Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Free/Diabetic Pumpkin Roll Recipe???

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 12:17

DD (Perfect Pets) is looking for a sugar free pumpkin roll recipe. She usually uses my late MIL's recipe (She loves using grandma's recipes), but her boyfriend has a friend at work who loves pumpkin rolls but is diabetic. My mother is, also, and likes it, so she is on a mission. It is also now the busy holiday season at work for her, so she isn't going to get many days off to bake until after Jan 1.

I am also going to post this at the cooking forum, but I know many here are diabetic with good recipes. She has one using splenda to make powdered suger and it was gross and gritty.

Thanks
Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Free/Diabetic Pumpkin Roll Recipe???

Here is a receipe. Ive never tried it though, i use the one, that is on the pumpkin can, and use the same amount of splenda as it calls for on sugar. Even though a person is diabetic, they can still have some sugar. It use to be you couldnt have it at all, but doctors have changed their thinking on that.

Cake:
3 large eggs
1 cup Equal Spoonful*
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup self-rising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Filling:
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
, softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups light whipped topping, thawed, if frozen
2 tablespoons Equal Spoonful** (or to taste)

1. For Cake: Beat eggs and 1 cup Equal for 5 minutes in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer.
2. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Blend in flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
3. Line a jelly roll pan with waxed paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in preheated 350F oven 5 to 8 minutes or until woodenpick comes out clean. Cool 3 minutes in pan; turn out onto a cloth and roll up from the narrow end.
4. Chill in refrigerator until completely cool.
5. For Filling: Beat cream cheese, whipped topping and 2 tablespoons Equal in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until smooth and spreadable.
6. Unroll pumpkin roll and spread with filling. Re-roll. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice cake into pinwheels.

Makes 8 servings.

* May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener

** May substitute 3 packets Equal sweetener

Nutrition Information Per Serving:
calories 159, protein 6 g, carbohydrate 19 g, fat 6 g, cholesterol 87 mg, sodium 341 mg.

Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat.

o

Ladonna, thank you. I will make sure she sees this.

o

here's a link to a 'patch' full of pumpkin cooking ideas! Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: a

o

I use a recepie from Libby's website, but this is one that uses splenda and has all the "right" spices..... Gotta have a bit of ground clove for a little "zing"

Here is a link that might be useful: Libby's recipes

o

I have made pumpkin roll with a regular recipe and substituted Splenda for sugar in equal amounts.I do that with all recipes.
You can also make "powdered sugar" with Splenda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Splenda recipes

o

Lilliepad, how do you make your powdered sugar? I found a recipe that uses corn starch, splenda, and dry milk and it was gross. I know ther is one that also uses just corn starch and splenda. But when I tried them they always come out gritty. For some reason I cant seem to get the sugar substitute fine enough.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I will try them and let yyou know how they come out. I finally got a day off and plan to spend this afternoon baking with DS. Which should be interesting.

Grainlady, DM gave me your recipe and I'm going to try it as soon as I can find some spelt flour and agave nectar. I noticed that the substitution for agave nectar is not cup for cup with sugar. Is there a true measurement for the agave nectar? I noticed you used 1/4c agave nectar in place of sugar, was that a guestimation on your end?

Pets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here