Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Thanksgiving - Week 1 November 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 16:57

I have two menues set up for Thanksgiving - trying to decide if I want to go traditional or something very different for us. The below recipe is the way I like to make stock and gravy, which can all be done ahead.

My Make Ahead Turkey Stock and Turkey Gravy

Making the Stock

8 smoked turkey necks (if cannot find smoked, use non-smoked)
2 onions, peeled and cut half crosswise and then in thirds (reserve onion peelings to put in stock for a rich golden color)

Salt and pepper necks and put into a large roasting pan, spread onions on top of necks. Put into cold oven, turn temperature to 400 and roast for 1 1/2 hours.

8 t chicken bouillon granules or Better Than Bouillon Turkey Base
3/4 cup whole baby carrots
Onion peelings
1/2 t dried thyme
Add the turkey necks
9 cups hot water, divided

Put the bouillon granules, carrot, reserved onion peeling, dried thyme, turkey necks into a large saucepan.

Heat 8 cups water in an electric kettle, add to saucepan and stir well. Heat another cup of water in the electric kettle and pour into roasting pan to deglaze well, stir and scrape to get up all bits, then pour into saucepan with other ingredients. Cover and put on burner. Turn heat to medium to bring to a simmer; lower heat until broth is slightly simmering and cook for 2 hours. Turn off heat, leave on stove, and let everything cool down overnight. Letting the necks cool in the stock is very important! It just makes the stock more robust. All the flavor and natural gelatins remain in the broth as long as possible.

The next morning place a sieve-type colander on top of a large bowl and put turkey necks standing as upright as possible into the sieve to drain into bowl. Let drain thoroughly.

When thoroughly drained, remove meat from necks. From 8 necks I get about 4 cups of meat. Put in dish and freeze. Save for soups, sandwiches, etc. Put turkey bones in a Ziploc bag and put in freezer for later stock making.

Pour and scrape all goodies from saucepan into sieve colander and let drip into large bowl. When thoroughly drained, take a large metal spoon and start mashing carrots, onions, etc., so that they drip their essence into the liquid. Will have to do this mashing several times and will end up having to scrape goodies off the sieve into the bowl. Cover bowl and put in refrigerator overnight. Stock will be very gelatinous.

Discard leavings in sieve into trash.

NOTE: If not making gravy and you just want to freeze the stock, store gelatinous stock in 2 cup portions in freezer Ziplock bags laid flat � this makes them easy to stack and easy to thaw. Also freeze some in ice cube trays for just a little shot of stock when it is needed.

Making the Gravy

This makes lots of gravy. You can reduce the amounts to suit your family.

Skim fat off top of broth if you want to. If you do, save the fat to use in making the gravy roux.

Heat 3/4 cup butter (or the skimmed fat and enough butter to make 3/4 cup) in a pan, add 3/4 cup flour; whisk together well until a nice golden brown. Slowly whisk 8 cups stock (if stock is congealed, heat to liquefy) into the roux. If desired, can add 2 T Madeira. Cook until reaches desired gravy consistency (remember gravy will get thicker as it sets, so be sure to cook only until it just below the consistency wanted in the end). Serve, or pour into containers and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 6 months.

Can store gravy in 2 cup portions in freezer Ziplock bags laid flat � this makes them easy to stack and easy to thaw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Thanksgiving - Week 1 November 2013

PUMPKIN TEA BREAD
makes 2 loaves

3 1/3 c. sifted flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 lb can pumpkin (15 oz is fine)
2/3 c water
2/3 c soft, solid shortening such as Crisco
2 2/3 c sugar
2 eggs

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices together. Set aside. Mix pumpkin and water in a small bowl; reserve. Combine shortening, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer at high speed for 3 minutes.

Remove bowl from mixer and stir in flour mixture alternately with the pumpkin mixture, beating after each addition until the batter is smooth.

Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until cake tester comes out clean and loaves pull away a little from the side of the pans. (My oven needs 1 hour and 5 minutes.) Cool in pans 10 minutes, turn loaves out on a rack to cool. Wrap in foil or waxed paper, put in a plastic baggie and store in the refrigerator till ready to serve. This bread can be stored sliced but kept in a loaf shape, and it will stay moist. I have baked this recipe in 4 half loaf pans too, and usually cut the baking time by about 5 minutes.

o

If I could have my candied yams, that's all I would need for Thanksgiving dinner!!

Candied/baked sweet potatoes

1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place sweet potatoes in a medium baking dish.

