SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

Let's get to know each other II

luckygardnr
13 years ago

Since the other thread has reached its limit, I'll start another one.

My name is Laurel (57)and I live in Stratford, Ontario. I've been married to Dave for 37 years and have a beautiful DD who is 36. She has given me 2 wonderful Grandsons (5 & 9)that I absolutely adore. We moved to Stratford about 6 months ago, so we could be close to Kristen and the boys. They've lived here since she and her DH got married.

We have one furbaby, Sadie, a Shih Tzu. She's almost 12 and is blind, but is in relatively good health. She has us totally wrapped around her little paws.

I love to cook, garden (hence the name luckygardnr) and read. I also love my new little bungalow townhouse. It's totally open concept, with everything I need on the main floor, and a totally finished basement with fireplace, extra bedroom and workshop for Dave.

Comments (51)

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

My name is Lillie.I am almost 69.Mother of 4 kids,2 girls and 2 boys.I have 9 grand children,ranging in ages from 2 1/2 to 29.I have been happily married to the love of my life for almost 51 years.
    I lived in TX all of my life until almost 2 years ago when we came to NM to help my youngest son and DDIL with twin grand babies.We didn't plan to stay but due to unforeseen circumstances we are still here.DS had cancer surgery,
    chemo then another surgery.He is doing great now.We have been living with them but are trying to sell our property in TX so we can buy a home and move here permanently.
    My hobbies (use to be) painting and lots of other crafts but I don't have much time for that now with 2 little ones in the house! The last craft that I really enjoyed was making bird houses,Christmas ornaments and other decorative items out of gourds.I really miss that and someday soon plan to get back into it.
    We have one little 13 year old Chihuahua named Chiquita.She was given to me by my two girls for my birthday but has turned out to be DH's "baby".She almost died a couple of years ago when she was attacked by my DGD's Chihuahua,but she made it.Sometimes she acts like a puppy and other times like an old lady.She will probably outlive us all!LOL

• melzer
    13 years ago

Hello there ladies..
    My name is Melissa(35). I've been a long time lurker and a sometimes poster here on the garden forums.
    Laurel I am also in Stratford Ontario. Goes to show it really is a small world. Im a mother to a 15 year old son and a step mother to a 13 year old daughter.
    I have two fur babies. A 7 year old boxer and a really old shih tzu.
    I have a full time job in manufacturing and a part timejob in retail. So you can imagine that takes most of my time. When not working i love spending time with family and friends.

• Related Discussions

While the board is slow... lets get to know each other

Q

Comments (45)
    Hey everyone ~ I'm a newbie. I enjoyed reading your questions and answers so far; hope you don't mind me just jumping in. I've been a lurker for a while, but I finally took the plunge and subscribed last night. (My coat closet dilemma pushed me over the ledge!;) In answer to the above question: I have a talent; I can sing. I've been compared to Irene Cara, Natalie Imbruglia, Paula Cole and Sara McLaughlin at times. (I've also had times that I would've been an American Idol Reject for sure! lol) Singing is a passion for me for sure; I'm luckly to have an outlet for that passion through church. In one of the "do what you love" type things I've come across they ask "what is the one thing you would do even without compensation?" I'd have to say singing/performing would be my answer. I'd sing for anyone, anywhere just for the sheer pleasure of it. LOL I don't brag as a rule; I feel funny saying "I'm a good singer" right out loud. (But we do have to answer the question right?! LOL) Now my question: What's the hardest thing you've ever accomplished by yourself? p.s. I'd love to hear your "passion" as well! Jenn
    ...See More

