Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry noodles

Posted by jkayd_il5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 13:42

While cleaning a top cabinet I found a bag of dry noodles I bought at an Amish store in June 2011. Can I still use them? Some are a bit broken but otherwise look OK. I have some leftover roast beef and may attempt beef and noodles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry noodles

Yes! Noodles are sold dry for long shelf life.

o

As long as you don't see any critters in the bag, go ahead and use them.

o

Sure. I keep dried pasta for years with no problem.

o

The problem you can run into with super old noodles is that when cooked, they can fall apart. It's still okay to eat them, but they don't look as good. I had that happen once, and asked a local pasta maker--he assured me they were still fine to eat (of course, I'd already tossed them, LOL)

o

Being in a bag, the first thing I'd do is put them into another bag and then freeze them for a couple days in case of invaders. Otherwise, a year is nothing for dry pasta. It'll be fine.

When I buy pasta, rice and the like, I freeze them then put in jars or at least an extra bag to keep critters out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here