Distribute butter pieces evenly over the sweet potatoes.

Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Layer with miniature marshmallows.

Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted.

I turn the broiler on and let the top get good and brown - watch it closely - it only takes about 45 seconds.

o

Gal from KT, Elle who lived in NY gave me a recipe that I used many a time.

ritz cracker stuffing

RITZ Cracker Stuffing

Prep: 20 mins - Total: 55 mins

1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine or butter
1 pkg. (1 lb.) RITZ Crackers, coarsely crushed (about 7 cups crumbs)
2 cups PLANTERS Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten

Cook mushrooms, onion and celery in margarine in skillet on medium heat until tender.

Mix cracker crumbs, walnuts, parsley, poultry seasoning, pepper and vegetable mixture in large bowl. Add broth and eggs, tossing until well blended. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish or pan; cover.

Bake at 325°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

o

I've tried brining turkeys and I've tried cooking with butter soaked cheese cloth, cooking it breast-side down and then flipping but the best turkey, nice and juicy and so much easier than the other methods, is the following:

Juicy Turkey

1. 2 T. dried parsley
2. 2 T. ground dried rosemary
3. 2T. rubbed dried sage
4. 2 T. dried thyme leaves
5. 1 T. lemon pepper
6. 1 T. salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 orange, cut in wedges
1 onion, chopped
1carrot, chopped
1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
1 bottle champagne
1 15 - 20 lb. turkey

Preheat oven 350. Line a turkey roaster with long sheets of aluminum foil, long enough to wrap over turkey.
Stir together 1 -6 in small bowl. Rub mix into cavity and over turkey. Stuff turkey with the celery, onion, orange and carrot. Place on foil in roasting pan. Pour broth and champagne over turkey, making sure to getting some in cavity. Bring foil up over turkey and seal, trying to keep foil from touching any part of the bird. Bake 2 1/2 - 3 hours until no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear. Uncover and continue roasting until skin turns golden brown. 30 min to 1 hour longer. Instant read thermometer in thigh should read 180. Remove turkey and tent with foil. Let rest 10 - 15 min before carving.

o

This is a link to the turkey recipe we used few years ago for Thanksgiving. It's Bobby Flay's Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and Sour Orange Sauce. We all agreed it was the best turkey we'd ever had.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobby Flay's Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and Sour Orange Sauce

o

You owe it to yourself to make this dish with the whipping cream the first time you make it. If you decide you like it and would like to make it less caloric, you can substitute 1/2 and 1/2 for the whipping cream, add chopped onion, add grated cheese (whatever your heart desires) the next time you make it.

BEST EASY POTATO CASSEROLE

1 32-oz bag shredded hash brown potatoes
1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Mix the hash browns with the cream, salt & pepper in a big bowl and stir to mix well. Pour potato mixture into a buttered 9X13 pan. (You can actually pour the hasbrowns into the baking pan then pour the cream over the potatoes, then salt and pepper; however, it is easier to distribute the salt and pepper by mixing in the bowl, then putting into the baking dish.) Bake uncovered at 350 until potatoes are glazy and slightly brown on top, about an hour.

o

walnutcreek, have you made the potatoes with whipping cream, yourself? Sounds interesting.

o

This is my sisters recipe for Sweetpotato Casserole it is excellent.
Sweet Potato Casserole
3c sweet potatoes (about 4-5 med cooked and peeled)
1/2cup butter
2eggs beaten
1tsp. Vanilla
1/3cup milk
1cup or so of sugar (your taste)
Boil, peel, and then mash potatoes. Mix in butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk, and sugar, you can beat this. Put in 13x9 baking dish sprayed with pam lightly.
Topping:
1/3cup melted butter
1cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
Melt butter and mix in remaining ingredients. Sprinkle on top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 mins.

This is my recipe for Sweetpotato casserole it is even better! It forms a beautiful praline on top of the sweetpotatoes.
Praline-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Description: Sweet potatoes the way God intended.
Ingredients: 8 sweet potatoes
2 cups of chopped pecans
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of oleo
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions: 1. Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for about one hour(till soft); peel, slice and place in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

2. Mix together pecans, brown sugar, oleo, salt and vanilla in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook for about two minutes. Watch and stir constantly you just want it to melt and blend.

3. Pour over potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. (It makes a praline) watch very closely not to burn

I usually add a few pats of butter right on the sliced potatoes in the baking dish and sprinkle on a little cinnamon and nutmeg too before putting the topping on.

