SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for All Kinds of Breads - Week 3 November 2012

Here is a different recipe that we really like for a change of pace.

Smokey Cheese Chile Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained

1 whole egg, beaten

1 egg white, beaten

1/2 cup lowfat milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup diced green chilies

1-1/4 cups finely chopped smoked Cheddar cheese

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in large bowl.Combine pineapple, egg, egg white, milk, oil and chilies in medium bowl. Stir into dry mixture just until moistened. Stir in cheese. Spoon batter into paper lined* muffin cups coated with vegetable cooking spray. Bake at 400 F,18 to 20 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

*I do not line with paper, but spray muffin cups with Pam.

Comments (36)

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Really sounds good as I like both pineapple and chillies.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

This is so delicious and moist! I love this and it's so easy!

Chocolate sour cream cake
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons baking cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1 egg
    Instructions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
    2.In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour batter into baking dish.
    3.Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.

Top with whipped cream, frosting of choice, or dust with confectionate sugar.
    **I personally don't think it needs anything except maybe a scoop of good vanilla ice cream by the side of the piece.

• Related Discussions

Recipes for Breakfast - Week 4 November 2013

Q

Comments (12)
    Have lots to do today since the electric power was off nearly all day yesterday, so I have one less day for all of the preparations for Thanksgiving. Another idea for guests to make and serve themselves a light breakfast before a big meal is to put a toaster or toaster oven on a card table in an out-of-the-way place. Also on the table, put bread plates, butter, margarine, table knives, and the following toppings. Toppings for Toast Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread Mix equal parts of peanut butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. For a sweeter spread, add a little honey to the mixture. The spread will last a week or more in the refrigerator. Apricot Butter Boil two cups of dried apricots with two tablespoons of sugar and 2/3 cup water until soft. Put in a blender and puree with four tablespoons of butter. Add one teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Whipped Honey Butter Use an electric mixer or blender to whip 1/2 cup butter with 2/3 cup honey. If the mixture is too stiff to aerate, add a bit of milk. Season with ground cinnamon if desired. Jazzed up Cinnamon Sugar for Buttered Toast 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons raw sugar Finely grated zest of one orange 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon A few fresh gratings of nutmeg (I scrapes of the nutmeg on the grater) Mix and store in a jar. Keeps unrefrigerated for a couple of weeks, for longer storage, put in the fridge. P.S. I, too, am considering making the Eggs Benedict Casserole, but for Christmas. It sounds so good, Glenda. Do you use the Knorr's brand hollandaise sauce mix? This post was edited by walnutcreek on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 12:37
    ...See More

Recipes for Thanksgiving - Week 1 November 2013

Q

Comments (40)
    Made this last year and it was a keeper! Individual Pumpkin custard 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 large eggs 1 can (15 ounces) 100% Pure Pumpkin 1 can (12 fluid ounces) Evaporated Milk Directions PREHEAT oven to 300 F. MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe. POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking sheet. BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whipped cream, if desired. ***Served mine at room temperature
    ...See More

Recipes for Beef - Week 2 December 2012

Q

Comments (14)
    This is my go-to Shepherd's Pie recipe. It's called Cottage pie because it uses beef. I learned that. :) Cottage Pie (Anthony Sedlak of The Main) 4 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 lb ground beef 2 tablespoons butter 3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium 1 cup diced celery, about 1 stalk 2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste 2 tablespoons flour 1 cup red wine 2 1/2 cups beef stock 1 sprig rosemary 1 sprig thyme 1 bay leaf Salt and pepper to taste mashed potatoes Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large saucepot over medium high heat. Add ground beef. Allow excess liquid to bubble away; stir and cook until meat is well browned and crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Drain excess fat using a colander. Deglaze pot with red wine, scraping up browned bits and let reduce slightly. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, stir briefly and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly and sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two Add in red wine from deglazing beef, scraping up crispy brown bits from bottom of pan. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Season well with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
    ...See More

