Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's share your favorite pumpkin recipes

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 11:29

Time to make pumpkin bread for my friend who gets two loaves every year for the past 25 plus years.

Pumpkin bread
Makes 2 regular loaves or 4 mini.
Temp: 350
Baking time for 2 loaves 50-60 *mine is ready in 50
Mini loaves: 40-45 * mine 40
Ingredients
3 eggs
1 lb can pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt or less
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
optional and I never use: 1/3 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup raisins
In large mixing bowl beat eggs, pumpkin, oil, water.
With whisk blend flour, sugar, soda, salt and spices.
Add flour to pumpkin mixture and mix well. I use my mixer. Stir in nuts/raisins if desired.
Bake in TWO 9x5x3 loaf pans that are greased and floured *I use Bakers spray.
When done, cool in pan on a rack, for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

Family favorite: pumpkin dip

1 container (16 ounce size) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 box (5 ounce size) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (15 ounce size) solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

I cut the recipe in half.

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix together instant vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Fold in the thawed frozen whipped topping.

Chill in the refrigerator until serving. Serve with regular or cinnamon graham crackers

My family enjoys Snyder's multi grain pretzel twists with the dip.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's share your favorite pumpkin recipes

I make the pumpkin bread recipe you posted a few years ago.

WHAT I need is an easy and flaky PIE CRUST recipe that I can make in my food processor!

o

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
These are very good! If you make them the frosting makes JUST enough if you aren't too generous with it. I will make just a bit more next time. in 15 minutes mine were done and soft and chewy. ~ from Allrecipes
You can use 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of the asst spices listed.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Spread
Very good on pumpkin bread!

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

In a small bowl, beat softened cream cheese, sugar, and syrup til creamy.
2 Add pumpkin, spices and vanilla and beat til smooth.
3 Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-spice-cream-cheese-spread-328442?oc=linkback

o

This is a very light pumpkin pie. I use fresh pumpkin. I tried it once with canned pumpkin and it did not set up.

Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie

1 cup mashed, cooked pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup butter
3 eggs, separated

Combine all ingredients except for eggs. Beat egg yokes & add. Beat egg whites & fold in.
Pour into 2 pie shells and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

o
RE: Let's shabbre your favorite pumpkin recipes

Ooey gooey pumpkin bars --- tested and excellent
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

o

anyone have a good pumpkin soup recipe?

I have bought mine from Fresh Market, and it was good.

o

Here you go, Glenda. This is tried and true, and sooooo delicious!

Pumpkin and Pear Harvest Soup

As adapted from an allrecipes.com recipe

2 tbs butter
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 cooking pumpkin
1 large diced carrot
3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 quart chicken stock
1/4 cup Harvey’s Bristol Cream (optional)
1/2 cup light cream (optional)
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, or to taste
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp mild curry paste (optional but yummy)
1 knob grated ginger root
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped chives

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in leeks and onions, and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, squash, carrots, pears, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Carefully puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender to puree the soup right in the pot. Once the soup has been pureed, return it to the pot and stir in the sherry and cream. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper; simmer gently for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped chives.

Note: I found it tasted so good by itself, that I found it unnecessary to add the cream.

o

Ohhh sounds yummy! Thanks bunches!

o

This is my favorite thing made with pumpkin. I like it even better than pie. It makes 2 big loaves, also. I think I'll try making small loaves for neighbors this year. It's super-good slathered with softened cream cheese. Or maybe I'll just make Nodakgal's cookies. Those sound delicious, too.

PUMPKIN BREAD

3 c. flour
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. granulated sugar
1 c. butter, really soft, or half-melted
3 large eggs
1 16 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 9x5 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, spices, salt, b aking soda and baking powder and set aside. In a separate bowl, add the sugar, butter and eggs. Cream together and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add the pumpkin and combine well.

In three batches add the dry ingredients and mix gently until each batch is just incorporated. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl between each batch. Pour half the batter in each of the prepared pans. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

o

KayJones--this is Carol in California's recipe for vodka pie crust. I haven't tried it but saved it because it got such rave reviews. Seems to be what you are looking for--vodka and it's made in a food processor.

PIE CRUST WITH VODKA (Carol in California@KT)

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening , cut into 2 pieces (or lard)
2 tablespoons vodka , cold
2 tablespoons cold water

1. Process 3/4 cups flour, salt, and sugar together in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogenous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 10 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds with some very small pieces of butter remaining, but there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Flatten dough into 4-inch disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
3. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on oven rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out on generously floured (up to � cup) work surface to 12-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll into pie plate, leaving at least 1-inch overhang on each side. Working around circumference, ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand. Leave overhanging dough in place; refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
4. Trim overhang to � inch beyond lip of pie plate. Fold overhang under itself; folded edge should be flush with edge of pie plate. Flute dough or press the tines of a fork against dough to flatten it against rim of pie plate. Refrigerate dough-lined plate until firm, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove pie pan from refrigerator, line crust with foil, and fill with pie weights or pennies. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights, rotate plate, and bake for 5 to 10 minutes additional minutes until crust is golden brown and crisp.

o

patti, our loaves are so close, except yours calls for butter and mine calls for oil.

o

KayJones, for pumpkin pie I guess you would forego baking it first and just follow your pie recipe for baking time.