Let's Get to Know Each Other

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Lulie! Glad to get to know you. First, so sorry about your tragedy. I give you credit, first for being so honest about it and also for going on living your life to the fullest (like I'm sure Christin would have wanted you to). Well, I live in Lapeer Michigan, recently moving here to a house with almost 3 acres. I have been married to a great guy for almost 7 years now. I knew the minute i met him he was the one! We met in our mid 30s so I think the timing was perfect for us both. Unfortunatey we never had children, but we have 4 dogs and tons of fish! My dogs are like my "kids". I wish I could have 100. I do love kids, but I guess it wasn't in the cards for us. I started painting 2-3 years ago - just playing around with free-hand stuff, then got into faux finishing, which i still love. I did some tole but now do mostly the One Stroke technique. I love to paint, any style - I find it relaxing, like you said, an hour seems like 5 minutes. I also have a part time job as a medical transcriptionist. I'm lucky enough to be able do to the job from my home. Many days though I dream of hurrying up and finishing my work and getting down to the basement and painting the rest of the day! It usually doesn't work that way tho :( . I'm usually too tired to do both! I do my best work fresh and early in the morning (either typing or painting!) Well, I better let someone else talk now. Hope more people help us get this board going!!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

Previous let's get to know each other threads

Q

Comments (8)
    I copied and pasted them to my computer. It is a HUGE file, but I wanted it. At one point I started to alphabetize it, but never finished. Would be easy to look someone up, if I had, or would. LOL Life just got to busy at the time. I have not done anything with this years thread, nor did I post to it. I intended too... busy busy these days Moni
    ...See More

Let's see each other's fur babies....

Q

Comments (85)
    Max is a beauty. I know he will be sadly missed. All the pets here are obviously loved! I am pet-less at the moment, but here is my "step granddaughter". Her name is Kylie and she is now my son's dog. She was rescued by my son's girlfriend, who sadly died tragically this year. Kylie was with her at her death, lying loyally at her side, waiting for Search & Rescue to arrive. Long, sad story and I don't want to repeat it here. Now Kylie belongs to my son, who she had always regarded as her "co-owner." She's a good girl.
    ...See More
  • luckygardnr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Joann_fla, I forgot the pic. This is me (Laurel) in my swing chair rocking my second grandson to sleep.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Nice to see you Laurel

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Yes, its so nice to see our friends

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Anyone else?

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Any newbies here?

• Debby
    13 years ago

I'm Debby, from Calgary. Married for 20 years to my other half. Mom of four adult children who refuse to give me grandkids. They claim kids cost money. What do they know? LOL While *we* don't have pets, we have a house full of animals: 3 cats, 1 dagu, 1 iguana and some fish. All belong to my kids. My daughter moved 2 provinces over when her other half was transfered. They're saving to move back to Caglary, which can't be soon enough. Two of my boys moved back home to save money. I work full time throughout the week, my husband has been off work since March due to a bad back injury. Hopefully physio and the doctors can figure out how to make him better soon. Nothing seems to be working.

• vicki_lv_nv
    13 years ago

I'm Vicki, from Las Vegas, Nevada. Originally from South Dakota and Iowa, I have lived here for going on 31 years. I have been married for 16 years and have two boys. The oldest lives with us and the youngest with his dad. My oldest will probably never have kids. My youngest will probably have several to make up for the oldest. LOL We have a super smart Pit Ball, Sara. Don't know what we would do without her for entertainment at times.

My husband and I are in party rentals and getting ready to open a new location. I love photography, even though I am not exceptional at it. We enjoy traveling, with Montana one of our favorite places to go.

I have been coming to the KT for about 14 years...with a brief "vacation" at one point. I was just too busy with work.

I truly enjoy the KT.

• momrox4
    13 years ago

Hi all; I'm Gayle from San Diego, CA, originally from the Twin Cities in MN. Hubby is retired. I'm mom to four 20-somethings, all are single, oldest is "launched" and living on her own; other three are finishing up college (soon I hope)and living with us. Also proud mom to six fur babies (four Maltese-mixes named Teddy, Yogi, Pamela and Pip) and two cats, Peter and Sasha. Also a feather baby, Howard the cockatiel who is 18 years old! Love reading, gardening, feeding the birds and watching them, movies, shopping, knitting, crocheting and machine embroidery and, obviously, love animals. I think my favorite thing, though, is dining out! Oh and I'm 61 years old (can't believe I'm admitting to it); sometimes I feel like I'm 25 and sometimes like I'm 125! I love this forum and have learned so much and feel like I know so many of you!