Recipes for New Year's Week - Week 5 December 2012

Q

Comments (13)
    We're having these for New Year's day--huge football day for us. I'm cutting the recipe in half and not mixing the mayo/MW. I'll just use mayonnaise. HAM AND CHEESE SLIDERS 24 good white dinner rolls 24 pieces good honey ham 24 small slices Swiss cheese 1/3 cup mayonnaise 1/3 cup miracle whip Poppy seed sauce 1 Tablespoon poppyseeds 1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard 1/2 cup butter, melted 1 Tablespoon minced onion 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and miracle whip. Spread onto both sides of the center of each roll. Place a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss inside of each roll. Close rolls and place them into a large baking dish or heavy cookie sheet. Place very close together. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the poppy seed sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over all of the sandwiches. You do not have to use all of the sauce! Just use enough to cover the tops. Let sit 10 minutes or until butter sets slightly. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes or until tops are slightly brown and crispy. Serve warm. Note: Sandwiches can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the fridge ready to bake. Don't know what else yet--probably a small vegetable tray.
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    11 years ago

And the only banana bread I make:

Sour Cream Banana Bread

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour bottom only of a 9 X 5 loaf pan. In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, bananas, sour
    cream and vanilla, blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour, baking soda and salt, stir just until dry
    ingredients are moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
    Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator. Makes 1 loaf.

• luckygardnr
    11 years ago

My DD gave me this easy recipe for Cheese bread. No kneading or anything like that.

Cheese Bread

2 cups flour
    4 tsp baking powder
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    4 T salad oil
    1 cup shredded old or sharp cheese

Sift first 3 ingredients together. Combine next 3 and add to dry ingredients. Fold in grated cheese. Bake for 35 minutes at 375� in loaf pan.

Absolutely delicious!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Since we were discussing fruit cake I thought this would be a good time to give out my mother in laws famous no bake fruitcake recipe. My husband loves the stuff.
    Unbaked Fruit Cake:
    1lb. graham crakers(or box of crumbs)
    1/2lb. raisins
    1/2lb. chopped dates
    1 lb. mixed candied fruit
    1/2 cup candied orange rind(optional)
    1or2 sm.cont.maraschino cherries(if you really like cherries add 2)
    2 cups nuts(or more if you have it and no need to chop)
    1 tsp.cinnamon
    1 tsp.allspice
    1 large can evaporated milk
    1lb. mini marshmellows(1bag)
    Crush crackers and add chopped fruits.
    Heat milk and add marshmellows. Do not allow to melt completely.
    Pour this over dry ingredients.
    Mix well and pack firmly into loaf pans.
    Store in refrigerator a few days before serving.
    *If you want to flavor with rum or bourbon poke holes in top with toothpick and slowly pour a jigger over top(just one!). These do have to "age" in the fridge so don't rush it. And they freeze well.

I don't like that icky fruitcake fruit stuff so we use good dried fruits like cherries, raisins, cranberries etc.
    This stuff is really sticky and messy to work with you have been warned! And making a double batch is not advised it just gets too hard to mix so do individual batches. I know this from experience LOL

• Marigene
    11 years ago

One of our favorite breads!

Struan Bread

Makes 2 loaves

5 cups unbleached bread flour
    1/2 cup coarse cornmeal or polenta
    1/2 cup oats
    3 tablespoons wheat or oat bran
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2.5 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons yeast
    1.5 tablespoons honey
    1.5 cups lukewarm water
    1/2 cup buttermilk, milk

In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine everything. Use the paddle attachment on low speed for about 2 minutes until everything is well-combined. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes to fully hydrate the flour.

Mix again with the paddle attachment for about 2 more minutes, then let rest again. Transfer onto surface sprinkled liberally with flour, and begin to knead for 2-3 minutes total, adding water as needed, until dough is firm but still tacky.

Oil a large bowl, to be used for rising. Take dough, stretch, and fold back over itself. Repeat in the other direction. Form into a ball. Roll dough in oil to coat, rest in bowl, and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Repeat stretch-fold-rest process twice more. When dough has been stretched and folded three times, set in bowl, cover, and let rise in about 2 hours on the counter or overnight in the fridge.

If refrigerating, remove 2 hours before baking. Butter two loaf pans. Divide dough in half. Take one half, and roll into an 8x5 inch rectangle. Roll along the 5-inch side into a log, pinch seam, and let proof in loaf pan about 1.5 hours, until doubled in size. Repeat with other half. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.