** additional way of doing the potatoes. Bake(wrap in foil) then peel and slice up into bowl. Add ½ to ¾ cup eggnog, some cinnamon and nutmeg, several pats of butter, some honey and some brown sugar, and 2 TBS of orange marmalade. Stir up well then put into the casserole dish, put in oven at 350 for 15 or 20 minutes. Take out of oven and Continue to #2 and #3.

Yield 8 servings

o

It is not the holidays for us with out Cajun Dirty Rice or Cajun Rice Dressing. This is the super easy method and does not use any of the various organ meats just uses hamburger. You can chop up some green onion tops and just sprinkle on top of the cooked dish for looks.

Cajun Dirty Rice or Rice Dressing:

1 lb. lean ground beef(raw)
1 cup raw rice
1 can cream of onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom and roasted garlic soup(or plain)
1 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped red onion
2 stalks celery chopped
1 1/2 Tbs. Cajun seasoning (Tony’s)
1 tsp.garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper
I always do this in a throw away alum.foil pan.
Size: 11 5/8 x 9 1/4 x 2 1/2 inch spray with pam
put in the gr.beef spread out evenly,
sprinkle in the rice, peppers, onions, celery. In a bowl mix the soups together with the seasonings then pour over all and using your hands mix it all up real well make sure all the rice is wet.
Cover the pan with alum foil tightly leaving one corner open to vent.
Cook in 350 degree oven for an hour. Then take off foil and stir. Continue cooking till all liquid has been absorbed and the top is lightly browned (at least 1/2 hr). After done keep foil on till ready to serve to keep moist.
*There is really only one way to mix this stuff up and that is to do it with your hands so roll up your sleeves and wash those hands!
Since all ovens cook differently it varies as to how long it takes for this to be done. I usually have to let it cook for about another 45 mins at least after removing the foil. You want the rice to be well cooked and not mushy or soupy.

o

We love this Strawberry pretzel stuff. It sounds weird but it is so good.

Pretzel Salad
2c. pretzels coarsely crushed
¾ cup melted oleo
3tbs sugar
1(8oz)pkg cream cheese
1c sugar
1(8oz) ctn cool whip
1large pkg strawberry jello
2(10oz) pkg frozen strawberries or raspberries

Mix together first 3 ingredients. Spread into 9x13 inch dish. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes. Cool. Beat together cheese and sugar. Stir in cool whip. Spread on cooled pretzel crust. Dissolve jello in boiling water(2 cups). Stir in strawberries and let set for 10 mins. Pour on top of cheese mixture. Refrigerate until firm.

And if you love pecan pie but need it sugar free this pie is just as good as the real thing. You can not tell the difference.

Sugar free Pecan Pie

1 cup sugar free honey
1cup splenda
1tsp vanilla
1 9” deep dish pie shell
3 eggs
2 tbs butter
1 ¼ cup pecans

Pre heat oven to 350
In a large bowl combine the honey, eggs, splenda, butter and vanilla until well blended.
Stir in pecans and pour into deep dish pie shell.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool
Top with dab of cool whip light if desired.
(be sure to label it as sugar free!)

We found the sugar free honey at walmart where the regular honey is. It really looks and tastes like real honey. And you will find so many uses for this stuff!
This is a link to it at walmart so you know what it looks like.
HoneyTree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey

o

Whipping cream is simply a heavy cream with a lower fat content. It adds a delectable quality to any dish that you'd use milk in. I haven't made the particular potato dish mentioned above (YET), but I have used whipping cream in escalloped potatoes and gratins.

o

Glenda, my daughter makes this dish and gave me the recipe. It is wonderfully easy and tastes delicious. Plus, it saves lots of time in that you don't have to peel potatoes or whip them up.

o

My recipe is~~~drive to Pismo Beach, stay at my beach front hotel. Go into Avila beach for lunch on Tday. Have Thanksgiving dinner at the Lido Resort
restaurant on TDay;) Black Friday drive into San Luis Obispo, go to a nice craft fair~~have a yummy lunch, look in the shops in the downtown area:)

o

Duplicate post

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 15:12

o

YogaLady - Stop by and see me when you go to the SLO Vets hall on Friday! I'm right in front of the double doors in the main hall - I sell the redneck wine glasses - etched! Love to say HI to ya!

o

I'm sure game, Yoga Lady!

o

OMG~GrandmaBonnie!!! My DH and I both remember those 'redneck' glasses!! YES! We will be there forsure and I can not wait to meet you!!