o

This soup sounds good and uses canned pumpkin. Now if i just had someone to prepared it for

Pumpkin soup
1/4 cup Land O Lakes�
small (1/4 cup) onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15-ounce) can Libby'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DirectionsMelt butter in 3-quart saucepan until sizzling. Add onion, garlic and sugar; cook over medium heat until onion is softened (1 to 2 minutes). Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Transfer mixture to food processor bowl fitted with metal blade or 5-cup blender container (in batches, if necessary). Cover; process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Serve warm.

o

I take low sugar oatmeal (Food Lion brand) and add canned raw pumpkin to it, pumpkin pie spice and some splenda. Mix with enough water to moisten and microwave about a minute. Like pie for breakfast without the calories.

o

Glenda, I volunteer to share your pumpkin soup :-)

Does anyone make a pumpkin roll? You know, with the filling in the middle and rolled up. I've never made one, but they sure look good in the bakery, so I'd like to try it.

o

Pumpkin Roll
1 1/2 cups flour
2 t baking soda
4 t ground cinnamon
2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t ground nutmeg
1 t salt
6 eggs slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups solid pack pumpkin
Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper and grease the paper.
Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl. Add pumpkin.
Stir in dry ingredients and pour into 2 prepared 15x10x1 sheets. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched.
Loosen cakes around edges and invert onto a clean damp towel sprinkled with 10x sugar. Peel off wax paper. Trim edges to even up. Roll up towel and cake together from short side. Place seam side down on wire rack to cool completely.
Unroll cakes and fill.
Beat together and divide in half for each roll.
2 cup 10x sugar
2 8 ounce packages cream cheese
12 T butter
2 t vanilla
Roll back up . Makes two. Freezes well if it lasts that long....

o

I have a bunch of pumpkin recipes at the KTGP. Take a look, I keep adding as I go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Recipes

o

Thanks, Mad About Mickey, that sounds good. The reason I've never tried it is because it seems to me like the cake would crumble when you unroll it. Maybe the towel keeps that from happening--??

o

Patti43...the cake is moist and the towel is dampend first so it generally doesnt break or crumble, it sort of curls...so it's a good idea to have the filling ready when you unroll them, then fill them right away and roll them back up. You are supposed to dust them with more 10x sugar after they are rolled up. I forgot that part.

o

patti, you make it, I'll gladly eat it.

o

Aha! I missed the "dampened" part of the towel. Now I understand!! Thanks from your resident senior citizen who can't seem to read all the words in a recipe :-)

o
KayJones, Your Pie Crust Recipe

Kay,
This is Ina's recipe for her apple crostata that I make regularly and we just love.

The crust is made in the food processor

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina's Crostata Pie Crust in Food Processor

o

Pumpkin Facial Mask

Mix about 2 cups of fresh pumpkin with 1 egg - blend with a whisk or in food processor.

Make a nice cup of tea or pour a glass of wine for yourself; spread pumpkin mask on your face and d�collet�. Relax for 20 minutes and then rinse off - don't forget to finish your tea &/or wine!

o

I'm making this one for our Church Thanksgiving dinner.

Great Pumpkin Dessert

Servings: 24

"This is a very easy cake made with canned pumpkin and yellow cake mix. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream."

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and spice. Mix well, and pour into a 9x13 inch pan.
3. Sprinkle dry cake mix over the top, then drizzle with melted butter. Top with walnuts.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out

Here is a link that might be useful: great Pumpkin Dessert

o

This is my late MIL's recipe for

PUMPKIN CREAM ROLL
3 eggs
1 c sugar
2/3 c canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
1 t. lemon juice
3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 t. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
1 c finely chopped nuts
Confectionary sugar

Filling:
1 package (8oz) cream cheese
4 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 c. confectionery sugar

Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Gradually beat in sugar. Fold in pumpkin and lemon juice. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour into a well greased 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 375� F. fro 15 minutes. Quickly loosen sides with knife and turn out onto a thin towel. Generously sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Roll up, with towel, from wide side. Cool.

Thoroughly cream together filling ingredients. Unroll cake and spread with filling. Lifting cake off towel, roll up like a jelly roll and wrap in foil. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut in 1/2" slices and serve.

Will keep in refrigerator for several days.

DD makes this a lot this time of year. DH loves it! Today is the first time I have tried making it. Of course I burnt my finger on the pan, but not bad. I had a hard time getting it to come off the pan. The center stuck. I sprayed my pan with cooking spray. It might be a better idea to actually grease the pan. The cake is cooling right now. I'll make the filling soon.

Tami

o
RE: Let's share your favorite pumpkin recipes...

Pumpkin roll is chilling. The last of the pumpkin cookies are in the oven! These are Nodakgirls cookies from above. I haven't put the icing on them, and probably won't. I don't need the extra sugar, but the cookies do! They are still good with out it though. I am going to try to post multilpe pics. Here goes! After the pumpkin roll is chilled, I'll dust with powdered sugar, before serving.

Tami

o
pumpkin roll 1

It didn't let me put more than one pic in so here is the pumpkin roll as I put the icing in. I would suggest that you dust the towel (I used a flour sack towel) with powdered sugar before rolling the cake in it. Mine stuck, and I didn't do it.

o
pumkin roll 2

Here it is all rolled up ready to wrap in foil and go in the fridge. I'm sure DH will taste test later!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here