Bake loaves for 60 minutes total, rotating pans halfway through, and cool completely before cutting (up to 2 hours).

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

And who doesn't love these:

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients:
    2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix (such as Bisquick or Jiffy)
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    2/3 cup milk
    2 Tbsp. butter, melted
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 tsp. garlic salt
    Method:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
    In a large bowl, mix together biscuit mix, cheese and garlic powder. Add in milk, and stir until well mixed. (Heads up � the dough will get very sticky!)
    With a spoon or with your fingers, shape the dough into biscuit-sized clumps, and drop onto the baking sheet. (Note that the dough will pretty much hold its shape when baked, so feel free to pat down random peaks in the dough if you�d like them to look more uniform!)
    Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until biscuits begin to brown slightly around the edges.
    While the biscuits bake, prepare the warm butter mixture by mixing together the melted butter, oregano and garlic salt in a small bowl. As soon as the biscuits are removed from the oven, brush the biscuits (while they are still on the baking sheet) with the mixture until they are well-coated.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

not actually a bread but everyone loves these during the holidays and so easy to make.

RUM BALLS;
    this recipe is for bourbon or rum balls,
    some recipes say you can use melted chocolate chips instead of the cocoa.
    In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
    with 1 cup of finely chopped pecans,
    1 cup of powdered sugar (confectioners'),
    and 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa.
    In a small bowl,
    combine 1/4 cup of bourbon with 1 1/2 tablespoons of light corn syrup. Stir well.
    Stir the bourbon and corn syrup mixture into the dry ingredients; combine well then chill for at least 1 hour.
    Sift about 3/4 cup of powdered sugar onto a baking sheet or wax paper.
    Shape chilled dough mixture into small balls then roll in the powdered sugar.
    Store in tightly covered containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
    This recipe makes about 36 bourbon balls.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

This sounds really strange but it turns out really good.
    My sister makes this a lot at the holidays.

Pork and bean bread

pork and bean bread
    2cups sugar,
    1c veg. oil,
    3eggs
    1can pork and beans drained,
    2c all purpose flour
    1tsp cinnamon,
    1/2 tsp baking powder,
    1/2 tsp baking soda,
    1 cup raisins
    1tsp vanilla.
    heat oven @325, mix sugar, oil eggs and beans in
    large bowl then blend (mixer) until smooth. combine the next 4
    ingredients, add bean mixture to this, stir in raisins and vanilla. grease
    and flour an 8x8 pan. fill pan about 2/3 full. bake 45 to 50 minutes.
    cool completely before cutting. believe it or not it is very good.
    tastes like pumpkin bread or one of the spice type cakes.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

One of my long time faves especially in the winter.

Hunt Camp Biscuits:
    1 lb. mild sausage
    1 stick butter
    1 small onion finely diced
    1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
    1 Tbsp. Tony Chacheres cajun seasoning
    Dash hot pepper sauce
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    3 cups Bisquick
    2/3 cup milk
    Brown sausage in med. size skillet over med. heat. Using a fork, break sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Drain excess fat and set sausage aside in large mixing bowl. Melt butter in small pan. Saute onions and bell pepper. Combine onions and pepper with sausage. Add cajun seasoning, pepper sauce, and cheese. Mix well. In large mixing bowl, combine Bisquick and milk. Add sausage mixture, knead by hand and form into biscuits. Place biscuits on greased cookie sheet and bake 13-15 minutes at 450. Yields 10-12 biscuits.
    Enjoy!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

This is a great diabetic dessert recipe from the Mayo Clinic.

Diabetic Carmalized Pear Bread Pudding
    Mayo clinic
    Serves 8
    Ingredients

12 ounces sturdy multigrain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    3 large, firm yet ripe pears, peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced
    2 pinches of allspice
    2 3/4 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons turbinado sugar or firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons dark honey
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

In a large, nonstick frying pan, melt 1 1/2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat until frothy. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add half of the pear slices to the pan and saute until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle a generous pinch of allspice onto the pears, then transfer them to a plate. Repeat with the remaining butter, oil, pears and allspice.

