Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you keep sliced apples from turning brown?

Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 13:33

I've been surfing the web to find an easy, cold party food idea to take to work; the boss lady is turning 50, so we're all bringing in light treats to mark the occasion. Already spoken for on the sign-up list: lots of baked goods, dips, chips, salsa, hummus/pita chips, crudites (that's usually my fallback! as is a dill dip, but it contains raw onions and she won't eat raw onions, so that's out.)

I thought of doing a fruit platter and came across this recipe.

Now I know that pretty much almost immediately sliced apples start to turn brown. (What's the chemical reaction to air that does that?).

Anyway -- pls read this recipe in the link. One of the steps is to place the sliced apples in a Ziploc with half a cup of orange juice, coat them well and then place them on a drying rack.

I've heard of sprinkling lemon juice over sliced apples -- I guess orange juice uses the same acidic properties to keep them from turning.

I'd be horrified if I took this in to work and realized all the apples were brown! Before my last plane trip, I sliced some apples, put them in a container and put them in the fridge. In the morning, they were brown -- I guess the container was not 100% airtight. Maybe I should just put the apple slices, after the draining, into a Ziploc and take them to work that way?

Here is a link that might be useful: apples w/cream cheese-honey dip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you keep sliced apples from turning brown?

I usually just squeeze a little fresh lemon on the apples in a baggie and then move them around to coat them lightly. Doesn't take much. pat dry when putting them on the plate at the function, just so they don't taste too lemony. If they are tart apples, people won' t notice much.

o

I also read somewhere that 7up will stop the browning. Never tried it so I don't know if it's a myth or not. Lemon juice is the common cure for browning of things.

o

Lemon juice in water will keep them from browning for awhile. I think I would slice the apples just before leaving for work at home, and as I slice them throw them in a Tupperware bowl of lemon water. Then I would take bowl, water and apples to work and drain the apples there on paper towel before putting them out.

o

Lemon juice should do the trick.

o

7up works great

o

I use a product called Fruit Fresh. You can sprinkle it on wet fruits or you can mix it with water and dip things like apple or pear slices to prevent browning. It doesn't change the taste at all unlike lemon juice.

o

I'd use the Fruit Fresh also. Sometimes found in the canning department of your grocery.

Sue

o

Tonight I had a salad with sliced apple plus an appetizer with sliced apple. I slices the apples ahead of time and put them in a bowl and covered them with Fresca. 7 up or Mountain Dew works great too. I like using the soda better than lemon juice because the lemon juice over powers the taste of the apple.

o

We do a lot of fruit platters for sports teams at work and we drop the apples as we cut them up into a bowl of water with lemon juice added to it. Drain and place on the tray. The apples don't taste of the lemon.

o

My cupboard is never without Fruit Fresh - it's the greatest. Many times, I slice apples, dust liberally with FF and store in a plastic bag in the fridge. They never get brown, soggy, wet or lose their flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here