Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite way to live in the moment?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 14:52

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.
-Lao Tzu

How do I live in the moment? I like to say to myself, I love this time of day! I don't even have to really mean it when I say it, but once I do, it makes me smile. Otherwise, I just wish the whole day away, is it break time yet? Lunch time yet? Is it time to go? Is it time for dinner? or my snuggly bed? Why when I can love the sun peaking up and I get to start new with many friends saying good morning! Or taking time out to stop and feel the sun on my face. Or relax at the end of a hard day of work and catch up on all my son has been doing...

I love this time of day and all it brings with it!

I ask because I've been in a real "funk" the last couple of weeks. I'm ready to come out of the haze.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite way to live in the moment?

Congratulations. I will save this for those 'funky" days. Thanks

o

I give thanks to God when I awaken and before I go to sleep, ask for peace and blessings for my family, then try to do the right thing each moment I'm awake. Oh, yes, I make lots of mistakes, but He is always there to assist with keeping my life peaceful.

o

Great thread just what I needed

o

I'm another that prays for inner peace all the time. Thanks so much for the quotation--it really hit home. I'm printing it out.

o

Unfortunately, it's just not doing it for me right now. It's why I asked y'all. Got any fresh ideas? Or I may just have to slog through until I get happy.

o

Rob, sorry you are going through a difficult time. When I am depressed, I try very hard to make myself get up and do something. Sometimes it isn't much. But if I can get myself to do something for fifteen minutes, then I can usually lift myself up. I like to do something mindless, like cleaning something.

o

It's ok--it's part of life. I'm ready to shake it off! It's just ordinary blues, it'll pass.

:)

o

Got any fresh ideas?
For something instant, I suggest chocolate or any number of your favorite 'comfort' foods.

Is there a certain someone who can almost always make you smile and laugh? I have a friend who can always perk me up. Often when I'm in a funk, I call her (long distance) or if time allows for us both, I go and visit her.

I see from your member page that you have enjoyed gardening. Might you be in a zone that you could take advantage of the Brent and Becky 1/2 off price sale on their bulbs?

50% off all Garden Bulbs

The sale price will be shown once you click on Order Now

Maybe do some on line shopping for something from Lee Valley, a gift to yourself, or suggestion to or for someone else. They have cool stuff.

Anything that you can look forward to? Plan a vacation in the future?

Do you frequent any of The Garden Forums? Maybe try your hand at Winter Sowing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodils on sale 1/2 price

o

I'm sorry to hear your under the weather. Have you ever heard that to help yourself out of the dumps, help someone else get out of theirs?

Is there an older person you can do something for/spend time with - bet they are worse than you. If you can do this, you will BOTH feel better!!!

Come back and talk to us - if we can help, we will. Remember, this, too, shall pass.

o

I try to practice gratefulness. When I started, I used to keep a list of things for which I was grateful and review/add to it every night, but I am more conscious of it now, and don't have to do that. At any given moment, I can chose to be grateful for what I have. It roots me in the present.

I read a wonderful book years ago called, "Gratefulness, the Heart of Prayer," by Brother David Steindl-Rast. One thing he said that's always stuck with me is that surprise is a pathway into gratefulness, and that we can choose to allow ourselves to be surprised. Things in nature, the love of our family and friends, the abundance in our lives. It's easy to take it all for granted, but if we can allow ourselves to feel a little surprise that these things should be so, it can often lead us into gratefulness.

"We are never more than one grateful thought away from peace of heart."

Here is a link that might be useful: Quotes on gratefulness from David Steindl-Rast

o

Sometimes if I'm in a funk, I watch a really sad movie that I know will make me cry. Sometimes, tears are a great cleanser especially when you focus the crying on something like a movie that is soon over rather than a life situation. The other option is to laugh out loud, but it's harder to find truly funny pictures/movies/books.

As others mentioned, try going for a walk outside or in the mall, any place where there's lots of activity and visual stimuli.

If you are truly clinically depressed, then you may need meds for a while to balance your brain chemistry. Have you changed your medications recently? Do any of them have depression as a possible side effect? Maybe you are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder and really, really need some sunlight or the artificial equivalent.

o

FUN supplied the answer - come and visit me in Paradise! We are having 75 degree days with warm nights and lots of sun. Head to the beach and spend the day watching the Dolphins play or the Pelicans catching their food.

The Manitees are migrating right now, and being seen frequently just off the beach in our area. Sting Rays are always to be seen, sometimes in herds of 100 or more, many the size of a wash tub!!!

Come to Florida and watch ships roll lazily along on the emerald green ocean, or build a sand castle in our snow-white sand, warmed by the sun.

Come and sit on one of the many beautiful beaches and sip a soda, read a book and sleep - what are you waiting for?!!!

o

Dark chocolate.

I think most of us do get into funks - as long as they aren't debilitating to the point of not being able to get out of bed, I think funks are a way of rebooting our minds and bodies. It gives us the time and forces us to reassess our lives and ourselves. The time causes us to rethink what we are doing and and ask ourselves if changes need to be made.

