Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menu suggestions for pot roast dinner

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 12:13

My dear friend is coming for dinner Saturday night. I thought I might do a chuck roast in the crock pot, so easy. But what would be good with it? I could roast some veggies, but would welcome other ideas. I'm in such a cooking rut.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menu suggestions for pot roast dinner

I always serve a horseradish sauce, on the side, with roast.

o

I've gotten into something different instead of potatoes lately...

I boil or steam cauliflower until it's nice and soft, usually with some garlic, then I mash it with butter and some cheese.

It works and plays well with gravy, it's tasty, and the texture isn't unlike very coarsely mashed potatoes.

o

Pot roast is so good in the conventional manner. The browned potatoes and carrots in it just seem to be mandatory to me. A salad or coleslaw is always a good compliment and a light side dish and pick a dessert of your choice. Again, with the substance I might aim for a lighter dessert, but... *that* is not mandatory! :)

o

Since moving north (first to MN then to MI) I've learned how delicious Rutabaga is! I was introduced to it in pasties, then started adding to soup, and now to pot roast. Cut it up the same size you would cut potatoes and cook it along with potatoes, carrots, onions, and the pot roast!

Or, if you wanted to get away from roasted veggies entirely, how about serving your pot roast with a savory rice dish and a steamed veggie like brussel sprouts or sugar snap peas?

Or maybe make it into old-fashioned hot beef sandwiches!

o

Some garlic mashed potatoes are good with roast. Some fried beets are really good too with a really nice touch of colour. I do mine in matchsticks.

o

i'd oven cook the entire dinner...baby carrots, chunks of onion, celery and small reds (potato) as an added dish, a nice tossed salad...prehaps dinner rolls?

something light for dessert...

the house will smell like heaven...

o

I second susanjf's suggestion. Yum!

o

I don't have a crockpot and sometimes think it would be a nice thing to have.

However, I've got my Grandmother's heavy old dutch oven that I use for pot roasts. And it's everything into the pot - roast, carrots, celery, new potatoes, button mushrooms, green beans... Couldn't be easier or heartier with a nice roll on the side.

Well, I always thought reliance on a dessert was pretty much an Eastern European trait - my parents and their parents and grandparents thought a meal (except breakfast) was incomplete without a sweet. Fruit was a snack. A home made cookie usually, maybe brownie or pudding for just family, but something a bit fancier for company - cake, pie or bars.

o

Check out "Our Recipes" There is a mashed Sweet Potato recipe there that is very good, there is no butter in it. You may find some other things to go with that roast, look around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our recipes

o

When I do mine in crockpot I add onions,potatoes,carrots then have a loaf of crusty, crunchy bread mmm/.

o

I too always put in the small red potatoes, onions and baby carrots in the crock pot with the roast. Then I cook some rice and serve the roast gravy on the rice, we love some rice and gravy! If the gravy is thin pour it into a saucepan, mix up some cornstarch and water in a cup, add that to the juice and heat to thicken.

I posted a baked potato casserole recently that would also go good with it, it is probably in the Our Recipes.
BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE

o

I too think if you're making a crock pot roast, the potatoes and carrots are kind of mandatory... although to mix it up...you can prepare them as you like... either roast them, or partially or fully mash them, etc... I've got a recipe for a carrot souffle I can dig up if you want it.

If you want to do something a little different with your crock pot roast, you could try doing a french dip with it and then serving fries and green beans or whatever...

Here is a link that might be useful: French Dip

o

That sounds good, Carla. I like the veggies with a roast, but I don't like them when they are cooked to death as they sometimes are with the crock pot.

I might make that French Dip. Serve with a couple salads maybe. DH is diabetic, so we'll skip the fries. The french bread will be bad enough.

Thank you everyone. Wonderful ideas.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here