Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Rice Add Ons?

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 15:00

I have a bowl of just plain brown rice, already cooked, that I would like to reheat for supper. What can I add to it to kick it up a notch. FWIW, cooking brown rice is new to me....just trying hard to give up things that are white.

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Rice Add Ons?

I use brown rice in this recipe that Glenda posted. Thanks, Glenda, I love it. I use whatever meat or combination of meats that I have available when I take a hankering for it.

Smoked Sausage Jambalaya
So very good, so Louisiana style good. You are not going to believe how easy this dish is to prepare.
Serves: 6
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices (or browned ground beef or cooked chicken)
3 cups water
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 hot peppers
3 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
1 1/2 cup long-grain rice
1 pound medium, fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined

Steps
In a Dutch oven add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce. Add dry ingredients, smoked sausage and rice. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink. You do not want to overcook the shrimp.
A tip from Paula: Never cook the shrimp before you add it to the jambalaya. You want all of the wonderful shrimp flavors to cook into your jambalaya and cooking it before would make the shrimp overcooked (rubbery). Shrimp cooks so quickly, it is best to add it at the last few minutes.

o

Now that sounds wonderful! But to be honest I was looking for something simpler for tonight to have with rotisserie chicken.

o

Finely diced white onion, green and/or red pepper and if you're in a festive mood...and have dried craisens in your larder...soften and dice up some of those as well.

I always rinse the brown rice kernels in warm water before I put them to boil/steam. It removes some of the excess starch and once the rice is fully steamed, it's less "pasty" in texture. I, also, cook my brown rice in chicken broth/bouillon liberally sprinkled with onion powder and add some dried or fresh celery leaves. It gives it a yummy flavor.

HTH

Anne

o

I love brown rice......Just do a stir fry with onion, garlic, pepper and mixed veggies....To me there is nothing better...I keep a bag of frozen mixed veggies just for this kind of left over. I always cook more brown rice than I know I will use.

o

I mix Paul Newman's pineapple salsa with brown rice.

o

Here's a recipe you can adjust for whatever you choose to add or delete:

Brown rice and chicken casserole
2 cups cooked brown rice (long grain brown rice is best)
16 oz. mushrooms, washed, thickly sliced, slices cut in half
2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
1 onion, diced into small pieces
2 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. ground poultry seasoning or make your own
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 - 2 cups diced leftover turkey or chicken, cut in 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup turkey stock or chicken stock
1/2 cup sour cream (I used low-fat sour cream, but don't use fat-free)
1/2 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1 cup + 1 cup grated low-fat cheese (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend, use any type of low-fat cheese that you like the flavor of.)

Instructions:

Cook brown rice following package directions or using a rice cooker and let cool. Preheat oven to 375F/190C.

Wash mushrooms and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Cut mushrooms into thick slices, then cut slices in half. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in heavy non-stick pan and saute mushrooms until they're starting to brown and all liquid has evaporated. Remove onions to a dish.

In same frying pan, add 1 tsp. more olive oil and heat, then add onions and saute 3-4 minutes until onions are softened. Add thyme, ground poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, and saute about 2 minutes more.

While onions cook, dice leftover turkey or chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Add mushrooms and diced turkey into pan with the onion-herb mixture, and stir to combine. Add rice and gently stir until all the meat and vegetables are evenly distributed in the rice.

In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and chicken stock, then stir in coarsely grated parmesan cheese and 1 cup grated low-fat cheese. Gently stir the sour cream mixture into the rice mixture.

Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I'd use a relatively flat dish without a lid for this casserole.) Spoon rice mixture into the casserole dish and press down to evenly distribute. Bake for 25 minutes, or until casserole is slightly bubbling and barely starting to brown. Sprinkle with second cup of grated low-fat cheese and bake about 15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.

o

Seems like the cooking forum had a thread with brown rice. It gave a technique and I think FOAS had some add-ins. Looked good to me. Made me want to give up bleached food.

o

You could add corn and black beans with some salsa or taco sauce for spice~~any type of beans would be good with the rice.

o

I make the sausage and rice casserole with brown rice. I love it with mushrooms and sauteed sweet onion, also good with a little grilled or fried corn.
I keep packages of the precooked rice pouches to have as a quick easy side or to add to my recipe.

o

Thanks, Anne. Sounds just what I was looking for. Sometimes my brain turns to jelly when I'm trying to think of something.

o

Well, looks like I'm going to have to stock up on brown rice!
Rob, I'll check out the CF forum.

Thanks you all.

o

I do something like Anne as well and will also add peas and/or
slivered almonds. Stir fry everything up together and then add the rice with some liquid (water, or soy sauce or broth) to warm it up.

o

I will take cooked rice and add onions (pan fry in butter first), scrambled egg, grated cheese and maybe sliced olives and mix together. Season with what ever i feel like, Sometimes I will add some cooked broccoli or peas or??
Depends what I have left over. For liquid I will use chicken stock/broth.

o
RE: Brown Rice Add Ons????

Oh yes, forgot I do use salsa also.

o

I like lemon juice and garlic salt on my rice.

o

I love brown rice. I always cook it with chicken or beef broth, onions, and other veggies added in the very beginnng.

o

So how'd you make it? Was it good?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here