Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a good Mac/Cheese w/Broccoli recipe

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 13:08

Went online for Rachel Ray's but reviews said it could be bland and sauce doesn't thicken. Anyone tried hers? Have another mac/cheese/broccoli recipe you like? I want to bake it for the family TG dinner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a good Mac/Cheese w/Broccoli recipe

I know you wanted a baked dish, but why not try this?

Macaroni and Cheese Salad (Marilyn Sue)

1 (7 1/4 oz.) pkg. macaroni and cheese
10 oz. pkg. frozen peas
1 half cup pickle relish
3/4 c. mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (less may be used)
Prepare mix according to directions on package. Add frozen peas. Stir and add rest of ingredients. Chopped green pepper may be added, if desired. Chill before serving.

I have made this and it is delicious. No reason why you could'nt add some chopped eaw broccoli to it. Might be a welcome change from all the hot food.

In fact I am taking a cold dish to TD dinner at my DGS's. It is a salad made with frozen peas, and other good stuff.

Sue

o

Good idea sue. I'll copy that recipe and keep it in mind. In fact I have two boxes of Kraft Mac/Cheese in the cupboard.

o

Looked at Rachel Ray's and the picture just didn't look good.

This one sounds delicious! I have never had mac and cheese with broccoli.

Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
This macaroni and cheese is enhanced, both nutritionally and flavor-wise, with fresh or frozen broccoli. The Gruyere cheese is great, but eel free to replace it with Swiss cheese or use more Cheddar cheese.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
8 ounces elbow macaroni
1 cup broccoli florets fresh or frozen
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, low fat is fine
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
Instructions:

In a medium saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions, until slightly firm. Drain well.

Cook the broccoli following package directions, on the stovetop or in the microwave.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, stirring for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes, remove from heat.
Reserve 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and stir remaining cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan, salt, and cayenne into sauce until cheeses melt. Add macaroni and broccoli to sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with reserved cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, until lightly browned and bubbly.

Serves 4 to 6

o

Thanks glenda.

o

Putting together your casserole recipe right now, glenda. I'll wait and bake it tomorrow morning before heading out to brother's. The Gruyere smells great. I was worried 1/2 cup wouldn't be enough but I think the flavor will be strong enough, esp. along with the cheddar and parmesan.

o
RE: Need a good Mac/Cheese w/Brbbbboccoli recipe

I love Gruyere! Enjoy and let us know how it went.

o

Tasted it and the Cayenne pepper sure is coming thru! I've never cooked with Cayenne as I'm not a big fan of hot,spicey foods, and I knew Cayenne was a hot pepper. I think my brother's clan will be ok with it as they like foods with some zip. We'll see what they say tomorrow. Maybe next time I'll use a little less than 1/4tsp. for myself.

I didn't put the bread crumbs on top yet, going to wait and bake it 15min. first tomorrow and then top. You think that will be ok or maybe not necessary to wait.

o
RE: Need a good Mac/Cheesvve w/Broccoli recipe

1/4 tsp doesn't sound like too much. Maybe by the time it's cooked it won't be as strong.

I'd definitely wait to put the bread crumbs on top.

Why don't you mix the bread crumbs with the cheese before adding?

o

Nope, the 1/4 tsp. wasn't too much, everyone liked the casserole! and yes, I mixed cheese with the bread crumbs when I put it into the oven for the final baking. Thanks! will be making this recipe again.

o
RE: Nebbbed a good Mac/Cheese w/Broccoli recipe

So glad it was enjoyed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here