I love this craft show it will be our 3rd time there~~not to big not too small;) Just the right size and some very nice stuff, esp the kettle corn;)

See YA!!!

o

I haven't made this yet, but I think it will be our second dessert for Thanksgiving. Pumpkin pie is #1.

PINA COLADA TRIFLE (Family Circle)

1 box (18.25 ounces) pineapple or banana cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup lemon yogurt (from two 6-ounce containers)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons rum extract
1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup maraschino cherries
1/4 cup toasted coconut for garnish, if desired

Heat oven to 350 F. Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, yogurt and eggs on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl after 1 minute.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool on rack completely. Trim off about 1 inch from edges and reserve for snacking. Cut cake into 1-inch cubes.

In a large bowl, beat heavy cream and rum extract until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the marshmallow cream; fold in crushed pineapple with its juice.

Place half of the cake cubes in a 14- to 16-cup trifle dish; gently press to compact. Sprinkle half of the coconut and scatter half of the cherries over cubes. Spoon half of the whipped cream mixture evenly over cubes. Repeat layering. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with toasted coconut, if desired, before serving.

o

I love that show - Kathy does a great job keeping it "handmade crafts only" I used to do the Morro Bay show the next day( Sunday) but I didn't have enough product! I decided to not go to Morro Bay as it was just too many days in a row and I was beat! Can't wait to see you this year... To continue with this thread, I always make a pumpking dump cake - the kids prefer it to pumpkin pie...
I use the pre-made pumpkin where all you have to add is the eggs and the condensed milk - place it in an 8"x 8" pan and then sprinkle half a yellow cake ()dry) over the top with a full stick of melted margerine poured over the top. Cook for the times given on the back of the pumpkin pie - I always forget and the directions are so handy... Of course, Cool Whip or whipping cream is perfect on the warm cake... ...and if you stand up while eating this, there are no calories!!!

o

That Pina Colada Trifle sounds great. We love the pretzel salad; my mom first made it many years ago and we always think of her when it is made here.

Here is another quick and easy recipe.

Creamed Corn

1 20-ounce package frozen corn kernels
1 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons sugar
Small pinch cayenne pepper
1 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoons flour
Parsley for garnish, optional

Combine all ingredients except last two in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Blend butter with flour. Add to the corn. Mix well and remove from heat. Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with parsley. NOTE: This can very easily be doubled or tripled

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 13:09

o

I make at least one of these pies each Thanksgiving in remembrance of my Dad - it was his favorite.

Egg Custard Pie

1 9" frozen pie shell, thawed
3 eggs, beaten
1 C sugar
1/4 C butter, melted
2 T all purpose flour
1 C evaporated milk
1 t vanilla
1/2 t nutmeg

Bake pie shell at 400 for 5 minutes, let cool. Combine butter, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Add beaten eggs and blend well. Pour into pie shell and bake at 325 for 45-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Do not overbake.

o

We love egg custard pie. Thank you for this recipe, Hoovergal. When you prebake the pie crust, do you use pie weights or just bake as is??

Thanks!

o

Mmmm, egg custard pie. That is one of my comfort foods.

o

This pumpkin bread pudding has become a tradition for us. So smooth and creamy, even without the caramel sauce. Since my Mom was diabetic, I have always made it with Splenda and no one every noticed unless I told them.

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with caramel sauce.
•2 cups half and half
•1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
•1 cup (packed) plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
•2 large eggs
•1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
•1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
•1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•10 cups 1/2-inch cubes egg bread (about 10-ounces)
•1/2 cup golden raisins
Caramel sauce•1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
•1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
•1/2 cup whipping cream
•Powdered sugar

Preparation

For bread pudding:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla extract in large bowl to blend. Fold in bread cubes. Stir in golden raisins. Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch glass baking dish. Let stand 15 minutes. Bake pumpkin bread pudding until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce:
Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.

Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding. Serve warm with caramel sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildfire's Bread Pudding

o

PK, did you use regular white Splenda in place of the brown sugar in both the pudding and the sauce?

o

This may not sound very good (uses canned corn) but believe me, you will be amazed if you try it. It's one of the recipes I've made when family comes and they all take the recipe home and make it themselves. It will be on our menu this T-giving.

