citron. I usually make a couple every year, including the "no-bake" one which is DH's favorite.

o

I am the only one who likes fruit cake but it has to be dark. Just love it, nice and moist and the more candied fruit the better..

o

I don't know. It *looks* so repulsive to me that I've never tried it.

o

Not a fan. Make me chocolate chip cookies!

o

Of course I do! I started on preserved fruit early in life, circulating among guests at cocktail parties, begging for the maraschino cherries out of Manhattans. (So I'm told.)

I like Dundee Cake and fruitcake, but I *require* stollen every Christmas! DH won't eat fruitcake, but will tolerate the other two. He will eat almost *anything* if you make it sweet enough.

o

Depends on the recipe but I always pick out the yucky green things.

o

I like it as long as it doesn't have alcohol, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

o

It's ok. I can eat a small piece of it.

o

Saw a recipe for fruitcake pie! IF anyone ways to bake it, I'll try it :o)

o

Thanks hounds x two and Minnie--that's the one. I just remember there were lots of pecans on top :-) Has to be good.

Gotta go check it out.

o

Yikes, now I remember why I didn't buy the fruitcake. Really pricey, since I'm the only one here who will eat it. Glenda, I saw they have the apricot fruitcake if you care to take a peek.

o

I don't care for it but my mother in law makes a no bake fruit cake that is pretty good. My husband absolutely loves that kind. She gave me her recipe so he can have some since we don't get to visit as much since we moved.

o

Marylin - it's all your fault. You made me do it.

I just went on-line and ordered a Christmas Pudding from Harrods.
When push comes to shove, I prefer Christmas pudding over the fruit cake.

o

I'll but that Christmas pudding will really be good, don't know as I have ever tasted one. I have never bought a pudding or a fruit cake.

Sue

o

A lot of them I don't like but I make one with pineapple, cherries and nuts....and I like that one. I've already made two of them this year.

o

We like this one, it's a Betty Crocker recipe and uses whole brazil nuts, dates, apricots, red and green maraschino cherries and just a little of the red and green pineapple.

Woody asks for it every year, but he doesn't always get it. I guess I need to make it for him, it's time. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeweled Fruitcake Recipe and photo

o

Hate it

o

Love real English fruitcake - not cake with icky fruit in it.

We get Assumption Abbey fruitcake every year. It's the real deal:

When Assumption Abbey was first developing its bakery, the monks sought the help of world class chef Jean-Pierre Aug, who at one time served in the royal employ of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Mr. Aug's assistance, and his generosity in providing the recipe and ideas for production, gave the monks the impetus to go forward with the Assumption Abbey Fruitcakes.

Assumption Abbey Fruitcakes are the dark, rich, traditional style of fruitcake. They are baked slowly and aged under the careful supervision of the monks. Everything, from marinating the fruit, to mixing, to baking, to packaging, to aging, to mailing is done right at the Monastery by the monks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assumption Abbey fruitcake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here