SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresava

Donate vs Selling

teresava
11 years ago

Is there any way to tell when it's better (more economical) to sell items or donate and get the tax write-off? I'm trying to decide what to do with our old baby stuff.

My DDs are getting older and we have A LOT of baby clothes, items, toys, furniture etc. I have given some things to friends, but I was planning to sell most of it at a HUGE local church consignment sale. My DD goes to the preschool at this church. I have been to this particular sale a few times and the prices are fair, no bargaining, so people can potentially make a lot of money.

Here's some background on me. In my family I am the pack-rat and my DH is the neat tidy one. I am also the frugal one. My DH wants to just donate it all, get a write off and be done. Frankly he'd dump it on the side of the road and not think twice, but I have rubbed off on him a little to not waste.

I want to sell it and make some money. Probably $400-500ish? Selling in the sale means making tags on the computer, fastening with safety pins, hanging them on hangers and paying $10 for the vendor fee. The church also keeps 30% of the profits, which I would feel good supporting them. I know it will be a lot of work, but I think the reward would be a nice big check.

Please don't suggest having a garage sale. Around here people want to haggle for 10 or 25 cents.

So am I crazy? I am slightly heading towards the donation route now too, because the house is getting cluttered and the sale is not until early Spring time, but I have a HARD time letting go of the idea of a big check. We don't NEED it to cover bills or anything, but wouldn't it be nice to have!

Comments (25)