Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!

Yes, that goes for me too.

o

o

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American friends!!!

o

Thanksgiving, Happy Thanksgiving, Keefers

o

o

Happy Thanksgiving everybody !!!

june

o

Thank you, Phyllis. I hope everyone has a happy day!

o

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. All of you make my day reading what you are doing. Stay safe, enjoy your family & friends & don't eat to much.

o

Thank you, Phyllis and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and to everyone else out there.

o

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope everyone has someone to share the holiday with and that we all remember to be thankful for all we have including this forum which has so many wonderful people. Satine

o

Happy and BLESSED Thanksgiving, all my KT family!

Here's some food for thought:

Thanksgiving is a holiday surrounded by myths and legends. Many societies have a day set aside to give thanksgiving for the many blessings they enjoy. In the United States, Thanksgiving has become a time for families and friends to get together, eat probably too much, and give thanks.

Following are some interesting facts about this beloved holiday:

While most Americans think of the Pilgrims as celebrating the first Thanksgiving in America, there are some claims that others in the New World should be recognized as first. For example, in Texas there is a marker that says, "Feast of the First Thanksgiving - 1541."

The date of what is typically recognized as the first Thanksgiving is not precisely known though it occurred between September 21 and November 9, 1621. The Plymouth Pilgrims dined with the Wampanoag Indians for the first Thanksgiving.

The First Thanksgiving lasted for three days.

According to Edward Winslow, a participant in the first Thanksgiving, the feast consisted of corn, barley, fowl including wild turkeys and waterfowl, and venison.

52 Pilgrims attended the first Thanksgiving in 1621 including John Alden, William Bradford, Priscilla Mullins, and Miles Standish.

Approximately 50 Native Americans attended the first Thanksgiving including Massasoit and Squanto - the Pilgrim's translator.

The First Thanksgiving was actually a secular event that was not repeated. A Calvinist Thanksgiving actually did occur in 1623 and did not involve sharing food with the Native Americans.

The first national celebration of Thanksgiving was declared in 1775 by the Continental Congress. This was to celebrate the win at Saratoga during the American Revolution. However, this was not an annual event.

In 1863, two national days of Thanksgiving were declared: One celebrated the Union victory at the Battle of Gettysburg. The other began the Thanksgiving holiday we still celebrate today.

The author of "Mary Had a Little Lamb," Sarah Josepha Hale, was key in getting Thanksgiving officially recognized as a national holiday.

Each year the President officially declares a day of National Thanksgiving.

Since Harry Truman, every president has pardoned a turkey for Thanksgiving.

o

Right -

- HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE (south of that border, that it).

They're even talking of Black Friday up here, now).

ole joyful

o

Happy Thanksgiving!

o

from me too.
Thanks Kay for that lovely dish for our table "Here's some food for thought"

o

Happy Thanksgiving Day Today.

Sue

o

special thanks to mrs clinton! happy thanksgiving!

o

Got my apple pie done last night and will be doing the pumpkin (made from real pumpkin, not canned) pie soon. Then fire up the charcoal grill and get out the rotisserie, slap the bird on and let it cook.

We discovered this way years ago, and George and I continue to do it unless we're invited out. Comes out nice and juicy and frees up the oven for other things.

Among my blessings, I count you folks here on KT as one of them.

Happy Turkey Day all.

o

Happy Thanksgiving Phyllis and everyone. I'm eating leftovers this morning. The kids are going to their father's today so I decided to make dinner yesterday.

o

Getting ready to load up the car, go pick up Mom, and head down to my brother and family in Holmes County. Looks like a nice, but chilly, day out there. Will be a pretty drive.
Eat lots of food everyone!! and have two pieces of pie!

o

Happy Thanksgiving to all, may everyone be safe, happy, and have a full belly today!!
It's just the two of us so we are not having a big deal but the turkey is sure smelling good!
Enjoy the day!

o

Have a happy, blessed and safe Thanksgiving to all my KT friends and their loved ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here