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melzer/Melissa, we should get together for lunch or something! I had no idea there was another KTer in Stratford. Contact me through My Page, so we can plan something.

Laurel

• bonnie_il
    13 years ago

Hi all.
    I've been here for years but haven't been on much in the past few years.
    We had lived in IL, now we are in NC.
    John and I have 6 children, 13 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren.
    We also have one cat Max who thinks he's a dog. He even growls at the neighbors. 3 dogs, Sioux who is pushing 18 years, Lily who is 5 and Joey who is 2.
    John is still working and I'm babysitting our 13th grandchild.
    Other than our youngest son who lives here in NC, our granddaughter whose hubby is in the Army and stationed at Fort Bragg, they have 3 girls, the rest of our family are all in Illinois.

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

Sounds like a nice idea... I am back posting now and then. I had left for a few years, and posted a some other boards, but only a few on a regular basis.

My name is Carolyn, I'm 67 years old and I live in Tennessee with my beloved husband, 3 kitties and 2 dogs. All of which were somebodies "disposable animals"...

We are both retired and have lived here in Tennesse for 24 years and we love it here. We have a tiny little chunk of paradise waaaaaay out in the boonies.. and that's the way we like it .. aha aha..

I love to cook, and I love to play in the dirt.. in my gardens...and because I love to cook, I eat, and so I have to work out and walk, walk, walk to stay a reasonably healthy weight... When I was a kid of about 10 or 12, my grandma began to teach me about growing food and flowers, and also how to can those veggies as well... By the time I was about 14, I was digging over my own garden, and canning much of the bounty.... Both my parents had to work to make ends meet... so I just loved doing what I could to help out.

When I got out of high school, I went a semester to a culinary school in Boston.. loved every minute of it... but then daddy took sick and had a serious heart condition. Back then there was no such thing as heart surgery.. you just adjusted... and so we all packed up and moved to the lovely state of Florida.. That is in the very early 1960's..

I have a beautiful daughter (2 grands), a fabulous step son, and 2 step grands and 3 great step grands... We seldom see them as they live quite a long way from us and my Bob isn't really able to travel much these days...

We Ultra Conservative Christians of the Southern Baptist persuasion.. but that doesn't mean That doesn't mean I think I am anything special.. because I'm sure not.. I am as ordinary as oak leaves in the fall.. I like to correspond with folks and add comments and perhaps even offer my opinion from time to time.. (I know some boards don't like any opinions except those given by their chosen few, but I will usually overlook that and still say what's on my mind ) Oh and some days, if my spelling is off or so.. I do hope you won't send the spelling police in to arrest me.. My hands sometimes go totally stiff on me.. I have carpel tunnel as well as arthritis in my hands. If my fingers go numb, ya just nevah know what is going to be put down here.. LOL

Here's a picture of me and my Lucy pooch taken last year... I don't photograph well, and don't like to show off my wattles on my ol turkey neck... so you won't see a lot of photos of me.. lol

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Great to meet you all, Thanks so much for the pics.
    If you need to know anything come take a look at our website, all KT info is listed there & lots of recipes too.
    just click

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

I've seen some new names here. Come introduce your self. lets keep this going.

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

I know we have some new names, introduce yourself and share a pic too.

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

It's been awhile, do we have any new people that want to share something about themselves? We love photos too.

Come on don't be shy.

• lindie_mi
    13 years ago

I am a 60 year-old wife of one, mother of two, grandma to one. Hobbies are housecleaning (yes, I like to do that), reading, watching old movies, cooking/baking, and making webpages. Well, that sounds boring, doesn't it? Hubby and I have been married for over 40 years and are quite the homebodies.

Here is the most shocking thing - winter is my favorite season of the year. That is easily said when one is able to stay inside and watch the snow fall outside the window, but it never makes me popular when others know that I intensely dislike hot weather...so while others wait for spring at the moment, I'm waiting for next fall!

