SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

For those that asked here are the recipes

secsteve
12 years ago

The Party Apricot Bars are one of my most requested treats at Christmas.

1 C. Dried Apricots 1 C. Sifted All Purpose Flour

1/3 C. Granulated Sugar 1/2 C. Uncooked Rolled Oats

1/2 Butter or Margarine (I prefer butter)

1/3 Sifted Flour 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder 1/4 Tsp Salt

2 Eggs well beaten

1 C. Packed Brown Sugar 1 Tsp Almond Extract

1 C. Flaked Cocoanut and Extra Cocoanut for topping

In saucepan simmer apricots in water to cover for 10 mins. Drain and set aside to cool.

Combine sugar, 1 C. Flour and the rolled oats. With pastry blender cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.

Press the mixture into a greased 9x9x2 inch pan making sure mixture comes up on sides as well as bottom. Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile cut apricots into small pieces. Shift the 1/3 cup flour with baking powder and salt. Into well beaten eggs gradually blend in the brown sugar and almond extract. Stir in the flour mixture, aprictos and cocoanut. Spread this mixture carefully over the hot baked shell and sprinkle top with extra cocoanut. Bake for 30 minutes more and let cool and cut into bars.

I usually let the bars get almost completely cold before cutting. If cut too soon the filling tends to fall apart.

Honey Date Nut Bars

3 Eggs Well beaten 1 Tsp. Vanilla

1 C. Honey 1 C. Chopped Nuts

1 1/2 C. Flour 1 lb. chopped dates

1 Tsp Baking Powder 1/4 Tsp Salt

Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add honey slowly; add flour and baking powder shifted together. Add dates, nuts, vanilla and salt. Pour into large greased and floured shallow pan (like for a jelly roll). Batter should not be over 1/4 inch deep. Bake in 350 oven until golden brown 30-35 mins. Cut into bars and roll powdered sugar. Store in crock or cookie jar and cover. Taste best if allowed to ripen for about a week. Keep a long time.

I was asked how many dozen I make of each. I just keep on making the different type until it looks like I have enough for all my trips. I'd guess well over 12 dozen.

Hope everyone enjoys these.

Comments (11)