Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Decorations

Posted by azzalea (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 18:13

So how do you decorate your home? Do you have themes for certain areas? or is it just 'anything goes'. We've always just had a mix of colors and styles, but just today, I realized that without actually planning it, I'm doing the rooms here in the new house with themes. It's really sort of neat.

Bathroom (all yellow and green tile)--'Christmas ball' theme. I made the shower curtain and window curtains--Shower curtain has a top border of red and green Christmas balls on a black background, the bottom is yellow fabric with holly. I hang matching Christmas balls from the bulbs of over the mirror, have little metal dishes filled with tiny Christmas balls. Towels and rugs are solid red.

Kitchen (yellow and black tile, light wood)--is, naturally in a 'sweets' them. Valances are printed with assorted, colorful Christmas candies, curtains are a green lattice print, I covered the middle part of the curtain rod with red/white striped fabric that I twisted so it looks like a candy cane. I've got a baking nutcracker, hung red and green cookie cutters around, made gingerbread boys out of that flour/salt dough (colored and scented with spices), etc.

Master bedroom is going to be a rocking horse theme--I made curtains of dark green fabric printed with rocking horses and I've got an old iron toy one that's red and green. Keeping my eyes open for more RH decorations.

Living room is 'country'. The room is already a soft, country green and brick red. We have a tree that has snow and berries on it, a real trunk, that we decorate with natural materials and fake birds. Haven't really finished in there yet, but am concentrating on the more muted Christmas colors and natural-looking materials. Oh, and of course, we have a 'leg lamp'.

Outside is 'sweets' too. DH made lighted candy canes (C-7's) for all the windows at the other house, and a couple of really big ones with C-9's for on the front of the house. We have gingerbread men in the yard, Lollipop lights by the front railings, lights shaped like M & M's etc.

Would love to hear about your holiday decorating style

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Decorations

Oh man, I have so much to do! Nothing outside as this house was built in the 40's and there is only one outside outlet on the patio. Everything else is interior.

Window lights in the Living Room, Dining room, and Den.

Tree #1 - Teddy Bear theme in Den
Tree #2 - Candy theme in Family Room
Tree #3 - Main tree in Living Room (no theme - jumble mostly of unbreakable butterflies, wildlife, glitter, birds, sequins, music and angels)

Dickens village in Living Room
Christmas in the City village in Dining Room
North Pole village in Family Room (under Candy tree)

Gingerbread theme in Kitchen

Boyds and Charming Tails Christmas pieces wherever.

Radko ornaments and lights on silver ornament tree in Bedroom.

Geez, just writing this makes me wish I had started two weeks ago!

o

Tally, I wish I'd started two weeks ago too.

Living room tree is done in tropical brights - lime, blue, yellow, pink, orange. The ornaments include cocktails - margaritas, martinis, etc. This is by far the biggest tree (10 ft) & takes me a while to do. I put some of the same ornaments into a big glass container on the coffee table. On the bar in the living room, I fill a pitcher with those ornaments. I put faux snow into cocktail glasses & add mini ornaments in the same colors, garnished with one of the little umbrellas.
Porch tree is done in all white, silver & iridescent with icicles & snowflakes.

Master bedroom tree (pencil tree) was done last year in bronze & green to match our bedroom but I wasn't really happy with the way it turned out. I'm thinking about adding blues & greens (can steal from living room tree) & making it peacock themed this year.

Guest bedroom tree (pencil tree) was done in gold & burgundy last year, but I wasn't happy with it either. I have a bunch of Old World style ornaments that I haven't used in several years & I'm thinking I'll use those on it this year.

I haven't put a tree in the dining room so far, but I'd like to. Dining room is done in a coastal theme. On the table, I put one large & two small glass containers filled with ornaments in blues, pale green, white, & pale gold. I hang beaded snowflakes from the chandelier. I'd love to do a pencil tree in there with those same colors plus sea shell ornaments.

I put a tiny tree on the kitchen bar decorated with mini red ornaments. I add a sliver bar set & martini glasses filled with the faux snow & mini red ornaments.

I have two lighted topiaries outside my front door decorated with mini red ornaments. The front door wreath is red poinsettias. I hang mini wreaths with red ribbon from the windows.

I have a tree for the craft room but the room isn't finished so I won't put it up until next year.

Yep, I should have started two weeks ago. Thankfully, the two pencil trees don't take long at all to decorate. I'm behind because some of the lights on the living room tree weren't working & DH & I spent quite a bit of time replacing burned out bulbs. Plus I had to go in to work for several hours Friday night as well as yesterday.

o

You're decorating styles are fascinating--your homes sound as if they're really lovely and fun.

Was just thinking, DD has done her living room completely in white/cream/silver/copper/gold. Other than the green of the tree, there are NO colored decorations. It's very subtle but absolutely lovey and so sophisticated (unlike mom's Mrs. Santa's Kitchen--LOL).

Hope to hear more descriptions--this is fascinating

o

Well, all my Christmas decorating was done at my daughters yesterday. She has a lot of snow man stuff too, and that all went in the TV room (I don't know, why they call it the TV room, as it is never on. The kids don't know anything about a TV).

I am not decorating here this year. Will be in Germany, and besides, I never decorate till after the older daughters birthday (Dec. 16).

It will be all new for me next year. :)

Moni

o

I only decorate the main area - living room/dining room. I would love to have all mid-century vintage or reproduction decorations at some point. I have been picking them up as I see them but I haven't acquired many yet.

I have a nutcracker collection, which started when my mom gave me a nice one but most are just cheapos, a few are more expensive but still cheap - I wouldn't spend tens of dollars never mind hundreds on something like that but you could. The kids like them. I try to get them a themed one to add to the collection every year but I think I have enough of those right now. They get displayed all together.

Most of my decorating is geared towards the kids right now. I have stuffed animals, animated items, etc. Very few, if any, adults will see my decorating so I make it fun for them.

I have Santa pictures of them from every year framed. We get them taken at Candylane at Hersheypark every year. I display those.

The tree is eclectic - I don't like generic ornaments. I try not to buy ornaments anymore except for those I buy for the kids, something that reflects their interest at the time. I prefer to make them or get them as gifts. I have several ornaments from the KT, from swaps and small ones that have been included in past Christmas card exchanges. I think last year I lost (broke) one of the glass balls Stephanie painted and gave me in a swap. That hurt!

o

My whole house is more or less "vintage look", as far as Christmas decorating is concerned, upscale country traditional in general. My 3 daughters came on Friday and decorated all the larger (5' or more)trees. One in the LR, one in the family room and 3 on the sun porch. Over the years I have collected hundreds of ornaments. Small tabletop trees are in all the other rooms, along with santas, angels etc. All the bookshelves are filled with decorations too. I can see some of you gagging.LOL

I make pictures of the different vignettes and use them to make the decorating quicker and easier. I have never had themes or color schemes only because I like the mix of things I have accumulated over the years. Tradition brings memories and family likes that, with lots and lots or handmade ornaments from special, talented artist friends, that we know from our craft show days. I was a folk artist and my DH did tinsmithing.

The walls in most of my house are very basic colors but my accessories, not necessarily the furniture, are bold colors, lots of red, green, black and gold. I do have red wall paper in my kitchen but there's not a lot of empty wallspace and my cabinets are white.

jude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here