SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I thought this recipe couldn't be real.

alisande
9 years ago

My son requested Asian cabbage salad for a party, so I went looking for a recipe. When I saw this one, I thought it must have multiple misprints. A stick of butter in a salad? Butter?? Three-quarters of a cup of oil?? A half-cup of sugar?? I started reading the reviews, and found many people agreed with my reaction to all that sugar and fat. They gave high marks to the recipe because it was delicious after they'd made dramatic changes.

So I made dramatic changes, too, and I agree--it was yummy.

I dry-toasted the sesame seeds, almonds, and noodles, eliminating the butter completely.

Oil was cut down to a quarter-cup (half olive, half sunflower). The vinegar became 2 tbsp. rice vinegar and 1 tbsp, white. Sugar was reduced to 1 tbsp. Ditto the soy sauce.

I made two versions, one using tamari soy sauce and a gluten-free version using Bragg's Liquid Aminos (and eliminating the noodles). Both were good.

It was a big hit at the party.

I'm often amused at food website reviews. People will change every conceivable thing about a recipe, and then give it 5 stars. But of course if they gave it 1 star, few people would click on the recipe--and read their review. And we'd probably miss some good dishes that way.

Comments (22)