Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribbon Necklace

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 14:47

I have just made one of those ribbon necklaces from the Trellis Yarn. It really turned out nice.

One slight problem I want to fix. The small loose ends at the end of the necklace, (where it ties at the neck) is there a product that I can put on these ends to stiffen them up and stick together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribbon Necklace

No Fray?
I am sure there is a product like this that is similar to glue...I mean its not spray but I can't find it. I am sure a craft store or sewing would have it.

Here is a link that might be useful: no fray

o

how about the aleenes tack over glue

o

opps tack it over

o

I have never seen the ends that you are suppose to tie so I can only make a guess here.LOL When the post came up about these I had never heard of them so I googled and found instructions and pictures of the finished product,but not the ends.I "somewhat" understand how the ends are finished and I wondered if you might not be able to use a metal closure of some kind like is used in jewelry making.Like maybe a toggle closure? I don't crochet so I have no knowledge in that area.As for something to stiffen the ends,I have NO idea! LOL I know there are products on the market that are used to stiffen fabric,just don't have a name right now.Maybe check out the craft stores??

o

Here is a picture of the necklace I have made and you can see the ends I am talking about.

Photobucket

o
RE: Ribbon Necklace fraying

Very pretty!
What is the ribbon made of? If it's nylon or synthetic you could burn the ends with a match or lighter or even the tip of a wood burning tool.

o

I've been thinking about how to finish them off too. I think a bead with a large hole (plastic pony beads might work. Slip the bead on the end, then slip a small jewerly ring on and then use a crochet hook or something pointy to stick the end back into the large hole bead...squirt a drop or two of "crazy glue" into bead and onto the ribbon. Trim edges off. On the rings put a lobster clasp on one and the ring it comes with on the other.

I think it would look a little nicer than just being tied.

patti

o

That is VERY beautiful!! My gosh I don't know what I was thinking but sure didn't imagine that! How hard was it? LOL Could a mostly beginner crocheter do it?
I am going to have to google! It looks like thread. Very cool.

o

They are very easy to make just chain stitch. I use a yarn called "ladder yarn", it has a stained glass look to it.

o

Fray check would work. It's not a spray, just squeeze on
a few drops. Or super glue... or there could be some
kind of jewelry finding that you could crimp on the
ends

here is a crimp bead cover...
http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWFNCRIMPCOVER

or glue it in to something like this....
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201037FY

I'm not a jewelry maker, beader, but there has to be something like that

Here is a link that might be useful: fray check

o

THANK YOU Kat! Thank heavens you came up with what I was trying to say! hahahaha I used to have some of that Fray Check too.

o

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will get some Fray Check

o

OH, I forgot to add, on a scrap piece I would try
burning the edge too!

o

this is adorable, i'm going to find some of this ribbon yarn next time i go shopping for supplies :D thanks patti for telling me about it! and thanks enjoyingspring for sharing! i'd try burning the edge,too :D
kudzu

o

Good luck finding that ribbon, Kudzu.
Seriously, I have been all over ---JoAnn's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, all Dollar type stores, Big Lots, etc. No one seems to have it anymore! I have heard it is discontinued and can only be found online.( I don't like to order online) Please let us know if and where you are able to locate any! TIA

o

I'd use a ribbon crimp, like these from Fire Mountain.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?SKW=KWFNTERMINATERIBBONEND

o

oldgardener...they only sell in packages of 100...that would cost you over 230.00...Unless you plan on making that many I think that's a bit costly. I'd look for something else.

It says you can buy them for as little as .02 cents apiece...wonder how many you'd have to order to get that many.

patti

o

They also show them listed as sold in packages of 10, which would be good for making 5 necklaces.

o

Did a search on Google, found a few (seemingly) inexpensive choices - will look further after I'm done eating :-)

That necklace looks beautiful, and even though you say it was easy I can tell effort - great job on your part :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: ladder yarn search

o

April...it's not a yarn... it's called a ribbon I think...it's something weird.

patti

o
RE: Ribbon Necklace 2

oldgardner...I see they do...sorry about that.
But that would still be too much for me..

If I can find the crochet ribbon at all I think I'll try the pony beads... I won't be selling them, they'll just be gifts for my cousing and maybe for me...lol

patti

o

Thank you for the correction, though the search did turn up what we were looking for...I will try to be more precise in my descriptions when/if I post. As I've used it before to crochet with, I automatically call it "yarn" as the first thing that comes to mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here