Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wah!!! My grandson!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 16:57

He's outgrown me :o(

Now that he has his drivers license and has his own vehicle, he doesn't need me to take him to the dermatologist, today, or to the orthodontist :o)

Just another passage of time in ones life!

Lol, he did call me on the cell phone and asked if I would stay with him making sure he was going in the right direction.

OK, grandmother, I'm here, bye!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wah!!! My grandson!

Don't worry, the next stage is gas money. :)

I hope he was at least using a hands-free unit to call you, even though that's distracting as well. It makes me nervous to think of new drivers on cell phones. Experienced drivers are bad enough!

If he doesn't have a GPS, that might be a nice Christmas gift. I couldn't live without mine!

o
RE: Wah!!! My gra vv ndson!

There was more silence than talk. I was just giving him landmarks to look for once he got in the area.

Please no issue on driving with cells, here. I know all that and agree.

Just making a statement about grandson growing up.

Yep, gps is on the wish list.

o

Oh, is THAT all? I was thinking he'd gotten a steady girlfriend! lol

o

I thought maybe an accident-whew! He might have gps on his phone? DD does. If not, its a great gift idea!! How is he doing with the derm? DS(13) had to go on antibiotic pills last month.

o
RE: Wvvvah!!! My grandson!

chisue, THAT's a lot to me :o)

We had great grandmother-grandson bonding time in the car, traveling from his mom's to his dad's, doctors appointments, etc.

NOW he can come to me which he did twice over Thanksgiving.

o
RE: Wah!!! My grannndson!

lisa, he's been off his meds for 6 months. This was a checkup to see if he needed them again, but his skin is beautiful right now, except for an occasional blemish that pops up. Nothing like before, thank goodness.

o

Awww, Glender - he's a up-and-coming MAN now, and you are a very loved memory/fall guy. He'll be back, but right now, he's establishing his position in the universe.

o

On the brighter side he can come visit whenever he wants. And that's a good thing!

o

Glenda, I really understand what you are saying. There's no replacement for that car time with just the two of you. I loved picking up my grandsons from school, talking, getting homework done, having a snack. Now there is an estrangement between DIL and me so she doesn't ask me this year.

o

I love your relationship!

o

just a suggestion, but I would get him a regular GPS with a stand. DS was looking down at his gps in his phone and rear ended a guy on the freeway. Thank goodness it was
Seattle traffic on Thanksgiving and he was travelling very
slowly. They pulled over to the side of the freeway, and then the guy just took off ! Didn't get out of his car or
anything. Ry thinks its because the guy cut in front of
him with not enough room. Ry's license plate got dented is all.

o
RE: Wah!!! My grancccdson!

His dad is getting one and not one on his phone.

o

As my oldest was getting ready to drive, I discovered that she did not know the names of all the major streets in the various suburbs around us. We lived in one town, but she went to high school in the next town over. So as we drove around, I would ask her what street we were on, what intersection was coming up, etc. I felt if she learned the main roads and stop light intersections, etc, she would not struggle so much with directions or finding her way. I guess it worked.

o

oh they start young! were driving over to dgd's other gma, and let her navigate, lol...she's 10...did pretty well...when the kids were small and i'd get double trip tiks from aaa...we had one, they had one...they all do pretty well with regular maps now, although dd1 has home visits in her job, so she has gps...

o
RE: Wannh!!! My grandson!

GS and I have a great relationship.
His new vehicle which he paid for in cash from money earned, is not the most desirable, but his first which he is so proud of.

He's not good in navigating, at least in my area, and that's why we do check point when he's on his on. He trusts his grandmother, yeah

o

Glenda, is this your only grandchild or do you have others? I've never seen you speak about any others, only this one.

o

I remember the teen years, driving my 2 daughters everywhere. We had some great talks in the car, sorry to see it end.

o

I have one son and one grandson. I'm blessed to have those two.

o

Aw Glenda!
Yep, big milestone! Part of growing up, but darn I wish they didn't do it so stinking fast!!!!!!
My oldest DGS Hunter is taller than me and his Mom and almost taller than DH now! OMG his voice is deeper, he wears a size 13 shoe!!!!!
He'd better not start patting his Nana on the head next! ;)

o

They all grow up, sooner or later. Not that we like it. But you can never outgrow your Grandmother.

o

The talk about navigating reminded me of a story about my niece. Her parents went on vacation and my sister flew up to Boston to take care of the two little ones. DN was not quite 3 and DSis was driving her to nursery school one morning, when Miss Niece told my sister she wasn't a very good driver. My sister ask her why she thought that and she said, "You didn't turn right at the street back there." (Niece was right!) That is the most observant child I've ever known.

Didn't mean to hijack your post, Glenda. But my niece is 5 now and still funny!

o

Now HE can come pick YOU up to go somewhere. I remember when I first learned how to drive, I would go anywhere!! Need some milk? I'll run to the store anywhere anytime! Now it's old hat!

o

Yes Glenda, you are blessed! Having the one grandchild explains the close bond you have with him, lucky you! :)

o

Precious moments!

o

Bake chocolate chip cookies! Grandson will appear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here