If you are happy with your current situation - job, family, friends, yourself - then that is what will reassert itself in time, whether it be a week or two weeks. If you're not happy with one of those things then it gives you the chance to be strong and change the situation. Sometimes being in a funk and realizing that something in your life isn't working, also gives you the time to realize that you aren't going to change the problem and so allows you to accept that as a given in your life.

As long as the funk doesn't become your lifestyle, I'd say you're good.

Every once in a while I get in a funk and I give myself permission to take a time-out from life - I might read for a couple of days, or turn of my phone, or whatever, and just shut my brain down. Nothing wrong with that - in my opinion. Life can get overwhelming, even when it is going well.

o

I just keep busy and that keeps me going. Whether it be working or having fun, just keep busy and ready to go when the girls call and say lets go shopping or just watching Alyssa and being with her. I am also thankful for all that I have.

Sue

o

Joann has my contribution. I make a list every day of 5 things I'm grateful for. I also volunteer and the process of giving to others really helps me stay in the moment and remember my gratitude list.

o

Present Moment Perfect Moment~~~I try to always be in the moment, not past or future~~it is hard not to drift away. I go to a life coach and I feel so much better and handle things the way that make me comfortable~~I took control back from all of the toxic people in my life.

I do yoga and work on my spirit with my coach~~when I feel stressed I take a deep breath, open my heart center, by putting by shoulders back and 'Stand in the PEACE of my Yoga'

Namaste~~~to me it means the spirit in me, bows to the spirit in you~~I honor you;)

o

Don't forget music! 'Tis the season for concerts by choirs of all sorts.

o

I call someone when I am in a funk that I can not get out of easily! I have friends for all occasions, with a special friend I can call anytime, about anything. :)

Most times going for a bike ride works for me, or digging up an area for a new flowerbed, or cooking something... even vacuuming and cleaning up my house work... but those all take a lot more effort than the call.

Overall, I am such a lucky person. I got GREAT kids, GREAT grand kids, and so many GREAT friends. Just thinking about that is a good pick me up.

Good luck, and get out of your funk already!!!!

Moni

o

Yes, all of these things are things I do. Helping people is top of my list and so is enjoying emotional outlets like gardening or cooking. I am going to lunch with a friend today, planned one for the 19th, one for the 20th with my dad, one for teh 21st with my mom. I just figured it out. Nevermind! Not knowing is the hardest part for me, always. Fog lifted. Thanks for listening :)

Y'all have a great weekend!

o

Look around you. Yesterday I had to get up at five to get downtown for a medical procedure at 7:30. (Yes, the one with the 'purge' that ended at midnight!) I was tired, dehydrated, and apprehensive about the outcome of the procedure.

I was grateful I had my dear DH to drive me. The sky was almost completely clear. The moon was full in the west, accompanied by a bright planet. There was another planet in the east. We got to Lake Shore Drive just in time to see the red sun emerge from Lake Michigan. I forgot my temporary self importance in wonderment at the forever world.

o

The 21st is the anniversary of when I found out I wasn't pregnant any more. No child and on top of it the placenta had become a tumor. But, this year, the checkup appointment is on the 21st itself. It's worthy of deep sadness. Knowing what it is, I can compartmentalize it. Some things are worthy of it and it's allowed. I had to give myself permission to think of the the what could've been moments. And then I'll get up and move on. Yep, life does go on.

o

It is easy here in the norther tier of the US in the winter months to feel sessions of depression etc, but since I have had my vit D level checked and found it was low and taking extra it really makes a difference, but then I like cold weather.
I love being outside, working on my hobbies, being with some people especially in my women's Bible group, being with my kids, grandkids and now with the 4 great grandkids, and yes, shopping by myself, even if I don't buy anything. Just watching people.
In CA I loved to go outside as we had 5 acres in the mountains and in the sping seeing all the new baby quail, and other animals. So quiet so calming
And yes, every morning I try to remember to say Hi to Jesus and ask for help for the day.
Hope this finds you in a better mood and more postive spirits.
Marie

o

rob333 - My opinion, but You are allowed to grieve for the "what ifs" and the "if only"s. We all do it either consciously or subconsciously.

I was going to come back and say, don't say 'nevermind', I don;t think we're nosy here (ok maybe sometimes) but I'm sure you know that in our anonymous little cyberworld that we do care. But it is always up to us as individuals to decide if, and how much, we want to share.

My thoughts are with you.

o

I am in a much much better mood. I just wanted others to know, it's not as easy as picking myself up this time. Usually it is, but not this time. Knowing what was bothering me deep inside, allowed me to let go of it all.

I know you care, it's just hard to know what is really going on sometimes. You weren't being nosy in any way. They are all good answers. I do sometimes want to do something other than that the same old thing. I'm filing all the answers away for future use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here