Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attention if you take generic lipitor

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 18:57

If you take generic lipitor by brand ranbaxy you need to contact your pharmacy asap.
They are being recalled for having ground up fine glass in the pills.

I just heard it on the news, looked at mine and mine are that brand.
I called the pharmacy and was told do not take another one, bring them in and they will exchange for another brand.

Now I only have 10 left so apparently I have possibly taken some of the tainted ones.

She had me check the date and said oh yes you are one that is affected.

I did ask why no one had notified me. She said that they have pulled it off the shelf but were not calling, but were replacing it for those that brought it in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attention if you take generic lipitor

Thanks for the info, raven.....that's mine, too. Just how much ground up glass do we need in our diets???

o

I got a call from the pharmacy last week, after I had my prescription refilled. Took it in and got another refill from a different batch. Told me I'm fine.

o

Got my 1st prescription today and called Express Scripts to tell them I would NOT take these pills. They declined my request and told me to take them because they "may" not be affected!! This is crazy!! I will NOT take a chance on this!!!!! Express Scripts will not credit my account!! What do I do now?? Anybody???

o

Pianolady 2008 - you could file a dispute with your credit card. I've done that before. It take a while but it does work.

o

Thank you scissors for this information!! : ) I'll try that!!!!!

o

I would call the manufacturer it's illegal to sell a know recalled medication.

o

i called the pharmacy for my boyfriend and it wasnt his brand thank goodness

o

Mine has the manufacturer name on my prescription label, but in very small print.

I think that company that is refusing you is on the verge of committing fraud. They are reimbursed for those drugs and they are supposed to use that to replace the bad drugs they gave out.
I would not let it go there's a legal recall.

o

Thanks for the information. My doctor just yesterday, changed my prescrition to Lipitor, 40 mg tab, becasue he said it was aa better drug than the one I had been taking.

Your current prescription may or may not be affected. Here's what I have found to date:

1. The problem is glass particles in the tablet. The glass particles are comparable in size to sand.

2. The pills affected were made by Ranbaxy, an India company. They supply about 43% of generic Lipitor sold. 41 lots have been recalled.

Your supply is not affected if it was made by a different supplier.

3. The affected dosages are Atorvastatin Calcuim Tablets 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg. The 80 mg tablets are not recalled. The recalled lots have expiration date 31-Aug-14. Liptor in tablet form is said to have a good shelf life.

o

Mine is one in the recall. I tried calling the mail order supplier; after being put on hold for more than 30 minutes, I sent them an e-mail. If I don't hear from them tomorrow, I will try to call again.

Thanks for the heads-up!!!! I can always count on my friends at the KT to keep me up to date on the happenings in the world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here