Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Method Do You Use?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 16:13

I was discussing this with a couple of my daughters and I wonder which method do you use, if you wish to make a withdrawal from your checking account. ATM, write a check to yourself or use a checking withdrawal slip?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Method Do You Use?

Of your choices... check to self.
I never received checking account withdrawal slips.... only deposit slips.
I do not have an ATM card - never did!

I prefer MY choice... cash bask at a register.

o

ATM in a branch of my bank.

o

I write a check to myself (never to cash). Other than moving my direct deposits out of one bank to another so they cannot be accessed by the depositors (that can happen and is a HUGE hassle to fix), I never take money out of the bank, though. It goes in for a reason--and stays there.

Don't/won't use ATM's (don't even have a card). And while my bank does have withdrawal slips, can't see the point of using them when I have checks.

o

Usually I get extra cash back at the grocery or hardware store. I rarely ever go to the bank anymore for anything.

o

All of the above, well, except for the withdrawal slip. Don't know that I've ever used one. Also get cash back when checking out at a store.

o

I usually write a check to myself. Safer that way because the banks asks for ID and/or debit card.

o

ATM card, never write check to myself and have never seen withdrawal slips for checking account. I use debit card for almost all my purchases and never get cash back when I do write a check.

o

Never used ATM card

o

I get cash back at various stores I am shopping at. My husband sometimes does get cash from the bank if he is going there for some reason.

o

I don't have a debit card, but an ATM card. I use it to get cash, when I want/need some.

Moni

o

If I need cash I write a check to myself and use the drive thru teller. I probably do that once a month or so - I use a credit card for almost all my purchases so I don't carry much cash.

o

I use my debit card for most purchases and get cash back at the grocery store if I need cash. I rarely go to the bank. I am surprised that some of you have never had an ATM or debit card.

o

Drive up ATM. Usually about every other month or so, we don't use a lot of cash.

o

I get cash back at the grocery store while using my debit card. My DH goes to the bank and gets cash. I rarely set foot in my bank.

o

Why so surprised, Linda? One doesn't need an ATM or debit card if you pay for everything with cash. Much safer--with cash you can only lose a finite amount. Using all those electronic and card transactions, you run the risk of identity theft. My next door neighbor had hers stolen and it was over $30,000 out of her pocket in legal fees and YEARS, before she got it sorted out. I'd rather lose a few hundred$$$ any day.

Have to admit, I do have one credit card--but it stays in the safe. Only used because we have to order our meds mail order and they insist upon a credit card. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even have that one card.

o

ATM 95% of the time.
I don't understand peoples' aversions to ATMs?

o

Generally, I use a debit card at my bank. If I need a larger amount, then I will write a check to myself in the bank.

o

I write a check to myself

o

"I am surprised that some of you have never had an ATM or debit card."

Why?
I have never come across a situation where I needed one.

I charge virtually everything. And a CC is way safer than a debit card....

o

ATMs, most of the time.
But I'm trying to write checks instead, because the ATM slips end up in my purse and I don't always take them out immediately to note the transaction in my checkbook register. Of course, that doesn't happen when I write a check.

o

ATM. Then I go in the bank and change those twenties for smaller bills.

o

Using an ATM then going into the bank seems like a redundancy to me. Why not just use the teller and get the denominations you want right away?

Haven't used an ATM for decades. I use the bank. Usually drive up or use one of the mini banks in a grocery store. My bank is open 7 days a week and longer hours than most are. I have a stack of deposit and withdrawal slips in the vehicle. The problem is they limit drive up withdrawals to something like $150 but that's usually enough. I don't need a lot of cash except when I was paying for mowing, or the rare time when I order a pizza or something. I use the credit card for most all transactions when I can although I like some cash for tips and small transactions.

Don't know if they still charge, but they used to charge a fee for cashback on transaction so I never got into that.

Can't think of the last time I wrote a check. I do most payments online.

o

I use my bank's ATM. They don't charge me a fee.

o

My credit union doesn't use tellers anymore. They have some people working there but the banking is mostly through machines.

The only checks I write anymore is for rent. Everything else I pay online. My pay checks are deposited directly. Pretty much nowhere takes checks anymore when shopping anyway, so I don't even carry the checkbook. I've never written a check to myself before.

If I want cash I either go to an ATM or get cash back with another purchase. I almost exclusively use my debit card and rarely have cash on hand.

o

We use the ATM's that don't charge a fee for our credit union. Every Publix has one, no matter where we are in the state.

Pammyfay, if you can figure out how much cash you need in a month, you can call the bank and have that amount transferred from your checking to your savings account. That way you can withdraw from your savings account at an ATM and don't have to remember to save those receipts. Harry's been doing that since before I met him. Probably for good reason :-)

o

For those who worry about saving ATM receipts - why?
I simply go on-line, and see what has cleared.

I despise paper, and haven't written a check for years, don't get paper statements in the mail, either. Rather than mailing a check to pay a bill (save postage costs, and you KNOW it will get there). On-line, I can have a check sent from the bank to any individual, not just a business.

o

At my usual bank branch, I smile at the teller, give her my bank book and tell her how much cash I need.

S/he may ask what size bills I need, then gets the cash from the security window or the machine, counts it out and gives it to me, then asks me to sign the receipt, which shows which account it came from, then she gives me back my bank book with the transaction recorded, which I check.

When visiting a different branch the other day, the lady asked for an access card, which I showed her.

When she brought the money, I asked her how she could be sure that I wasn't a stranger using the access card that I'd found/stolen.

She said that before she gave me the money, she'd ask for picture ID.

The other day in the usual branch they had a poster recommending use of debit card (was it for internet transactions?), and I said that on the radio that morning they'd said that debit card was not a good idea, as using a credit card usually meant that if there was a dispute, that you'd receive a credit for the amount, but using a debit card would make the entire amount in your account vulnerable ... with no recourse.

Not my idea of a fun ride.

ole joyful

o

ATMs for cash. Why would I go into the bank and stand in
line? I usually go off hours, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here