Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone Bakeware Question

Posted by ont_gal (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 14:40

I "just" purchased a couple of baking items that are silicone-loaf pans,round cake pan and a bundt pan-is there anything different about using them from the traditional metal pans that I need to know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone Bakeware Question

Be sure to use a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan underneath for stability and ease of transport.

o

Google what you are asking here and it might help. Also if I remember there is or was a magazine called Canadian Living. Maybe if you went to there website, or even Food Network website.

o

Sounds counter-productive, but I spray the pans with a cooking spray. Things were rising quite as much in the silicone. I don't remember what it was that set me to thinking, but I finally came to the conclusion that they was nothing for the batter to "grab" on to. Once I started to use spray, that fixed the problem.

As Fun2B pointed out, make sure you place a pan or cooling rack, or something study under the silicone before filling. Otherwise you will not be able to get the pan to the oven without a major disaster.

o

Be sure to read and follow the instructions that came with the pans. The ones I have say NOT to place them on cookie sheets when baking. And they also say to NEVER use cooking spray. That's generally a good way to ruin any pan--metal or silicone, because it leaves residue behind that eventually builds up and destroys the surface.

Don't expect a nice crust on your baked goods. Don't expect the pan to really be non-stick--I've never had any pan stick as much as those darned silicone things do.

Some people (I'm one) notice a distinct silicone taste in food cooked in them, as well.

I'm not a fan as you can tell. But I have found a way to use mine. I put muffin liners in the muffin pan and use it to bake individual cheesecakes in the microwave.

o

I hope you like yours better than I liked mine. I got rid of them after first thinking they were such a great idea. I was soooo glad I had not thrown out my old muffin pans. I can't imagine not putting the silicone "bakewear" on a baking sheet...especially muffin tins. They have no sturdiness to keep them on an oven shelf. I found them hard to clean up, also.

o

I've used Silicone bakeware for years, and found some brands have the problems described (like Kitchenaid).
Good silicone bakeware can be folded. The stiffer the pan, the worse it is.
I do put my silicone bakeware on a cooling rack before putting into the oven - for stability.

I also use a very light spray of cooking oil, but the best stuff (I forget the brand, it's not made in the US and is black.) needs no oil applied.

o
RE: Silicone Bakeware Question2

thank you all! experiments ahead,I can see ;)

o

Monica - can you find the better spray in the supermarket? I'll check Shop Rite and Wegman's the next time I go there - and maybe even Whole Foods.

o

Since the spray causes gunk to build up like on non-stick cookware, I'd use the Better than Pam goop.

I had some for a while too and Freecycled them. Hated it.

o

Mare, I was speaking of better silicone product pan, not better spray.
I still cannot remember brand, not made in USA, and I bought it at a local gourmet cooking specialty store in Skippack,pa.

My only suggestion as to using the commonly sold molds, is to spray very lightly.

o

Thanks Monica - I just went back and read your post - I completely misread that sentence. Thanks for the correction - that will save me from hunting for the black can of spray oil!

o

Somebody just posted a set of silicone bakeware on Freecycle to give away. They didn't care for it at all.

o

The Wilton Molds are good.
The more flexible the mold, the better.

Silicone is just a material. Like all cookware, the quality of the material, be it aluminum/steel/silicone, etc. varies greatly in the marketplace.

o
RE: Silicone Bakeware Question3

all very interesting-I s'pose the good thing is that it is extremely bendable(good thing?) and appears to be darker,not quite black,but darker. Heres hoping

o

I love using my silicone muffin pan for freezing soups or sauces in. Makes perfect single size portions, then I remove them from the pan and put them in ziplocks. I also like making no bake cookies in them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here