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

WELCOME lindie_mi, glad you decided to join in.

• patti43
    13 years ago

Hi Lindie, welcome to the KT. I'm Patti43 and live in central Florida. Where do you live? (Betcha' you don't live here since you like cold weather!) LOL!

• nelles_gw
    13 years ago

I'm Ellen, and like Patti43, I live in Central FL. Moved here from Boston when DH & I retired almost 6 years ago.

I'll be 61 in July, and am mother to 2 fur-babies, Bonnie & Clyde, our Rag-doll cats.

I enjoy card making, bridge, and the occasional game of golf with DH.

While I rarely post, I visit this and other forums at least once every day.

Ellen

• thistledew5750
    13 years ago

Hi my name is Christy aka thistledew. I was introduced to kt a long while back, but never posted because I worked. Now I am retired and loving every minute of it. I learn soo much from the kt. The only question that I have NOT had answered is WHY is one leg is shorter on a table than I the rest. Humph! LOL I live on the South Carolina/Georgia border. I love my grandchildren, dogs and husband. O.K. gotta go take care of this whiny dog.

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

**************** June 2, 2011*******************

I decided to bring up this old thread again so our
    "New Members" can add their names to this on going list. Tell us a little about yourselves if you will.

• juellie1962
    12 years ago

I'm Julie, from Wisconsin (near Milwaukee). I've been married 30 years this August! :) Have a 28 yr old dd and a 23 yr old ds. One beautiful 13 month old granddaughter....the love of my life!

• hoovergal
    12 years ago

I'm Debbie from Hoover, Alabama and I'm a long-time lurker. I turned 50 this year and I've been married for 25 years. We have 2 sons still at home. We have a Jack Russell Terrier and a rescue kittie that my husband calls my parade since they follow me throughout the house. I work for a local government and I hope to stay there until I retire. I love to garden and found GardenWeb forums years ago. I also enjoy cooking, reading and shopping for antiques. Love, love the World's Longest Yard Sale and go every year.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Im Kim,56 years old and boy Im feelin old.Im married to a busy builder,hes 60.We have 3 grown kids 2 boys 1 girl.We have 4 grandkids 2 boys 2 girls.We have a 1700 farmhouse,40 acres ,we have all the history on it,deeds,land drawings from early on.I dont work,I go for dialysis 3 times a week,Im getting close to a transplant.Could be quicker if I had a donor..
    Its really taking a toll on my body,my feet are numb Side effect of dialysis,cant walk much,extreme tired,none like I ever experienced,I use to do Everything take care farm ,mow 5 hr a time,gardening,decorating my old house,crochet,sew,crafts,make wreaths.Now.. nothing too tired .Its enough to get dinner on table.I feel like life is passing me by,It disrupted my whole family ANYWAYS...I have 2 precious jack russells.I have to get rid of my bird I had 20 years cant be around birds after transplant.So hopefully I can get my life back soon..Thats my life right now.Finally got a beautiful day a farmer spread sh** today ...great

• hoovergal
    12 years ago

Hi Kim - I hope and pray your condition improves and you can start feeling better soon. I'm jealous of your farmhouse and 40 acres. We moved to the city 13 years ago so our children would have access to a better school system. I really miss having a garden and our privacy. I do like the conveniences of city living, but I'm a country girl in my heart.

• wifetojoeiii
    12 years ago

I'm Karen (hostapasta) age 49, married to DH for 12 yrs, second marriage for both of us. We both work full time and together we have 4 kids - his DS age 36 & DD age 35, and my 2 DDs ages 27 & 21. We never had a joint household so that has caused some amount of consternation but we are at a good point now. Three step GKs - GD age 9 (10 this month) and twin GS age 6. Two wonderful pets - both lab mixes - Molly age 8 & Tessa (with a ton of energy) age 1. I love to garden - both flowers & veggies, my DH loves to cook, and I enjoy cross stitching & reading.

