Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I guess I'm going to be making lots of pastry and cookies

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 15:39

We just went and bought a 12 x 24" slab of granite for a pastry board! $100 later..... In about a week I will have a great place to work with pastry. That means now I have to learn to make pie crust! Oh boy.........

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I guess I'm going to be making lots of pastry and cookies

Good for you!

For years I have been wanting a piece of marble but not wanting to spend the money. For Christmas last year my friend gave me a nice silicone pastry mat with measurements in inches,cms and rounds for making pies and tarts - 24x18 inches Washes up really easy and I can use it in the oven up to 600 degrees if I need to for any reason. Rolls up and stores in the cupboard. I am happy now and don't have to spend the money on the marble. As you have seen on FB I have been making my share of tarts, rolls and cookies on it. Maybe getting the pastry mat was not a good thing LOL

Enjoy using your new piece of granite to make tasty treats for your family.

Anne

o

Tami, LOL! You can make noodles and yeast rolls on it, too. My favorite pie crust is made with lard, but that's a no-no these days. It's really light and tasty, though. I sure miss it!

That's one big slab of granite. Enjoy it!

o

Patti wanna share said recipe with lard? Guess what I have in my fridge?! Lard! My aunt's hamburger buns takes lard. They don't come out right if you don't use it.

Anne I've been watching all those goodies! I may need some of those recipes also! The tarts especially looked good.

Tami

o

I keep lard in my pantry, love it for pie crusts. I just use a plastic Tupperware or similar mat to roll my dough out on. I have more than one. No granite or marble here.

Sue

o

I always use lard for making pastry. Tenderflake lard, I won't use the other stuff

o

lard here too :)

o

Yikes, I had no idea so many people use lard in their pastries. I'll have to be more careful with other people's homemade sweets!

o

I will add a link to pie crust. I change the recipe up a bit. Instead of all purpose I use 6 cups pastry and cake flour but all purpose is fine, I just used what I had more of. I use 1 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 3 tbsp vinegar. I think I only added 1 tsp salt not 2. Pastry is really good to work with and rolls out very easy even right away after making.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie Crust

o

Chi83, don't worry! The only reason I have lard is because of my aunt's recipe!

Thanks Fizz.

Marilyn Sue, I have that mat and hated using it. Even floured, everything stuck to it.

o

Growing up, as a kid, I liked the crusts and would remove the filling :o) Same with southern homemade cobbler with real pie crust.

o

My crust recipe is similar to Anne's, except that I use lemon juice instead of vinegar, and is so easy to roll. The recipe dates back to when DD#5 tried to make pies, and always gave up and I had to finish up, which does not make a light crust. One day I came home to find she had pies made and the crust was great. So we've been using it ever since.

o

Tami, I just came back on your post. Here's mother's recipe. Mind you, it makes a lot of pie crust. Probably enough for 2 double-crust pies and 1 one-crust pie.

1 egg
5-1/2 c. flour
2-1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. lard

Mix 1/2 the lard with flour and salt until crumbly. Add the other 1/2 lard and mix. Mix slightly beaten egg in 1 c. measuring and fill with ice water. Add ice water/egg mixture. Mix well and chill. (You may need to add a little more flour.)

o

I forgot to add, I mix that stuff up with my hands to get it mixed well.

o

Thanks Patti. I may try that in the food processor. I don't know if my hands will mix it. And I don't care if it makes a lot of dough! I can freeze it!

Tami

o

I've had a marble pastry board for years. As the years go by, it gets heavier and heavier to lift up onto the table tho. :) I wish it could be left out permanently but I don't have the counter space. Have fun making all those pastries (my biggest weakness besides potato chips).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here