Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Brach's candy

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 14:09

Got a nice email back and they have 3 plants in the USA and 2 in Mexico. Yes the texture has changed and to me is not as nice as smooth. They claim the quality control is the same, but I do wonder.
Will watch further purchases.
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Brach's candy

What kind of Brach's candy is it? We bought those tootsie roll type things for the first time in YEARS and we were so disappointed. Nothing like we remember!

o

Apparently it could be anything they make with their brand. I am talking about the candy corn and mini pumpkins I bought at Halloween. After I opened the package look not at pretty and bright as usual.

o

Tootsie Rolls are my go-to candy when I want just a little something that lasts a while. The last bag I bought, which is always the large bag of Minis, were not good. They seemed to be stale.

I didn't know they were made by Brachs; just never noticed.

I may not buy any more, but then I'd have to find a new "fix."

Sue

o

Some of Green Giants vegetables are from other countries too.

o

As I posted in the other thread, Brach's is now owned by Farley's & Sathers whose brands are seen in dollar stores, Walmart, gas stations and similar places. So that might tell you something right there.

A friend of mine is a candy corn connoisseur and he was talking about the "wax coating" that is on candy corn these days. He definitely mourns the loss of the candy corn of old.

o

Sue-Va and others: The REAL Tootsie Rolls are not made by Brach's.

Maybe Brach's has a generic version, but Tootsie Rolls are made by Tootsie Roll Industries (which also makes Charleston Chews, Charms Blow Pops, Andes mints, Junior Mints, Sugar Daddies, Sugar Babies and some other candies).

Sue, maybe you got an outdated bag? Some groceries are not as good at pulling past-their-prime shelf foods and instead just rotate the stock around. I bought some Crystal Light packets a couple months ago and they were all hard. I looked at the info on the box, and sure enough the "use by" date was like 2 months previous. (Got a refund in the form of a coupon from the manufacturer.)

o

This reminds me of some stories I used to hear daily.

My ex used to work for a company that received rail tankers of sugar from all over ( a lot from mexico).
They screened and filtered, then broke it down, heated and mixed to make different blends and then shipped out on trucks.

Each company requires different standards and blends.
The blend is such a delicate thing...the better companies test each load and would refuse if not perfect. He told me sometimes if production lines were running fast, they might not test or accept something that was a little "off". Some never tested at all. (his company would send them others rejects! - he left because of their practices)

If even one ingredient is off a little, it can change the texture, flavor or color of an entire week or more production.

I can say name brand soda companies have some of the cleanest standards. They would have suprise inspection. Their tankers were theirs. All had to be accounted for. One of the worst I remember was a taffy company in NJ.
He said he would never eat taffy again...nevermind the sugar...he wondered how they passed health inspection.

I know there are probably lots of horror stories about what happens in food plants, I just dont want to know anymore!

o

Seeing the Brach name reminds me that no one was ever prosecuted in the mysterious disappearance of Helen Brach. I sometimes see that one of her trusts has funded this or that animal care organization. She should never have gotten mixed up with the notorious Jayne family of horse traders.

o

I like the Brach's chocolate covered peanuts and peanut clusters! They taste the same to me as always--and I eat way too many.

o

It took me a while to get what was meant by the Tootsie Roll type things mentioned but then it hit me. I think you're talking about the Milk Maid® Flavored Caramel Rolls with the flavored cream filling. I like those and get them on occasion but they're smaller than they used to be, even factoring in that I'm larger than I used to be too. The last batch were a pain to unwrap. Probably met with some heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here