Corn Casserole

1 can corn, drained
1 can ceamed corn
4 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 stick of butter, melted
1 c milk
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour, 15 minutes. This recipe can easily be double or tripled but you may need to increase the baking time.

o

This year presents some fun options as Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah fall on the same day. Crazy! Happy Thanksgivukkah,

I hadn't really thought about the menu yet, but as usual, I get inspired by you all.

KASHA DRESSING

1 cup kasha (buckwheat groats)

1 lightly beaten egg

Another lightly beaten egg

1/2 stick unsalted butter

1 cup onion, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

1/2 cup carrot, julienned

1/4 tsp. ground sage (more)

Pinch thyme, salt, pepper

2 cups chicken or turkey broth

Heat a little oil in a saute pan, add the combined egg and kasha and saure until egg is completely cooked and kasha crumbly. Remove from pan.

Add butter and all veggies to the pan and saute until slightly translucent, add seasonings. Reduce heat.

Return kasha to pan and add broth. Simmer until liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat, temper the second egg then stir it in.

Place in greased casserole dish and bake, covered, at 350° for 45 min.

o

Seagrass - I do use pie weights when I bake the crust. I usually just use coffee beans.

Enjoy!

o

Thank you!

o

I have posted this before, but am posting again. We just can't get enough of this at Thanksgiving (the only time of the year that I make it).

My Fabulous Green Bean Casserole

This is the only one my family loves to eat. I have to make it every Thanksgiving.

3 can Blue Lake cut green beans, drained (I use whole green beans)
1 10-oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese (I use 3 large handfuls)
1 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon MSG, optional (I use Accent)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I use about 4-5 shakes out of the bottle)
1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (I use 4-oz)

Put drained beans a baking dish. Place chopped water chestnuts on top of beans. Sauté mushrooms and onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add black pepper and MSG. Measure milk and cream into 2 cup measuring cup; add soy sauce, MSG, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce to milk; stir. Pour milk into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Add cheese and stir to distribute. Pour over green beans in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can actually cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time or vice versa; just watch and do not let get real brown.

You can also top with a mixture of bread or cracker crumbs and butter before baking. I just don't particularly care for it that way, because the gold from the cheese is so pretty. This is one of those dishes you can also prepare the day before, then just stick in oven before serving. I think it is actually better the second day.

o

Hoovergal, your recipe for egg custard brought a wonderful memory to me. I immediately mind saw my grandmother making egg custard. Then, after she took it out of the oven, my sister and I standing (or when we were younger kneeling in chairs at the kitchen table) around the pie inhaling the wonderful aroma and we could hardly wait to have a slice.

o

magic AZ, I use the Splenda brown sugar. Be sure to check the package as it does NOT measure like the white version. You use much less.

o

Thank you Walnutcreek - that is a wonderful memory!

o

Made this last year and it was a keeper!

Individual Pumpkin custard
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fluid ounces) Evaporated Milk
Directions
PREHEAT oven to 300 F.

MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe.

POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking sheet.

BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whipped cream, if desired.

***Served mine at room temperature

o

I have a request for our great cooks/bakers. I need a really good recipe for yeast rolls. I have my mothers, but it calls for 6-1/2 cups of flour :-) We had a large family and ate every one of them!!

o

CRANBERRY BUTTER

1-16 ounce whole-berry cranberry sauce
2 cups butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon grated orange peel (op)
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat on high for 2 minutes or until creamy. Spoon into a crock or dish; cover and refrigerate. Serve on toast, English muffins, or bagels.

Yield: 3 ½ cups

o

Patti my recipe for yeast rolls uses about 9 cups.

Sue

o

Thank You PK.

o

Chocolate Trifle

First made this for Christmas dinner in 2012. We fell in love with it the taste of it, and it is so easy to make. You can make it for any holiday and use the seasonal colored M&Ms.

1 box devil's food cake mix
1 16-oz container cool whip
Hershey's Syrup
M&Ms

Make the cake according to package directions. When cool, cut/break into pieces about 2x2 inches, and arrange 1/2 in the bottom of the trifle dish. Drizzle generously with Hershey's Syrup, and top with 1/2 of the cool whip. Repeat until trifle bowl is full, and sprinkle top with seasonal garnish (red & green M&Ms for Christmas, pastel M&Ms for Easter, etc.)

o

This is so good and can be made the day before and left to marinate overnight.

Carrot Salad

4 cups shredded carrots (about 4 large)
3/4 to 1-1/2 cups raisins
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

Place carrots and raisins in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, sugar and enough milk to achieve dressing consistency. Pour over carrot mixture; toss to coat. 8 servings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here