Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a letter from the post office

Posted by OklaMoni (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 18:46

I got this email today, and want to share. I hope, no one gets their panties in a wad, over the fact, God is mentioned. Please scroll down, if you prefer not to read anything containing the word God.

We don't know who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office who understands LOVE..........................

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.
The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.
She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.
I told her that I thought that we could, so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog?
Abbey died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much.
I 'm happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.
She likes to swim and play with balls.
I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.
I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith, addressed it to God/Heaven.
We put our return address on it.
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.
That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.
A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.
I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.

Meredith opened it.
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'

Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.

On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore.
Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.
Abbey loved being your dog.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I'm sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me.
What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially
for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find.
I am wherever there is love.
Love,
God

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a letter from the post office

AWWWW what a special person to be so kind~~~that darling girl will remember that forever and someday 'pay it forward'

Thanks for posting~~

o

That was wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

o

I love this! Thank you for sharing.

o

Oh that is so sweet! There are really nice people in this world. Thanks for sharing!

o

I have seen this so many times and I still tear up when I read it. Thanks...my dry eyes always need some help. LOL

o

Thanks so much for sharing that -- comforting thoughts for all of us who miss our late pets.

o

Thanks, Moni. That reminds me of a poem I learned as a youngster, I couldn't remember the author so I googled and found it.

A PLEA FOR A SINNER

Dear Mr. God, please listen,
Since I had to give him up,

Please take good care of Tippy, Sir �
He's such a little pup.

Mother says You called to him

And he just had to go,
I wonder if he misses me,

'Cause, gee, I miss him so.

I know You'll treat him awful nice.
But he's really lots of care,

And if it's rainy out-of-doors,
He'll track mud everywhere.

He'll sure get into everything,
If You leave him just a crack.

But, Mr. God, if he bothers You,
I'd be glad to have him back!

� Peter Reed

It is a sad day when we have to be careful about mentioning God, in order not to "offend" some one..

Sue

o

Most likely its not real, but the sentiment is still nice.

o

And it's not just about a god that gets people so offended around here so it's sad that people have to be so careful about offending people over some of the silliest things. But some are out there just to BE offended and throw their tantrums. It gives some a reason to live it seems.

o

Snopes says it is true.

o

I saw that a while ago on Pinterest, with pictures of the little girl and the lady at the post office, so I assumed it's real.

It made me tear up then, and again now. Love this, and anything to do with animals.

o

Wonderful story and so glad you posted it....AND I agree, it is too bad when you are afraid to say, God for fear of offending someone....What is this world coming to???

o

What a happy thought ... that the little girl who was so heart-wounded at losing her beloved dog ...

... got such a lovely letter ...

... from "dog" spelled backwards ...

... (with one letter capitalized)!

ole joyful

o

I believe it's true. And may doG-backwards bless that postal employee!

o

I don't know how I missed this, but I thank you for sharing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here