Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cooking brisket

Posted by grams33 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 15:18

Again I need help-I have a 4# beef brisket and I would like to cook it up and have Reuben sandwiches over Thanksgiving. Please I need any help you experts can give --new to me. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cooking brisket

I have always done the "boiled dinner". For the last few years I've been roasting the brisket. Will never go back to boiled again.

Oven Roasted Corned Beef

(Point cut is fattier)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Put 1" water (I use beer) in the bottom of your broiler pan.
Place corned beef, fat side up, on the rack above the liquid.
If a spicier flavor is desired, sprinkle the seasoning packet (or some pickling spice) over the corned beef.
Cover tightly with foil.
Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Remove from the oven. Loosen foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

o

this is the easiest method and it is fabulous, I make it often and there is never any left.

Ravens easy brisket:
1large beef brisket (no need to trim fat it will come off easily once cooked)
1 Bottle Stubb's beef marinade (shake well)
3-4 Tbs frenches mustard
1 chopped onion - optional
1/2 cup wine (white or blush)
1/2 cup water
Place brisket fat side down in a very large covered oven roasting pan after you
Coat both sides of brisket with mustard. Pour in 1/2 cup wine and 1/2 cup water. Pour in 1/2or entire bottle of Stubbs over the brisket (it will be more spicy if you use it all) Put chopped onion in and spread it around. No need for added seasoning!! Place covered roaster in oven at 350 for 5to6 hrs (check for fork tender) Check it occasionally while cooking to make sure there is liquid- if needed add a little water. Ladle the juices over the meat a couple times during cooking.
When done remove brisket to platter to cool.
GRAVY: Pour juice liquid into a saucepan; pour off most of the melted fat. In a separate bowl or cup mix 1 1/2 Tbs of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water mix very well. Put gravy saucepan on stove and bring to a lite boil, slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture, continue stirring and heat for about 2 mins.
Serve the gravy over hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes.
Slice brisket across grain.
*If you want a bbq flavor cook in oven as above for 3 hrs then remove brisket and put on grill cook for final 3 hrs.

Beef Marinade
If you do not want a real spicy brisket just use about half of the bottle.

o

I'm not a big fan of brisket but like the BBQ Pit Boys' version without the mustard. Or do the rub and low/slow it in the Nesco.

o

Is your brisket already 'corned ', gram? I assume so, at that weight. I like to add more pickling spice than what comes with the brisket. McCormicks makes one that works well. I also use beer to braise mine.

If you've purchased a beef brisket and want to 'corn' it, you'll need more time for for the brining and spicing process.

I love a good Reuben sandwich.

o

What do you mean by corn it? It is corned beef brisket. Doesn't anyone simmer it on top of the stove?Someone told me that is the way to do it-I Don't have a clue

o

Oh I thought you meant a regular raw brisket, that is what my method is for not for a corned beef. I cook my corned beef in the slow cooker with some onion, potatoes and carrots.

o

I used to cook corned beef and cabbage in the slow cooker, but you can do it in your dutch oven in the oven.

My recipe came from Good House Keeping oh so long ago.

I'd put peppercorns, other spices in a teaball. Using bay leaves.

Cover the brisket with water, then when it was almost done, cook carrots, potatoes, and then add cabbage that had been cut into wedges and used toothpicks to keep the cabbage together.

When done I'd serve with a special homemade mustard sauce.

o

I'm surprised that the package didn't come with directions on the label. Yes, you need to braise (cook in liquid) it. I do mine on top of the stove in a large covered saute pan. That's where the extra pickling spices come in that I mentioned. Cover the meat with water or beer, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for three or so hours. The meat will be extremely tender.....cut it across the grain.

Since you are planning on using your brisket for sandwiches, you may not be interested in adding the vegetables. By the way, your corned beef will shrink quite a bit. I almost always wish that I had fixed two.

Does that make more sense, now?

o

I learned that not covering it with liquid keeps it from shrinking so much and it is less rubbery.
I put a layer of sliced onions in the bottom of the pot, slow cooker or on the stove, then I put my meat in, sprinkle in the spice package, put the potatoes and carrots around the meat, then add just enough liquid to have about an inch of the meat submerged. I use water, or water and beer, or water and wine just depends on what I have.
A lot of liquid will come out of the meat and veggies.
Having the meat above all the liquids makes it less boiled tasting.
We love corned beef and cook it often, there's never left overs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here