Arrange half of the toasted bread cubes evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the sauteed pears and then the remaining bread cubes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the honey, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves. Whisk until well blended. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently every so often until the bread absorbs the milk mixture. Remove the plastic wrap and arrange the remaining pears on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
    Nutritional Analysis
    (per serving)
    Calories 255 Monounsaturated fat 3 g
    Protein 7 g Cholesterol 60 mg
    Carbohydrate 43 g Sodium 175 mg
    Total fat 8 g Fiber 8 g
    Saturated fat 2 g

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

These are great, sometimes I like to add a small piece of cooked bacon in the bottom of the crust cup for an added surprise, I mean everything is better with bacon lol.

Blue Bites

1 box (15 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
    4 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 oz)
    3 tablespoons half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup walnut pieces or halves
    1/2 cup small fresh parsley sprigs(optional for garnish)

Heat oven to 375. Remove pie crusts from pouches; place flat on work surface. With 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from each crust. Press each round in bottom and up sides of ungreased mini muffin cup.

In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese and blue cheese on medium speed until smooth. On low speed, beat in half-and-half, salt and egg until well blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon mixture into each crust-lined muffin cup. Top each with 2 walnut pieces or 1 walnut half.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is set and crust is light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm.

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

I used to make this often but haven't done much baking in several years. This bread is so good and moist.

Prune Nut Bread

1 cup uncooked, pitted cut up prunes
    Juice of 1 orange plus hot water to make 1 cup
    1 tsp. orange rind, grated
    2 cups flour
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 cup nuts
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 1/2 tsp. melted butter

Pour orange juice and water over prunes. Add rind and let stand 20 minutes. Sift flour 3 times with dry ingredients. Add melted butter and eggs to prunes. Add flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in nuts. Pour in well greased loaf pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Date and Nut Bread

1 1/2 C. chopped dates
    1 1/2 C hot water
    2 T. butter, softened
    2 1/4 C flour
    1 1/2 C. sugar
    3/4 C coarsely chopped walnuts
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine dates, water and butter. Let stand 5 minutes, then drain dates. Combine flour, sugar walnuts, baking soda and salt. Stir in eggs, vanilla and dates. Mix just until moistened. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake 375 45 - 50 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Cool in pans 10 min. Remove and cool on wire racks. I like to serve with softened cream cheese.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Make this most summers:

Cantaloupe bread

3 eggs, beaten
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups granulated sugar
    3 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1 cantaloupe (about 2 cups), cut into 2" chunks and pureed ( I pulsed mine, so had some small bits, which I liked, and then had the puree)
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts) I DID NOT USE NUTS.

Mix eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Add pureed canteloupe to mixture.
    Sift dry ingredients. Add to liquid.
    Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans (I spray them with Baker's Joy). Bake 325* for 1 hour or until done.
    Enjoy!
    MINE BAKED IN 50 MINUTES. I also let it set on a cooling rack in pan for 10 minutes.
    ******I had a large cantalope, so half made 2 cups

• ont_gal
    11 years ago

I haven't a recipe to share currently-just comments :)

Raven-I have been making that Pork and bean loaf for years-certainly good,and you'd never know it was beans :)

Glenda-I really like the sound of your chocolate sour cream cake and banana loaf as well.(thinking I should do that cake tonight :) )

Thank you gals for sharing!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I make Glender's banana bread frequently - it is SO Good!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got this recipe from a site that evidently no longer exists - at least I can't find it after trying for a long time. This rye bread is sooooo goood. I always let the bread machine do the work, then take it out, form it on a shallow pan, let rise a bit, then bake in the oven.

The Best New York Rye Bread

I obtained this from JoyceS' board several years ago. It is wonderful.
    I find to make it lighter I always let it rise longer then what the bread machine allows. After the first kneading cycle, I will Reset my machine to start over (twice). This is a nice traditional New York Rye bread made much easier by using the bread machine. JoyceS's

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
    1 1/3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 2/3 teaspoons caraway seeds
    1 1/3 cups rye flour
    2 1/3 cups bread flour
    1/4 cup vital gluten
    1/4 cup dry milk
    2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in to your bread machine in the order specified by your machine's manual. Set the cycle to Basic or White.

