SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Another Silly "This Irks Me" Thread

suzieque
9 years ago

Ok, I know that this type of thread gets all kinds of input, from "yes, agree, and also ...", to "why are you so unhappy about such unimportant things". My motive here is not to instigate anything, nor is it to say that these things disrupt my life. But I challenge anyone to say that they're not irked by some little things sometimes.

For me, my things this week are:

What's now become acceptable abbreviations and more often used terms for things. Such as "invite" for "invitation". When did the word become "invite", as in "I'll send you an invite"? Invite is a verb, yes? Invitation is the noun. I'll invite you, vs I'll send you an invitation. But yet "invite" seems to have become the norm, and "invitation" is rarely used.

Also, "Turkey day" vs "Thanksgiving". Is the day about turkey or is it about giving thanks for our abundance? Saying "Turkey day" seems, to me, to make light of what the holiday is for. It would be similar to calling Christmas "present day". Turkey day may sound cute, but, ok, it irks me.

So there you have my current "irks". They're not monumental, just stream of consciousness. 'Nuff said.

Comments (54)