SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Do Smells Trigger memories For You?

User
9 years ago

For many people, and for me especially, scents can trigger memories. Most of them are pleasant. Perhaps I blot out the unpleasant ones.

I grew up in a house that was heated with a wood stove. On the rare occasions when I smell wood smoke today I can close my eyes and recall the surroundings of my childhood. Should that smoke be accompanied by the smell of kerosene which I would usually consider unpleasant, I am transported back to Doyle, Minnesota on a summer morning. As I awoke it was often the odor that I smelled and it meant that my mother had started the fire in the kitchen range. On a cool summer morning it hung in the dewy air. It was gradually replaced by the fragrance of home cured bacon frying and meant that breakfast would soon be ready. There is a certain security in that memory of a childhood free from worries and sure of love and caring.

Some might be surprised to hear that I would not find the odor of a cow barn repulsive. When I visited our nearby farm I sometimes watched the milking. The barn, I will admit, was not so pleasant in the summer but in the winter it was a warm place, warmer than being outside. While I didn�t revel in the smell it became familiar and not offensive.

I think all would agree with me that the smell of freshly baked bread is wonderful. It was another prevalent fragrance in my home as my mother baked at least twice a week. Should I have the good luck to pass by a bakery the yeasty smell immediately brings back that pleasure. I still bake bread on occasion, as much for the fragrance as the taste.

When I was in boarding school we scheduled our baths in the shared bathrooms. Most of us in those depression years used very ordinary soaps, those that were inexpensive. I sometimes had Camay or Woodbury, or maybe Lux. All of them had a pleasant fragrance.

But I wondered what soap Alice, one of the few "rich" girls used. The fragrance was wonderful. I was pleased if I was able to schedule a bath time immediately following hers as the perfume lingered. It now seems strange to me that I never asked her what soap she used. Later in my life I tried to find it. I settled on Cashmere Bouquet for a while, though I knew it wasn�t "the one". Then I discovered Yardley Lavender and knew that I was getting close. Many years later I bought a bar of real English lavender and that was it! I still use that soap, mostly gifted to me by my daughters because it "smells like Mother."

For me, at least, memories are triggered by smell and many, many of them are happy ones. Do you find that trigger in your lives?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths