SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Another Victim of Hurricane Sandy

jannie
11 years ago

One of my sisters-in-law lives on the south shore of Long Island, literally one block from the water. She lives downstairs, her landlady (the owner) lives upstairs. After Sandy hit (knocking out all our electric) I phoned her. Seems water had come in her apartment and she had moved in with the landlady. It's now more than a week and she still doesn't have electric or heat. I've invited her to stay with me (we got our power back after 22 hours) but she won't.She doesn't drive, never learned. She managed to get to her job every day this week so far. She's been staying in a cold dark apartment and cleaning at night , throwing out her water-logged rugs and belongings, including most of her clothing, luggage and Christmas decorations.She eats in local restaurants or at FEMA shelters. She walked a mile and a half to vote yesterday. But she's decided to leave Long Island. Friday the movers are packing her remaining belongings and putting them in storage. Saturday she will move in with her sister up near Albany. She has quit her job. Luckily she's old enough to apply for Social Security.

Comments (11)