Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you put this ingredient in your sweet potato pie?

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 17:19

Sweet potato pie
3 large sweet potato , peeled and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
1/4 cup heavy cream
****** 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup*********
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (9-inch) frozen pie crust
Directions
Heat the oven to 350F.
Place the potatoes into a 3-quart saucepan and add water to cover. Heat over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes well in a colander.
Place the potatoes and heavy cream into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is fluffy. Beat in the soup, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the potato mixture into the pie crust and place onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 1 hour or until set. Let the pie cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3 hours.
Time-Saving: Substitute 1 3/4 cups drained and mashed canned sweet potatoes for the fresh mashed sweet potatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you put this ingredient in your sweet potato pie?

I wouldn't but then again it might make for a pretty pie, might taste okay too. I just use my pumpkin pie recipe for my sweet potato pies.

Sue

o

No, I personally wouldn't put it in--but that's because I don't buy or use canned soups. They're too high in sodium and I prefer to make my own.

However, that being said, there is a tomato spice cake that uses canned soup that's supposed to be VERY good (again, have never made or eaten it, myself)--so this recipe isn't totally out of the realm, I suppose.

o
RE: Would you p ut this ingredient in your sweet potato pie?

I can vouch for the tomato spice cake. Made it and it was very good.

o

I'd use it! I would probably decrease the amount of brown sugar, though.
Let us know how it turns out.

o
RE: Would you put this ingrebbbdient in your sweet potato pie?

Oh, I'm not making it, Just saw it on my aol page and thought I'd share :o)

o

I wouldn't--no way, no how. I learned a huge lesson last year not to mess with Thanksgiving dinner. Remember my half-baked (literally) Cornish game hens? And the green beans that tasted raw because cooked them in the crockpot? There were a few other screw-ups but I've thankfully forgotten them :-)

o

I thought this was about that news clip this morning where (in Wash state I think) they were putting marijuana (sp) in deserts and veggies for Thanksgiving

o
RE: Wonnnuld you put this ingredient in your sweet potato pie?

I made a chocolate sauerkraut cake once. Everyone enjoyed and were amazed kraut was in the cake.

o

I just can't think of a good reason for adding it into the pie...Something so good doesn't need a can of soup eith all the salt and preservatives etc etc etc

o

I would save your new ideas for an off day not a holiday.I tried something new in my candied yams and I thought it was good but it did not go over good with my grandson.He wanted the old way .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here