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

Keep em coming were on a roll.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

I am Sheila and have been coming here since the early '90s. I am 69, retired and live with my DH in southern California. We grew up in Illinois and lived in Maryland when we were first married 46 years ago, moved to California, then to Illinois, and then back to California. We have 3 kids in their 30s; two live within an hour of us and the third is a lawyer in NYC. Our DD has two cute little boys, 4 and 20 months, and I keep myself entertained by driving up there every week to help out with laundry and the boys. Our older son is engaged this year and they are planning a wedding a year from this fall. I love to knit and crochet, especially baby items for all the babies around here.

• bluejeans4ever
    12 years ago

Hi my name is Blue Jeans and I am an axe murderer.

lol, nah just jokin'.

Married for 26 years, 17 year old daughter who is the light of my life and the grey in my hair. :-)

Early 50 something. But my DD keeps me young and on my toes.

DH retired a year ago on the same day I got laid off from my job with a government funded non-profit. They say timing is everything, but holy mackeral. I just wished we could have eased gently into this togetherness thing. I am very independent and somewhat of a loner so I value my quiet time. Dh is social and likes to talk all day.

Luckygardner and Melzer, do you know the Beebs? I heard that Selena Gomez went to Stratford to meet his parents and she and Justin were out shopping. Love the Beebs!

Oh ya, I'm also Canadian (5th generation!)living in South Central Ontario (between Barrie and Toronto). Only a few hours from Stratford! One of my favourite places to visit and to take in some truly awesome theatre and culture!

Looking for work (half heartedly), but currently working on a business plan to start my own business. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the intestional fortitude. So, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Jobs are still pretty scarce these days anyway.

Oh and I love blue jeans and would have gotten married in them but it didn't go over very well with my Mother. I (jokingly) tell DH that I'll wear blue jeans at my next wedding. lol

I also have a somewhat stilted and dark sense of humour that sometimes only humours me. My friends just say that I'm warped. :-)

Peace out!

• nancylee_ky
    12 years ago

Hi! I'm a long-time lurker who very rarely posts but I do visit this forum almost every day. As my screen name indicates, I am Nancy and am currently living in western Kentucky, originally from Massachusetts. I am 65 and still work full time - not thinking of retirement yet. I have 2 grown children - one lives in southern Ohio and the other in Phoenix. Also, two precious cats who keep me company. Sometimes I think I live vicariously through everyone's posts - really enjoy them.

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

This is great! Does anyone want to post a recent picture of themselves? I'll glady add it to "Our Photos". It's so nice to see people that we talk to all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Photos

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

ttt

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

Any new faces out there, we would love to get to know you.
    Photos are great too!

• willsgram
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm Christy, long time lurker, who visits here almost daily, but rarely posts.(guess I'm shy)

My husband and I live in western PA, happily married (most days) almost 46 years. We have two grandchildren, Will, age 7 and Ivy, age 4. They live near Philly with my oldest daughter and sil. Younger daughter lives in southern California with her long-time fiance'...marriage is a distant, but distinct possibility, or so they say.

I retired over a year ago, enjoy reading, gardening, travel and spending way too much time on the computer! Also love being able to spend time with our grandchildren...being with them as they grow up is truly a most special part of our life, so we manage to get together once a month or so!

Husband and I joined a gym when I retired and we try to get there two or three times a week. He has lost over 20 lbs, while I have remained exactly the same weight...go figure!

I love the Garden Web and especially this forum.

• JoAnn_Fla
    12 years ago

Hi Christy, So glad you decided to say hello. No need to be shy just jump in an join the fun.

• lovemymimi
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

This site was recommended to me by another cyber friend that has been posting here for over 10 years and loves it.

My husband and I are both retired and live in Arizona. We have a son but no grandchildren and he's not planning on becoming a daddy...sign.

We have an 8 year old shih tzu who allows us to live with her and lights up our life everyday!

I'm not too computer savvy so I don't know how to do pictures...maybe some day I'll learn...don't hold your breathe though...lol!

