Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon and orange peel

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 12:28

Posting here instead of cooking forum but I notice that many receipes ask for a small amount of lemon or orange peel--that is 1/4 teaspoon etc
Because here it is hard and expensive to get good lemons and oranges, how much difference is the "real stuff" against the peel in the bottles and how long can the jars be kept-
Does it taste the same etc' Are certain brands better??
Thanks
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon and orange peel

I do have bottles of orange and lemon peel (Penzey's brand) on my shelf. I rarely use them--they're okay, but definitely not as good as the real thing. I wouldn't ever chance using a lower quality (supermarket) brand. Makes SUCH a difference with herbs and spices to get fresh, high quality products--the stuff in the supermarket could have been sitting around on the shelves for years, and is often manufactured with less than high standards (you don't know what else is in it besides the spices).

Look, when you do buy fresh citrus, why not zest the entire thing, measure what you need for your recipe and put the rest in a small container in the freezer? It freezes just fine and will still be better than the dried stuff.

o

Marie, you can grate the whole lemon or orange and store the leftovers in the freezer. I usually wrap it in waxed paper and then foil. Tastes as good as new.

o

Move to Florida! We have fresh Citrus in our yards all the time - Tangerines are especially sweet and juicy right now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here