Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sometimes I wish the KT had a "Like" button (like FB)

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 14:15

Clicking "Like" on Facebook is a nice way to say that you read someone's post and agree with it, or learned from it, or otherwise enjoyed it. Sometimes I'd rather do that than write a response.

Of course, I suppose we could always just type like. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sometimes I wish the KT had a "Like" button (like FB)

LIKE!

o

...or emoticons. We could type a thumbs up symbol.

o

I suppose, but as a discussion forum who really cares if you like or dislike what you read in a thread? I think we gain more from someone sharing their perspective rather than just posting a thumbs up.

o

Well, that depends entirely on the nature of the post. Some posts, such as You can forgive but not forget, invite discussion. Others--Any bargains at your grocery lately? for example--ask a question. But posts that share a tip or experience, like Salgal's Great recipe accident, could easily and appropriately be Liked. The OP would probably be happy to know so many read her post with pleasure.

o

LOL

o

tee hee Bumpkin!

o

o

Cute, Country Bumpkin, but if you're as fast a typist as I am it takes no more time and effort to type That was great! than it does to move your mouse around and click Like.

o

I agree with you, Alisande. I'd like a like button.

o

I agree, Alisande!

o

Like, Dislike, or No Opinion. Does it really matter? If you read a post and personally gain from that information but have no specific comment to share that is okay. Take bits and pieces from life and grow from the knowledge. There isn't a need to always provide feed back or approval.

This all ties into self-absorption and the thought process that we all need reaffirmation. This is similar to the mind-set of let's give all the children a trophy because they competed in the soccer game or every swimmer gets a ribbon, even if all it says is "participant". The winners should get recognized and the others should simply learn from prarticipating and work to get better - to achieve a trophy or ribbon that carries worth.

o

LIKE!! for a like button! or a thumbs up button!

o

Self-absorption? Swimmer22, I'm guessing you're not a big fan of Facebook. :-)

o

They still don't have an edit feature much less a "like" button....dream on! HAHAHA!

o

Yeah, the edit feature definitely trumps the "like" button. Dreaming on.....

o

"This all ties into self-absorption and the thought process that we all need reaffirmation."

I feel the same way... and I AM a fan of Facebook!

o

Susan...I agree!!!

o

I never really understood "Like", anyway! I agree that a quick "that was great" or something similar is better if one feels they need to somehow comment.

And we do have an edit option here. It's the preview screen. Read what you typed and change it if you don't like the way it reads or if you made a mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here