I haven't been here very long...not even a week yet and I'm already feelin' very much at home. A big "thank you" to everyone that is making us newbie's feel so welcomed.

• Marcia Thornley
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm Marcia (pronounced Marsha) I live in Southern Ontario close to Niagara Falls in St. Catharines. I have lived here all my life. DH and I have been married for 33 years. I've known him since I was 16. I'm now 56. We have a furkid, Jaggs, an eleven year old Cockapoo.
    I recently went back to work after a one year break. I work part time for an Ontario Wine Retailer. I'm really enjoying it. Lots of fun.'I love gardening and restoring old furniture and antique pieces. I've been here since about 2000 and I've had the pleasure to meet several KT'ers in the area.

• jeaninwa
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm My name's Jean but I don't live in WA any longer.

I moved to Colorado Springs in May to be with my S/O, who I met online.
    I'm 54 years old and a preschool teacher. THAT keeps me young! My S/O is six years younger than me, but he says I'm younger than him. LoL
    We make short films that are seen on Youtube. Today we are going to scout a location at a cave. We have a big goofy dog and a naggy cat.
    I have two grown son's and three grandchildren that live in California, so I don't get to see them.

I've been on Garden Web for ages, mostly on the Garden Junk forum at first, but now that I don't have a garden, I lurk here alot, and throw my two cents in once in a while.

I love to take photographs and enjoy seeing the photos people post here. Some are absolutely amazing. Just lovely. Thank you

• tegwyn
    12 years ago

I visit but rarely post.(maybe once last year) Live in Southwestern Ontario. Married for 18 years with 2 children age 8 and 6 plus 2 Maine Coon cats. I am a horticulturist and husband is a paramedic. Our kids are absolutely amazing. My oldest daughter has some serious health problems along with being vision and hearing impaired. She goes to a regular public school and despite her vision/hearing and frequent hospital visits she keeps up with her peers. Youngest daughter is the most easy going child and is best friends with her older sister. Most think they are twins.
    Love Gardenweb Canadian Seed exchange and visit frequently during winter months.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

I'm Jo, from Panama City, Florida aka Paradise, with my Stepson, and my two furbabies - a Chi and a Border Collie. I am 61 and getting older-looking every day. I am retired and tend to my many tropical plants, which are my hobby. I have my two older Grandsons every day after school, so I keep very busy.

Here is a picture, taken October 1, 2011, with my 4th and newest Grandson, Sean Alexander, who, with his parents, live in Virginia:

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/724mcz.jpg[/IMG]

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Well, Tinypic let me down - the image doesn't show, but you have my information.

• vee78910
    12 years ago

I'm Vee (vee1) and I live in Pensacola, Fl in the panhandle. Hubby is retired Navy and we love this area although we never were stationed here. We've been married 44 years and have one son and one grandson. My hobbies are fiber art, polymer clay art and growing orchids. We're both retired and I love it although hubby is still somewhat at a loss even after 6 or 7 years of retirement. I read this forum and other Gardenweb forums every day and feel like I know several of you. Really enjoy it!!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

OMG, folks - Iam SO SORRY - I had no idea my picture would turn out so large - I think I will contact GW admin. and see if someone can make this MUCH smaller.

• ellie45
    12 years ago

Kayjones (Jo) I love that large picture. It is just precious. You should be so proud of it. The 2 of you are so lovely together.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

I think it's a great picture!

• Nita__AZ
    12 years ago

Kay, I have resized it for you. I love this picture of you and your grandson.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Thank you for fixing the picture and for the kind comments - I have contacted admin. to remove the monster-sized picture. Yes, Sean is adorable - he's almost 2 months old and 'talking' up a storm.

• kim_okla
    12 years ago

Hi. Kim from Oklahoma but you already knew that. I've been here forever and have met some great people from here. I work for OU, 25 years next week and will also be 55 next week. I have two rescue dogs, Bo and Roxy.

Going to Missouri and Arkansas next week and hope the leave don't fall off before I get to see them.
    Ok that's a really small picture. This is at lake Tenkiller.