Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fresh hair cut and dye job;)

Posted by YogaLady1948 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 19:06

How many of you do your own dye jobs at home? How often do you get your hair cut and dye it? My hair is on the medium short side so I find it easy to do at home. I have to have it cut and dye it once a month~~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fresh hair cut and dye job;)

Never color it have it cut about every 2-3 months.

o

My hair is past the middle of my back, so I color the roots every 6 weeks, get it trimmed about every 3 months, wash it 3 times a week and give it an oil treatment about every 6 months. I put lotion on the ends almost every day.

o

I quit having my hair colored in 1994 when we retired. I figured if I started getting gray, I'd do something. So far, so good. It's still light brown and there is gray in it, but even my hair stylist says she doesn't see it (and I'm sure she'd love to color it for extra $$). I won't do it til I have to. But I sure will then. My family doesn't get pretty white hair--just drabby gray--icky.

Wonder what color I should choose? And if you color, did you stay in the same color range or go entirely different? In my early 20's I was platinum blond--woo hoo!

o

I quit covering my gray a year ago. I get my short, curly hair trimmed every 5 weeks.

o

I found my first grey hair when I was 21. By the time I was in my 30s, I was frosting my hair to hide the grey in my light brown hair. In my late 30s, I reacted to a permanent with swelling that lasted for months. I decided I had to quit fiddling with chemicals on my hair, and so I got a real short haircut to cut off all the frosting. We were surprised that when my hair was blown out, I looked just the same as with the frosting, but now the "frosting" was white and not blonde. Actually, it looked great and many women asked me who did my color job. By the time I was in my late 50s, my hair was snow white. I do not color it or tint it. I get it cut about once every 4 weeks.

o

Let the coloring go long time ago and turned a very pretty snowball white. Even get asked at times what I put on my hair to make it so pretty :o) My answer: AGE

Have my hair trimmed every 3-4 weeks.

o

I love your answer, Glenda!!!

I don't color either, and I cut myself. I am due right now... cause I think I look ratty. LOL

Maybe tomorrow?

Moni

o

I color mine or I would be snow white. And I cut my own hair. Get DH to cut the back and I cut the sides. Found a great video on youtube on how to cut layers into your hair. It works!

My variation on it is,when I do the sides, I do one side at a time. And I just have DH cut it straight across the back. Only bother with layers in the back every once in awhile.

Here is a link that might be useful: cut your own layers

o

My hair is just shoulder length and I get it cut and coloured (streaks only - no overall colour, yet) about every 3-4 months. The people that I go to do such a great job that I don't have to go very often. But I do pay a lot of money for that luxury.

o

I quit having it colored years ago. I get it cut every three weeks and permed every six weeks. The worse thing I have found is finding someone to do my hair when we travel. I have been butchered several times but it is only hair and luckily it grows fast. Also most of the places we travel I will never see any of these people again so it doesn't matter what my hair looks like. Wish I looked good in long straight hair it sure would solve the problem.

o

Mine is short and staright and nearly white. I get it cut usually every 6 weeks and getting it cut has never been a great experience until this year when I found someone really good and I like her very much. Life is good.

o

My hair grows fast so a once a month cut is a must~~when it gets to long it is bushy. I color it because it looks like it is mousey/gray brown and it is fizzy~~the dye job gives it body-shine and no fizz. The color I use is very natural looking, very close to my natural color.

o

I have mine professionally cut and colored every six weeks and have been since I was in my mid 30's. It is an expense but I feel this is the face I present to the world and I'm worth it. A visit to the hairdresser is like a visit with old friends.

o

I used to have my hair cut and colored at the salon every six weeks. Since my hair is almost shoulder length and straight, the difference of an inch in length doesn't matter much, although since I have layers, I can look pretty shaggy at times. I now touch up the color with a product called Root Renew. That way, I can go nearly two months between professional cut and color.

I wish my hair were totally gray. If it was, I'd just let it grow in. With the amount of gray that I have, it just looks aging. It's mousey gray like YogaLady's.

o

My hair grows so slowly, I guess it comes with age...My daughter does my cuts and color several times a year. She has a degree in cosmetology but has never worked professionally as a hairdresser.

o

I cut and color my own hair. I never turned gray so I'm still dying the roots to keep it blonde and streaked. I owned a salon for years so it's easy for me. All my sisters went gray but not one in my head. Cripes it would be so much easier to have blonde if the roots were light. I have to do it every six or eight weeks. I also highlight over the medium blonde with a much lighter shade and leave some of my dark hair blended so it looks very natural.

o

I never colored my hair or had a permanent in my life. My light brown hair is now more than half grey. I cut my own hair and have for 30 years after getting a very bad cut at a salon. I will try that video, Kat.

o

Every 5 weeks...color and cut, professionally, for the past 49 years(color only for about the past 20 years).

o

I have longish straight hair. I only get it cut 2-3x a year usually, and just started dying it again, because my grays are getting out of control. I buy a demi-permanent dye from my salon for only $10 (a little different from a semi perm. but fades out over time the same way), and do it myself at home right after I get it cut.

o

I get my roots touched up every 4-6 weeks and highlights when they need re-done. My hair is layered and just tips my shoulders.

o

I don't color my hair because we own a landscaping business & working outside in the sun is not good for hair that is colored. I have quite a bit of gray but it will have to stay there. Get my hair trimmed every 5 weeks. It is very curly & past my angel bones. This way in the heat I can put the hair up in a pony tail.

o

I need to dye mine right now! It varies how often I do it-basically when it needs it! Probably once a month. Sometimes (such as this week) I touch up the gray with a brown sharpie-not politically correct, but it works! I get it cut maybe 2-3 times a year.

o

Sharpie....that is awesome!
I have to dye myself every 5 weeks. Regretfully.

o

Sharpie....that is awesome!
I have to dye myself every 5 weeks. Regretfully.

o

Mascara also works to cover gray roots on dark hair. I'm a blonde, so that doesn't work for me.

o

Sharpie, hahaha, love it. Mascara is a great idea!

Lily, it really does work. 3 of my SIL's said, oooo you got your hair done. And layers! they were so surprised when I said I did it myself. I'm more than happy with saving 20 bucks or whatever a haircut costs now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here