SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

A famous author's Thanksgiving menu

alisande
9 years ago

Diana Gabaldon (Outlander, etc.) posted this on Facebook. She must be a foodie! it would probably give me a heart attack, but it does sound delicious.

Fruit-stuffed turkey (rubbed with olive oil steeped overnight with rosemary and garlic. Was just out picking the rosemary under a Cheshire Cat moon; scared the poo out of a rabbit in my dark garden (feeling was mutual).)

Potato-Leek soup, with shallots and bacon crumbles. (Saute sliced leeks and shallots in butter, boil Yukon Gold and Red Rose potatoes as if to make mashed, run them all through the food-processor, add milk to make desired thickness of soup, finish with splash of cream and crumbled cooked bacon.)

Yam Thingie--not sure what to call it, as not sure it will taste any good; just thought it up so haven't actually tried it before. Roasted yams and half a butternut squash, run through food processor (life without Cuisinart not worth contemplating at this time of year) with butter and a splash of the good maple syrup sent by Canadian friend, fluff with fork and drag through ribbon of honeyed goat cheese.

Deviled Eggs. Because I really like deviled eggs, and because you can make kids or guests make them while you do the more interesting things.

Saladish Thing (because you ought to have something sort of fresh), made of sliced heirloom tomatoes (because they looked really interesting at grocery store) with tiny fresh mozzarella balls, all drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.

Fresh green and red grapes, for people who want more vitamins, and to go with the cheese.

Cheese - got a nice aged Red Leicester, a Maytag Blue, an aged Havarti, a white Stilton with blackberries (always a hit) and a Wensleydale with cranberries. Serve with small dish of chutney, dried cherries, and whatever's left out of the nut dish. Oh, and grapes.

Olives - because you can't have Thanksgiving without olives; it's in the rules.

and Pie. Pumpkin and Apple, and no, I didn't make them. Life is too short, and people who make pies need jobs, too.

I thank God for family and friends (including all of you), and wish you all a lovely Thanksgiving (and lots of leftovers. As far as I'm concerned the Ultimate Purpose of turkey is sandwiches on multigrain bread with mayonnaise, sliced pears, crumbled gorgonzola and walnuts. With cold white wine). Bon appetit!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz