Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have DISH tv?

Posted by Sue-va (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 11:41

I do, but since yesterday afternoon I have the Aquiring Signal message on the screen. I've gotten that a time or two, but not for this long.

I called DISH this morning and got a message that there were no represetatives availble at this time; please call again later. About an hour later I called and after going trough the numbers, finally got a real live person. After some questions and try this, try that, the conclusion was it is a weather problem. Yesterday here was sunny all day; a little cloudy now, but clearing up.

Now here is a "coincidence" or not. Last month I canceled my contract with DISH, to be effective November 19th. Yesterday afternoon I called DIRECT TV to begin a contract with them. They will be here on the 17th to set it up. According to the person I talked to at DIRECT, that will not interfere with DISH, for those two days. A couple hours later I got the AS message from DISH.

Just makes me wonder. Happenstance or not?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have DISH tv?

Hi Sue,

Have you looked at the actual satellite dish outside? It 'could' be as simple as a leaf that has blown into it, that is causing the problem. A while back, on a very windy day, my satellite was going in and out and taking a long time to acquire the signal. What I found was a shrub that had grown quite tall that was then blowing in front of the dish. Needless to say, that shrub has since been cut way back.

According to the person I talked to at DIRECT, that will not interfere with DISH, for those two days.
I think they might be silly. Surely they aren't going to run additional wires on the same route inside alongside the Dish wires. I would think that they will use the existing wires, and their Direct TV equipment and once they are done installing the Direct TV equipment in your house, you will have Direct TV only. Maybe they just misunderstood what you were asking.

(the other) Sue

I have Dish and am pretty pleased with it, and the # of channels and cost. I like the 'free preview channels' they give each month. I don't know if Direct gives some free channels each month or not.

o

No problem here with the signal.

We have had Dish for over 16 years and love it. I know of a couple friends that dumped Dish for Direct, but switched back a short time later.

We have way too many channels - lol! The free previews don't really matter - we get them anyways. :-)

Our one big vice - TV!

o

The free previews don't really matter - we get them anyways. :-)
I imagine that you have a larger package than I have. I always wondered if those with bigger packages got different free ones than I got, since they would likely be included on larger packages.

o

Right now, about the only thing we don't have is Skinamax and HBO.

I generally "downgrade" the movie channels during the summer. DH works hard all spring, summer, and fall - he likes to spend some quality TV time on those long winter days - LOL, so we upgrade to those for a couple months a year. I hate some of the early morning programing on Cinamax (Skinamax) - so I don't subscribe.

o

When we bought our house we has DISH on the roof, I ordered Direct and they put another dish and ran new wiring.

o

I have never had DISH. I had Mediacom for a couple of years but then switched to DirectTV. I really like it except that it goes out during storms.

o

My DISH dish is a little distance from my back porch, and is closer to the next back porch. ??

Sue, you mentioned leaves or bushes, so I went out and looked around. It appears that some wires have been pulled, or cut. Can't imagine how that would have happened, but my neighbor was not at home, so I will talk to her tomorrow to see if she has noticed that or heard anything unusual.

I don't dislike DISH, but with DIRECT I will get some channels that I don't get now, and with their current promotion, I will be saving money. I only had the least expensive package with DISH and will have that with DIRECT also. I don't watch a lot of TV because to me there isn't much worth watching any more.

We may have a mystery here.

So stay tuned!!

Sue

o

We may have a mystery here.
So does the signal eventually come in, or are you without TV at this time.

I curious about the wires also.

(the other) Sue

o

Hi, other Sue. Still no TV, just the AS message.

I talked to my next door neighbor. She said she had seen the wires that have been pulled out, but since she knew I was changing to DIRECT, she thought it was part of that, so she didn't mention it to me. (She has been in with a bad cold.) I talked to the new neighbor; she doesn't have TV at all; doesn't want it. So I called management this morning and our maintenance man is coming to check it out.

So I am waiting, waiting, waiting...

Sue

o

The wait is over.

Maintenance man came and looked it over and said the dish is missing an LMB, whatever that is, and I could call DISH and they will come out and repair it.

Since DIRECT will be here tomorrow, MM said just let them hook everything up, and my DISH contract will just expire any way. He thought probably the guy cutting the grass might have accidentally. pulled the wires out. I'm not sure about that, but if I have a working TV tomorrow, that will end the mystery.

I just hope DIRECT does show up.

Sue

o

So I called management this morning and our maintenance man is coming to check it out.
grrrr....no TV at all since yesterday? Hope he gets to you soon and all fixed up. Hope the Direct TV installation is handled well too.

(the other) Sue

o

Well, just a note to say I have had Direct TV for about 10 years and can count on 1 hand the outages or problems we've had.

We love them!

o

Directv here. Dish doesn't have AMC "Walking Dead".

o

DISH does have AMC! They were in a dispute for a while, but it is back on.

o

Just a comment or two.

I'm glad to see positive responses about DIRECT.

Yesterday I noticed the red recording light on the TV was lit. So I turned it on and there was the Today show
on the screen; it ran for about an hour and ended. Couldn't get it to do anything else though.

So the time was set for today noon-4. Yesterday I got a robo call to tell me the time would be 8am-noon. If correct say Yes, if not say NO. I said
No. She said the next available time would be Sunday 8am-noon. I said yes, even though I didn't like that time. I figured if I didn't take it it would be much later. So they may find me in my jammies! I just hope they do show up.

I hate robo calls.

Waiting again.

Sue

o

Yesterday I got a robo call to tell me the time would be 8am-noon. If correct say Yes, if not say NO. I said
No. She said the next available time would be Sunday 8am-noon.

GRRRRRR......I would have hung up and immediately called the order number and let them know that you still wanted the Sat PM appointment as previously agreed upon or else that Sat AM would work (if it would have indeed worked).

I said yes, even though I didn't like that time.
yeah, like how are you going to get anything accomplished with a robocall. I'll bet you are missing your TV. Hopefully they won't drop the ball again on you tomorrow.

(the other) Sue

o

UPDATE, finally.

I typed out a long message on my Word program, and now for some reason it won't paste here.

So maybe all is not well with my pc.

Anyway, for now, I have DIRECT and if I can figure out what my problem with Word is. I'll post the DIRECT resolution.

Have a happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Sue

o

Update on the update.

Time was supposed to be Sunday, 8am-noon. No one showed up. Sometime in the early afternoon, I had a call from the installer who said he would be here in about 15 minutes. I told him he was supposed to be here this morning 8-noon. He said on his book it was noon-8, and he apologized for the mix-up. I told him to just get here when he could. In about ten minutes I had a call from a different installer who told me he was in the area, had just finished his last call and could be here soon. (Apparently these guys stay in touch with each other.)

So he was here in about ten minutes, and got right to work. He saw the wires that had been pulled out, but he said they weren't connected to anything anyway. He took them out, found another heavy double wire that apparently had been a Com Cast connection, and removed that. He used all new wiring, put a new DIRECT dish on the opposite end of the roof from the neighbor's dish.

With all the miscommunications, that doesn't speak well for DIRECTTV, but I will say that the young man was very pleasant, courteous, and did a timely, neat job. When he was finished, we had a coke together. DIRECTTV should be proud of him.

Because of the holiday, my son being home from SC, TD dinner with my DGS, Friday with my DGD, and company this afternoon, I have been exhausted and my bones are moaning. I haven't had much time, or interest in seeing much TV. After a while I'll "report" on how I like it, and will probably have some questions.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here