SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Family Pressure

kittiemom
11 years ago

My husband's brother & his wife have two small sons, ages 2 & 3. They are talking about having another. My MIL has told me that they are tight financially despite both having good jobs. They don't pay for daycare because my MIL babysits the kids during the day. They have a new vehicle purchased by the wife's parents. This brother is the youngest of three; my DH is the oldest. DH & I have no kids, nor does the middle brother & his wife. When we are with the younger brother, he makes a lot of comments to the kids like, "Tell uncle you want an iPad". Or he'll tell them, "Uncle's going to buy you a laptop". Sometimes we've brought gifts & he's made comments like, "They didn't need that, they need a computer." Last night he mentioned that the middle brother needs to buy furniture for the kids as well as making the laptop comment to us again. He doesn't say them in a joking way. Because BIL is the baby, he's always seemed to expect that the rest of the family buy things for him and/or his family. His wife never makes comments like this. DH's dad sometimes makes similar comments. I'm uncomfortable with these comments. I guess one reason is that no one in my family would say anything like this to their brothers or sisters, so I'm not used to it. I also feel like DH & I are being pressured to buy things for the kids. DH is thrilled to finally have nephews & I understand this. My only nephew is nearly 30, so I experienced this when I was much younger. So far, due to their young ages, DH & I have avoided any conflict about this. I want to buy them gifts, but don't like feeling pressured to buy them expensive items simply because the parents are having problems managing their money. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Comments (24)