Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV - Video Game Time

Posted by DawnSmith (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 15:05

Hi.
I have 2 children (10 & 12yrs) - my boyfriend has 1 (6yrs).
Periodically, my boyfriend brings his son to my house.

My kids have a busy schedule with homework, sports, & activities, we don't have much down time! My boyfriends son, he plays video games/watches TV basically every minute he is not in school.

Lately, the time they have been at my house has increased. If my kids have a window in their day to winddown & watch some TV, I feel they should be able to do so. I give a 5 minute warning that the video game needs to end then turn the TV over to my kids.

Here comes the issue: if my kids happen to leave the room for any length of time (a shower, a phone call from their dad or friend, to do an expected chore upon my request), then what do you know, the video game is back on! Let me also mention, these games belong to my kids, I pay the electric bill, I keep the battery supply stocked (well, I used to, I don't anymore).

Help!! I feel like I have been put in the position of being the bad person and really I am just trying to keep peace in my own home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV - Video Game Time

Get your BF involved. He needs to parent his child. Talk to him about setting time limits on gaming while he is at your house.If things are serious between the two of you, it needs to be worked out before the relationship goes further. A 6y/o needs to be doing more than playing video games. At 6y/o my kids had some homework. Is your BF making sure that he doesn't have homework???

But I would definitely talk to BF his DS needs rules when at your house.. JMO

o
RE: TV - Video Game Time

Your house, your rules! Tell the BF to enforce them and they can overdose on video games at his house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here