Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you cook your ham?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 12:02

I am making Ham for Thanksgiving and its been many years since cooked one. It says its fully cooked but I want it hot and almost falling off the bone. What's the best way to cook a ham?

Do you have a topping recipe for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you cook your ham?

In my family cooking days, we always smoked our ham.

o

I buy them pre-cooked, too, Joann. They always turn out good, but I think the directions recommend serving it at room temperature. But look on the directions that come with it--it should tell you how long per pound.

o

Mem's (that's me!)Honey/butter ham with mesquite smoked flavor.

4-6 pound boneless ham
�1/2 cup softened butter
�1/2 cup honey
�1/8 teaspoon powdered cloves
�1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Soak mesquite chip (or hickory, cherry, pecan chips) int water for several hours. Place them in deep aluminum pan in the water they were soaked in. You can actually add a little apple juice to this mixture...Place uncovered on bottom rack of oven near the heating element.Place your ham on middle rack in over after you have done the following....

Combine butter, honey, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl. Preheat grill for medium heat. Brush ham with butter mixture, place on grill, cover and allow to cook for 1 hour. Baste with additional butter mixture ever 20 minutes during cooking process. Remove from heat and allow ham to rest fro 5-10 minutes before slicing.

o

just follow the directions on the package...have really never had ham fall of the bone like pork loin...we usually buy a costco spiral honeybaked...easier to cut...usually ham is served warm not "hot"...what i like are the "sides" to cut the saltiness...

o

My recipe says grill, but I use the oven and ham turns out delish...I found the grill recipe one time and added the mesquite, part myself, and experimented. It was soo good. I tried it with the other woods also, and they turned out really good, but mesquite, and cherry wood are my favorite.

o

My two cents. We buy an inexpensive store brand ham that has the bone in. We score the fat part and place cloves in the angles. Mix brown sugar with the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple chunks that we bought when we bought the ham. Use toothpicks to place pineapple chunks on the ham. Pour the sugar/juice mixture over all. I think it only needs an hour to get warm all through, but hubby keeps it in longer. We cover our roasting pan with foil because the sugary juice leaves a mess. Carving it takes a little extra effort, but our ham is always tasty and moist.

o

I cook mine the way Pam 25f does. Except I put sliced pineapple all over mine instead of the chunks, bake at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes. I think it is usually a 10 pound smoked ham. I found that baking it just makes it more tender and juicy. I have always loved a baked ham. The next day make ham sandwiches with a slice of that pineapple on it with sliced ham...and Hellman's mayo!

Deb

o

Local restaurant, Bogue's, always takes orders for their Dr Pepper glazed ham. Last time I was there, few years back, they had a sign saying their had reached their limit on orders and weren't accepting any more.

Dr Pepper glazed ham
0.5 (12 ounce) can Dr. Pepper cola or 12 ounces Coke
6 ounces orange marmalade (small jar)
1/2 cup brown sugar
Directions:
1 Mix all 3 ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil, and glaze ham throughout cooking process of the ham.
2 (You can change the amounts of each ingredient to get the consistency you prefer).

o

I have heard of a Coca Cola cooked ham..I never did have a recipe for one though. Glenda I think that is worth a try. Sounds really good!

o

I make a good crispy sugary glaze but I just make it up as I go. I use a lot of brown sugar to get a crispy glaze. Brown sugar, honey, mustard, spices, and pineapple juice to mix it up. I also put some Vernor's ginger ale in the pan or add it to the glaze mixture The key to cook an already cooked ham is cook it until it is heated through and the glaze is as perfect as you want it to be.

Anne

o

When I buy that kind JoAnn, I cook it a little longer than suggested. I like mine real done but not dried out

o

I prefer the brown sugar and pineapple.

Absolutely loathe the taste of cloves which my grandmother used to use on her hams. I always made sure my piece of ham came from no where near those cloves! LOL

o

I put the (fresh, bone in) ham, fat side up, on the rack on my broiler pan. Pour about an inch of water in the bottom, wrap tight with foil and cook low and slow. About 300 for 3 or 4 hours. No sauce or glaze.

o

No glazes or sauces so I can make ham gravy. The gravy is WONDERFUL!

o

Man these recipes sound great. I've never used pineapple juice before, or Dr. Pepper, which I love.

I always just used brown sugar and mustard for the glaze. Sometimes with a shake or two or worcestershire sauce.

I think I'll try the Dr. Pepper and also the brown sugar and pineapple, thanks for all the ideas.

o

Last Christmas I cooked mine on the grill. I can't find the recipe I used, but I think it was a Bobby Flay recipe. It was very good and would like to make it that way again. If I find the recipe after my search will post it.

o

I looooooooove the clovey bits, they're the best part. I've also used apple juice on a ham when I didn't have pineapple, and it was good.
Our hams come with the skin still on. If yours does, cut around the shank and carefully peel off the skin (so the skin is still on the shank end), leaving the fat intact, then score the fat (not all the way through) in a criss-cross pattern.

o

I'm with houstonmom. I don't like sugary meat or veggies. Sugars are for dessert AFAIC. A good smoked ham is great but you don't get a good gravy from it. So much depends on your priorities.

o

A neighbor a long time ago made her hams with Dr. Pepper or root beer, brown sugar and mustard. Put the mustard all over the ham, then the brown sugar and then pour the root beer or Dr. Pepper over it. She baked hers in a big crock pot. The meat fell off the bone when done. My husband used to love it that way.

Sue

o

Who needs gravy if you smoke your turkey! The flavor of the hickory wood just kicks the turkey up a notch.

I always made giblet gravy for those that did need gravy, just in case.

o

Who needs gravy if you smoke a turkey? LOL The potatoes of course (or pommtatos if you prefer!), and stuffing/dressing... rolls even.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here