Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FREE shingles vaccine

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 18:29

I see that a health center in Wilkes-Barre, PA is offering free shingles shots to seniors on one day in December, along with free flu shots to the general public.

Perhaps this is being offered in other towns as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FREE shingles vaccine

It must be the Kirby Health Center. They give free flu shots every yr. I live just outside the city and called a couple of yrs ago to ask if I was eligible for the Flu Vaccine, I wasn't, since I don't live inside city limits. That's a great give away. I wish I were eligible.

o

Mare, this announcement lists two sites, and they don't mention any qualifications. Might be worth a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: free flu shots in W-B

o

If you can find a free shingles shot..... go for it.
The shot costs almost $300.

o

Thanks Susan. I'm going to call. The site for the Flu Vaccine is only a couple of miles from where I live, the other site just a bit further, but noe very far,. I hope I can get the Shingles vaccine, i askeed my Dr about. he told me it would cost about $250, not covered by Medicare.

o

I hope you get it, Mare. Are you sure about the insurance coverage? I have Medicare, and most of the cost was paid by my Part D drug coverage. I paid $45 and got the shot at Rite-Aid.

o

I only have the info from the MD's office, I haven't checked with pharmacies. I have the Humana/Walmart part D. I don't know if I've met the deduuctible yet.

o

Wish they had free shingles shots here...they were around $200 each, only a portion was covered by insurance.

o

Wish they had free shingles shots here...they were around $200 each for the frozen serum and then you had to take it to the doctor's office or pay the pharmacist for the injection, only a portion was covered by insurance.

o

Just called about the free Shingles Vaccine. It's for those without insurance. I'm glad I don't qualify in that case. Thanks anyway Susan.

o

OT: Do you live near Wilkes-Barre? Some of my Eloit/Eliot/Elliott ancestors escaped to that town from Wyoming during an Indian raid.

o

Mare, with the insurance you have, it's too bad Walmart isn't giving the shot. My local Walmart gave me the impression that they'll offer them at some point. The pharmacist said, "we're working on it."

Sue, I'm about 50 miles from W-B. What year was that, do you know? I have a good friend with the last name Elliott, but he's originally from Syracuse. I assume you mean Wyoming, PA, yes? In addition to the town, Wyoming is a popular street name around here.

o

Be careful, if you are on certain drugs, this vaccine is dangerous.

This post was edited by monica_pa on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 14:32

o

Oops...I confused the shingles shot for the flu shot. I got the flu shot, covered 100% by Medicare.
As to the shingles shot, because of my RA drugs, DR. said "No Way - too dangerous".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here