SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Well, You Asked!!!

User
9 years ago

I attended a Dominican boarding school for my high school years. I was quite young (11) when starting my freshman year. I recall that I was very homesick the first couple of weeks. The nuns were very kind --they baked a birthday cake for my September birthday.

Once I recovered from homesickness I enjoyed the routine of the school. Although there were a few private rooms most of us slept in large dormitory rooms with our 'cells' separated by curtains which could be drawn open and shut. Furniture consisted of a bed, a chair, a throw rug, and a washstand with a pitcher and bowl. Our closets were lined up at one end of the long room. Sister Philip slept in a double 'cell' in the far corner of the dormitory. It was her responsibility to see that we observed the rules and if we were feeling ill we went to her.

Our weekdays started at about 6:30 when the nun in charge of the dormitory went up and down the aisles ringing a small bell. We went to the communal bathroom to fill our pitchers with warm water which we used for our washing up, and we filled a glass with cool water for tooth brushing. When we had disposed of the water, we made our beds, and put our chairs and rugs on top of the bed to make it easier for the person who would be cleaning the dormitory. We dressed in our blue uniform jumpers and tan long-sleeved blouses and went to the chapel for daily Mass. Following that we had breakfast in the refectory (dining room.). We had some time to ourselves before we assembled in the study hall before classes began. Bells were rung when classes were over and we moved from room to room in orderly lines.

At noon we had lunch in the refectory with some free time before afternoon classes

After school we went to the kitchen for a snack which varied from bread and jelly or peanut butter to some sort of cookies or crackers. Every afternoon, following the snack, one of the nuns took us out for a walk of about a mile. We were required to stay in line, two by two.

After the walk there was time in study hall again, then dinner, which was served at 6 o'clock, then recreation. We often played cards. We had a ping-pong table which got heavy use. I remember how excited we were when we got a radio. This was long before television. Sometimes one of the girls would play the piano and we would dance, the older girls teaching the younger ones.

After an hour's recreation there was more study hall. Around 8 o'clock we went to the chapel to say the rosary, then had more time to ourselves before bed around 9:30.

Saturdays and Wednesdays we signed up for our turn to have a real bath in one of the several tubs. There were no showers. On Saturdays we could wear what we chose. We could press our clothes, mend, shine our shoes, set our hair, polish our fingernails, read or play games. Our laundry was done in a basement facility. All of our clothing was marked with our names.

We had a large lawn with swings, a tennis court, and benches where we could sit and enjoy the outdoors. Sometimes on weekends we were taken downtown to see a movie if it was considered appropriate.

Every Sunday, dressed in our black dresses, we attended Mass at Immaculate Conception church across the street. Aside from an hour in the study hall to write letters or do homework we were pretty free to do as we chose, although we could not leave the school without permission.

We were required to write home each week. All letters were handed to the Prefect unsealed and she had the right to read them before they were sent. Mail we received could be opened also. Imagine doing that in this day and age!!

Todays teenagers would consider our lives very regimented but it was typical of our times. Routine and orderliness facilitate accomplishment, I think. I was happy in the surroundings and I think everyone was.

Comments (30)