Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of tree is this?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 16:06

My brother is in the Dominican Republic right now and posted this photo. He says whatever these things are are as big as watermelons.
Have you ever seen anything like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of tree is this?

A Calabash tree?

o

Post this on the name that plant forum they are awesome.

o

And I'm not? You've hurt my feelings, LOL.

o

I think it may be a guava tree.

o

Your Right Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: calabash tree

o

I too, think it's a Calabash tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google link Calabash tree

o

Lol no sorry I didn't mean that, I meant they may not know about the name that plant forum, which is very active, and has helped me out. I didn't have a clue what it is.

o

Lol no sorry I didn't mean that, I meant they may not know about the name that plant forum, which is very active, and has helped me out. I didn't have a clue what it is.

o

You mean those green things are real? I thought some one lost all of their balloons. Or perhaps there's a "jumbo-colossal-supersize" olive.

o

Don't sit under the calabash tree with anyone else, not me!

o

Don't sit under the calabash tree...without a helmet! LOL

o

So what is a calabash? It looks like a melon hanging there. Is it edible? It looks like the rind is a hard shell that the locals use for crafts.

o

Just pulling your chain, Raven.

o

They do look like guavas, adellabedella, but guavas generally do not get to the size of watermelons.

o

Didn't the great Jimmy Durante sign off all his shows with "GoodNight Mrs. Ccalabash" ?

o

Minnie,that's exactly what I thought of, Jimmy Durante!

o

I didn't know those are calabash! We just called them gourds and many of the poor people in Panama used them for a variety of purposes. On the streets, the Panamanians worked them into different kinds of beautiful products such as bowls and vases.

There are so many things from Panama that I grew up with that I don't know the name of. One of my fav fruits was ginups and I have heard that there are ginups in Florida. Anyone ever heard of them? I would love to have some. And the salty chinese plums, too! And ice cream beans! And some real Panamanian empanadas! (I've tried making empanadas. What a disaster!)

o
RE: What kind of tree is this? editable

Here is info about the fruit:

Have you ever wondered if the fruit of the Calabash tree is edible? Here�s the interesting answer to your question.

Going back to my obsessed childhood memories, I remember we were quite lucky that my grandparents had a large open piece of land at the back of their house. I remember there were three big Calabash trees, planted some years earlier by my (now deceased) Grandpa. After school, weekends and during summer, we climbed the trees and sat in the branches, enjoying the cool breezes and gazing out over the rooftops and fields, to see what was beyond. My grandmother spent most of my childhood under them telling me to get down and how dangerous it was. We had used to climbed and climbed before dusk until about 6:00 pm, because at night, the pale yellow flowers blooms and emits a strong odor that attracts bats! As long as I remember, we never ate the fruit; but all we drank horchata from the seeds. The fruit flesh is used as medicine, but apart from that it is NOT EDIBLE!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here