Makes 1 1 1/2 pound loaf

Note: What I do here is set my machine on the 'Dough Cycle'. I then form it to shape, let it rise some more then bake it.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Raven, I make rum balls, too. Almost the very same recipe. I used Jack Daniels and boy, after a couple of those you feel really, really happy.

Georgysmom, I make date nut bread, too. I think it may be my favorite. My recipe is a little different, but the results are probably the same. I like to wrap it in saran wrap and foil after it cools and then let it set overnight. It's even better! I like it slathered in cream cheese :-)

I've made this recipe and it's so good, but it makes way too much for just the two of us. I like you can use the topping by itself as a dip.

Olive Cheese Bread (Pioneer Woman)

1 loaf French Bread
    6 ounces, weight Pimiento-stuffed Green Olives
    6 ounces, weight Black Olives
    2 stalks Green Onions (scallions)
    1 stick Butter, Room Temperature
    1/2 cup Mayonnaise
    3/4 pounds Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated

Roughly chop both black olives and pimiento-stuffed green olives. Slice green onions into thin pieces.

Combine butter, mayonnaise, cheese, olives and green onions in a mixing bowl. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture onto French bread that has been sliced lengthwise. Bake at 325�F for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning.
    Mixture can also be refrigerated (up to two days) and used as a dip. Great with crackers

• patti43
    11 years ago

This is a no-brainer, but I made it to go with soup last night.

Thick slices of Italian bread (I used 7-grain)
    Mozzarella cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350F. Toast bread on one side, remove from oven and sprinkle with a generous amout of cheese and stick it back in the oven until the cheese is melty and gooey.

I made this soup to go with it. I will have to seal and freeze a lot of it, because it made a 5 quart dutch oven full to the brim. I will be making this again--we really liked it and it made the house smell so good!

SPINACH TOMATO ORZO SOUP (The Family Kitchen)

1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 lb spinach, fresh or frozen, defrosted
    1 15 oz can diced Italian tomatoes (with oregano and basil)
    1 lb package orzo pasta
    2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock (8 cups)
    2 quarts water
    olive oil

Preheat a large soup pot. Drizzle with olive oil. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, spinach, chicken or vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Add orzo and cook 12-15 minutes longer.
    Note: I added some rotissiere chicken I had in the freezer. Italian sausage would be good, too.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another bread we really like. Warm with butter spread on it, it is wonderful. Makes great toast, too.

Toasted Almond Bread

1 1/8 cups water
    3 1/3 cups flour
    1 1/2 tbsp. dry milk
    3 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup butter
    1 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine following manufacturer's instructions. Bake on light setting. Makes 1 large loaf.

To bake bread in a regular oven, bake in a preheated 350ðF oven for 35-45 minutes or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped and top is golden.

Brush top of bread with melted butter while still warm.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

I tried a number of biscuit recipes before finding the perfect one. These are the only ones I make, and they turn out every time.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup butter, cubed
    3/4 cup milk (approximately)

In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs. Pour almost all of the milk into the flour, stirring with a fork to form ragged dough. Add more if needed.

Turn dough onto lightly floured board. With lightly floured hands, pat or roll dough lightly to 3/4" thickness. Using a large floured cutter, cut out rounds.

Place onto ungreased baking sheet. Gather up remaining dough and make more biscuits.

Bake in center of 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

The best Christmas Bread (at least my family thinks so.)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those biscuits and cranberry bread sound delicious!

Here is an easy and tasty overnight French toast recipe. I have no idea where or when I got the recipe. If one of you posted it, please let me know.

Easy Overnight French Toast

4 large eggs -- beaten
    1 tablespoon flour
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup half & half
    1/2 teaspoon extract -- see note
    6 slices bread slices -- 1" thick

Combine beaten eggs, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl. Stir well to combine. Add in half and half and extract. Pour 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.

Place bread slices in pan so they are not overlapping. Pour remaining egg mixture over the top of the bread. Cover. Place in refrigerator overnight. To bake, preheat oven to 425F degrees. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops of the bread are golden.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is my mom's recipe for pancakes. It is truly yummy. We would hang around the stove while Mom was cooking these pancakes - we loved watching the bubbles appear.

Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

1 1/4 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/4 c. buttermilk
    2 Tbsp. melted butter

Preheat and lightly grease a large skillet or electric griddle.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together in a bowl. Add the egg, buttermilk, and butter; stir together lightly, but keep it lumpy. The batter should look thick, spongy, and puffy.

Drop 1/3 cup of the batter into the skillet, spreading lightly with the bottom of the cup. Cook until lightly-browned on each side, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I haven't tried these, but they're on my short list. They'd be great with soup.

COTTAGE CHEESE AND CHEDDAR MUFFINS

1 egg
    3/4 cup water
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup self-raising flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Mix together all ingredients except parmesan until just combined. Spoon into well greased muffin pans and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. NOTE: To make 1 c. self-rising flour, mix 1 c. flour with 1-1/4 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.

• Bakingmama
    11 years ago

Yeast Bread Rolls

I just eyeball and throw everything together without measuring but I think this recipe is close. This is a quick way, my mom makes yeast bread too but it takes her hours.

1/2 c. warm water
    2 tsp. yeast
    1/4 c. sugar
    poof for about 5 mins.
    add
    1 c. warm water
    1/4 c. canola oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    mix
    slowly add about 3 c. flour
    cover and let rise 30 mins.
    make balls and place in pan and cover and let rise another 30 mins.
    bake at 350

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Buttery Yeast Rolls

I found this on Food.com
    Prep Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 18 mins
    Yield: 20-24 rolls

Ingredients

1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup warm milk
    1 eggs
    1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, softened
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour ( NOT bread flour!)
    1 package dry yeast ( 2 1/4 tsp)
    1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine

Directions

Place all ingredients except the 1/4 cup butter into bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
    Select the dough cycle and start machine.
    Shape dough into 20 to 24 balls and place in buttered pan (s).
    Melt the 1/4 cup butter and brush it over the tops of rolls, saving the excess for brushing on after baking.
    Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
    Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes.
    Brush baked rolls with remaining butter.
    NOTE: This dough can also be divided into two portions and each rolled into a 12-inch circle; spread each circle with softened butter, cut into 8 wedges and roll up starting with wide end, to make crescents OR use this dough for cinnamon rolls or sticky buns.

I made a batch of these today and they are really good. I used real butter and rolled them out jelly roll style and buttered and rolled them up and put them in muffin pans. I use the homemade Pam grease and the recipe made 14 large rolls. I baked mine for 15 minutes. I think I will get out two bread machines and make two batches for Thanksgiving.

Sue

• sandiefl
    11 years ago

I was looking for my Squash Casserole recipe yesterday and found a recipe for some kind of cupcake that called for Ice Cream and one other ingredient. I bought the small cupcake papers so that I could make them and now cannot find the recipe anywhere. Don't think I saw it on here.Has anyone of heard of something like this?

• sandiefl
    11 years ago

I found the recipe for Fantastic Rolls.It was in my Church Recipe Book. I haven't tried it yet,but will before Thanksgiving.

1 cup self rising flour
    1 cup melted Ice Cream

Mix flour and melted ice cream. Pour in Muffin tin. Serve hot or cold. Makes 12 small or 6 large.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These rolls are fantastic! I got this years ago when the TSR website had a forum.

French Bread Rolls To Die For
    Issa@TSR

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 cups bread flour

In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces, and form into round balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls

1 Package dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/2 cup melted butter
    4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon soda
    2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir in butter

Combine dry ingredients; add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
    Stir well. Turn dough out on a floured surface, knead gently a few times and shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Keeps for one week.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Sherry we call that recipe Angel Biscuits. They are good. I let mine raise, do you?

Sue

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Is that Angel biscuits? I've seen that posted over the years here, and didn't know what they were.

I don't always let the rolls rise. That would be why they didn't turn out every time. Now I know! Thanks Sue.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Sherry, some recipes call for the biscuits to raise and others don't.

Sue

• jude31
    11 years ago

I never let my Angel Biscuits rise.....just followed the recipe about a hundred years ago, it seems. My DIL always makes the rolls for our holidays and since my children have been grown, for some reason, I just quit making them. Now, in spite of the fact that bread is my favorite food, I'm trying to eat very little of it in order for me AND Bob to lose some weight. It ain't easy, folks.