Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe Request

Posted by mamatoad (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 11:33

Someone mentioned Brother Thomas's Cookies on another post. I know I had that recipe a long time ago, but am unable to find it. Could someone please post it again??? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe Request

Are you talking about Brother Tom's tea cookies?

Brother Tom was one of my dad's best friends and he was known for his tea cookies at our hometown church.

Country Bumpkin was asking for it cause they used to live next to eachother and she enjoyed his tea cookies.

I have the recipe if that is what you are looking for, in the family church recipe book.

o

Love Tom's Tea Cakes..that's what we always called them!! :D

o
RE: Rennncipe Request

Back in those days, men in the church would call eachother "brother" as a gesture of closeness. At least that's what I always thoughts.

My dad was Brother Raymond.

o

Here is the recipe, courtesy of Ms. Glenda:

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 16:33
bump, go look at the link I posted. shows them cutting the cakes with a canning lid.
Here's his recipe and it uses lemon flavoring

Brother Tom's tea cakes
1 egg
1 c sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon flavoring
2 1/2 c plain flour

cream together the egg, sugar and margarine. add the soda, vanilla, and lemon flavoring, stir in the flour

roll out on a floured board and cut with a biscuit cutter

place on ungreased baking sheet

bake 325 for 10 minutes until lightly browned

makes about 5 dozen

***I copied it exactly from the l983 edition of the church recipe book

THE COINCIDENCE TO THIS IS THAT: BRO TOM and his wife were friends of my parents, and I grew up with their children. We all went to the same church.

come to find out country bumpkin knew them as well, cause they were from her side of town :o) SMALL WORLD

o

That's the one!! Thanks Glenda and Kay!!

o
RE:: Recipe Request

We love our Glender!!!!

o

Enjoy and thanks, Kay!

o

Glenda, that looks like such a yummy recipe. But, how would it be affected if I use butter instead of margarine?

o
RE: Recvvvvvipe Request

Just got the cookbook out and it was published in l983 and rechecked the recipe.

I don't know why using butter would make any difference except to make it even richer tasting????????

I always use Lake of Lakes in my baking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here