Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Bargains at Your Grocery Lately?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 18:19

I didn't see many bargains today, but did get five pounds of apples for $3.99. They had three varieties to choose from, Braeburn, Red Delicious and Fuji. They also had the smaller can of Libby's canned pumpkin, two for $3.00. I did not buy any pumpkin but did by two bags of apples, Braeburn and Fuji.

Have you found any bargains in your grocery store?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Bargains at Your Grocery Lately?

No bargains around here, just higher prices every time I shop.

o

Just picked up 4 pounds of butter at 1.88 each; and 4 packages of crem cheese at .88 each today. There was a limit of 4 of each. Will go back tomorrow for another batch of them. With the holidays coming, you really can't have too much butter and cream cheese in. They won't be that low any time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They'll keep fine for months in the freezer.

o

Please name the store you are finding these bargains at - may help some of us save some money.

o

The butter and cream cheese were on sale at ShopRite--you have to have their store card. And they had a coupon in their circular this week for Sweetened Condensed Milk for .99--picked up one of those, too.

o

My local Krogers had great bargains this week...of course you had to buy 10 items (did not have to be same items)
to get the bargain price which was not hard to do...Green giant corn, green beans were 39 cents...hellmans mayo was 2.99..swanson broth was 50 cents..and lots more..so I stocked up...went to Walmart and got great deal on Sheba cat food...each can had buy one get one free coupon on them so I got 12 cans for the price of 6...

o

Wow! Those are great prices. We don't have SaveRite nor Krogers in our area, that I know of.

o

I shopped at Meijer today as I usually do. Sometimes I shop at Sam's Club.

Sue

o

Not groceries but I got a big bag full of clothes from JCPenneys for 25 cents each!! Had to scan a whole bunch of clearance items to find them. Today DD(19) wore shorts and a shirt from the unmarked sale-50 cents LOL. One of the pants I bought my other DD was 25 cents orig $25-thats 99% off!

o

I went to Safeway the other day and they had a great deal on cereal. Normal prices range from $4.50 - $4.98 a box, but they were on sale for $1.99 a box and if you buy 4 or more boxes, they were $1.69 a box. I also had a store coupon for $2.00 off of 5 boxes so for all 5 boxes I think I paid around $6.00 +\- . It lasts for at least a year, so I can stock up on it.

o

Albertson's usually has great deals on meat..usually buy one get one free...this past Saturday, they had buy one get TWO free on sirloin strip steaks. I got $65 worth of steak for $22.

o

We have a local German Brethren discount market (some people think they are Amish that drive cars teehee). One has locally grown squash for 69 cents each, apples out of the bins for 79 cents a pound. You need to watch the dates on some stuff there, but everything is cheaper than in the "regular" stores. I love picking and choosing my fruit and not getting it bagged.

o

I bought a box of Captain Crunch Cereal for $1.

o

At an estate sale last week I got a bag of magazines for two dollars. (a few Better homes and gardens and 15 Taste of Home)

o

Fry's (Kroger) has milk $1.57 a gallon. Don't know if it is just in Arizona but worth looking into.

o

At a small locally owned meat and produce market last week they had English cucumbers wrapped in packages of 3 for $1.99. They were very nice and just very slightly smaller than the singly wrapped English cucs on a nearby display that were priced at $2.99 each. I bought that 3 pack and gave one from the pack to a neighbor thinking that I would not be able to use them up quick enough, and I was still ahead.

This week in a large chain store those same 3 packs of cucs were priced at $3.99.

o

About the only thing I've seen that's cheap, (not quite to my definition of "bargain" tho!) is Edward's pies for $4.79. I bought a Key Lime and a Turtle. I like them both.

o

Was at Shopper's Food Warehouse and they had gorgeous large peppers (green, yellow, orange) for $1 a piece. I bought a few thinking I would use them. I haven't yet, so I might slice them and freeze them. I have done it in the past and the peppers are fine (I thought they might be mushy).

o

I discovered that I had been missing a bargain on laundry detergent. I had been buying detergent in large containers at Sam's Club. Then, one day last summer, I was buying a few items at our local grocer when I spied a sale tags on a few detergent jugs. Those were going for $2 and the normal price had been in the $5 range. This store has limited shelf space and he was making room for another brand. I snatched up a couple jugs. The stuff keeps a long time. After that, I have made a point to walk by the detergent shelves even when I don't need any. Later, I found an unadvertised special and bought a couple more jugs. I haven't had had to buy regular priced detergent in 10 months.

o

Last week WD had Marie Callander pies for $5.99. They're usually $8.99. Of course, they were out of pumpkins and, of course, I forgot to get a rain check :-(

This week they have turkeys for .59 a pound, Butterball for .99.

Publix has fresh tilapia (farm grown) for $5.99--a pretty good deal. Heavy whipping cream 2/$5.00. Need that this time of year for the pies. Land O Lakes butter, 2/$5.00. Maybe not deals where you are, but darned good for here.

Best thing Publix has this week is--and they only have it between now and the end of the year--their Turkey Cranberry Sub. It has turkey, bacon, gruyere cheese and cranberry sauce on it--other stuff if you want (I don't). Those things are just great!!

Our groceries are a little pricey in Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here