SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for Thanksgiving - Week 2 November 2012

As we head into weeks of preparation for the wonderful feast of Thanksgiving, I thought we could focus on dishes that we have successfully served for these meals.

I will start off with a sweet potato recipes I have used for years.

My Sweet Potatoes

I have used this recipe since the early 1960s - got it off the back of a can of sweet potatoes while living in the Philippines. My family will not have sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving prepared any other way - they want to stick to this old, familiar, traditional standby.

2 16-oz cans sweet potatoes (or 1 32-oz can)

2/3 cup brown sugar

2- 3 T cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/4 cup margarine (1/2 stick margarine)

Drain liquid from sweet potatoes and reserve. Put sweet potatoes in 9 x 9 or 9 x 13 baking dish.

In saucepan mix brown sugar, cornstarch and spices. Add liquid from sweet potatoes and margraine. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Pour over sweet potatoes in baking dish. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour.

Comments (63)

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Patti, what size yeast cakes do you use for the rolls? I can get 2 different sizes here.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

I will be making my refrigerator yeast rolls, another 50 plus year old recipe.

Refrigerator Rolls
    1 quart of milk
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup of shortening or butter flavored
    Heat the milk with the sugar and shortening until sugar is dissolved and the shortening melted. Remove from stove and let cool to lukewarm. Use a large kettle as you will be letting this rise, covered until the next step, unless you prefer to put into a very large covered plastic container at this point.

1 package of yeast
    1/4 cup warm water

Dissolve the yeast package in the water and add to the cooled milk mixture.

To this milk and yeast mixture add
    6 cups of all purpose flour, stir by hand till all the flour is incorporated.

Let double in bulk. Then add the following

1 Tablespoon salt
    2 Teaspoons baking powder
    1 Teaspoon baking soda
    2 Cups more all purpose flour

Stir this all in well by hand and put into the refrigerator to chill, at least overnight. When ready to use put a fair amount of flour on your work area. Gently take out portions of dough, but do not knead, taking your floured rolling pin roll out as for a jelly roll, then spread with melted butter, roll up for the long side, cut and put into buttered muffin pans. Repeat the process until you have as many rolls as you want. Put the rest into the refrigerator till needed, will keep at least a week. Making sure when you store even overnight that it is in a container with a tight fitting lid. I usually use a tall large Tupperware container.

For greasing your pans either use shortening or the flour, oil and shortening mixture like you make and use on your cake or muffin pans. Brush the tops with melted butter, cover with clean dishtowel and let rise until almost double in bulk. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven. About 14 minutes, ovens vary so you will have to judge when they are done. Do not work too much flour into it as you shape them.

This recipe is from the Betty Furness Westinghouse Cookbook.

Sue

• Related Discussions

Recipes for All Kinds of Sweets - Week 4 November 2012

Q

Comments (28)
    Now that Hostess seems to be gone from our world, I thought someone might want these recipes: Homemade Twinkies recipe: Recipe adapted from TLC Ingredients For the cake: 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup milk 1/3 cup canola oil 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon vanilla For the filling: 1/3 cup shortening 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup light cream 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar Directions: 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three mini loaf pans with cooking spray. 2. Beat the eggs and sugar with a handheld mixer until thick. Slowly add in all other ingredients and beat until fully combined. Divide the batter among the mini loaf pans, filling about 3/4 full. Bake cakes for at least an hour, or until golden brown. Cool in pans and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. 3. While cakes cook, prepare filling by mixing shortening, sugar, vanilla and light cream with a hand mixer. Once mixed, slowly add in sugar and beat until combined. Fill a pastry bag with frosting and cut a small hole. 4. Once cakes have cooled, carefully poke three holes in the bottom of the cakes. Pipe frosting into the holes until just filled. Cool for at least 20 minutes and enjoy! __________________ Homemade Sno Balls recipe: Makes 2 dozen Ingredients For the cake: 1 stick butter, unsalted 2 cups sugar 3 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups flour 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups 1 percent milk For frosting: 6 egg whites, warm 1 teaspoon cream of tartar 1-1/2 cups sugar 1/3 cup water, room temperature 2 teaspoons vanilla 3 cups coconut flakes 2 - 3 drops red food coloring Directions: 1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray. Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand-held mixer until combined; add eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla. In another bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until there are no streaks of flour. Fill muffin pan cavities 3/4 full and bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire cooling rack. Once cakes are cooking, cut out a small cone from the bottom, discarding the triangle portion but keeping the small cake circle. (This is where the filling will be piped). 2. To prepare the filling/frosting: Beat egg whites until peaks form, about four minutes. In a saucepan, heat sugar, water and cream of tartar until boiling, and remove from heat and let sit until it reaches 242 degrees F. Slowly pour syrup into the egg whites and stir. Add vanilla. Beat until frosting thickens. In a blender, pulse coconut flakes and red food coloring until crumbly. Place the coconut mixture in a bowl for rolling. 3. Fill a piping bag with 1/2 frosting. Carefully pipe frosting into the cakes and cover with the cake circle. Frost the rest of the cake with the frosting and then roll in the coconut flakes. Let cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
    ...See More

Recipes for All Kinds of Breads - Week 3 November 2012

Q

Comments (36)
    Buttery Yeast Rolls I found this on Food.com Prep Time: 2 hrs Total Time: 2 hrs 18 mins Yield: 20-24 rolls Ingredients 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup warm milk 1 eggs 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, softened 1/3 cup sugar 1 teaspoon salt 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour ( NOT bread flour!) 1 package dry yeast ( 2 1/4 tsp) 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine Directions Place all ingredients except the 1/4 cup butter into bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough cycle and start machine. Shape dough into 20 to 24 balls and place in buttered pan (s). Melt the 1/4 cup butter and brush it over the tops of rolls, saving the excess for brushing on after baking. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until double in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes. Brush baked rolls with remaining butter. NOTE: This dough can also be divided into two portions and each rolled into a 12-inch circle; spread each circle with softened butter, cut into 8 wedges and roll up starting with wide end, to make crescents OR use this dough for cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. I made a batch of these today and they are really good. I used real butter and rolled them out jelly roll style and buttered and rolled them up and put them in muffin pans. I use the homemade Pam grease and the recipe made 14 large rolls. I baked mine for 15 minutes. I think I will get out two bread machines and make two batches for Thanksgiving. Sue
    ...See More

Recipes for Thanksgiving - Week 1 November 2013

Q

Comments (40)
    Made this last year and it was a keeper! Individual Pumpkin custard 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 large eggs 1 can (15 ounces) 100% Pure Pumpkin 1 can (12 fluid ounces) Evaporated Milk Directions PREHEAT oven to 300 F. MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe. POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking sheet. BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whipped cream, if desired. ***Served mine at room temperature
    ...See More

Recipes for Beef - Week 2 December 2012

Q

Comments (14)
    This is my go-to Shepherd's Pie recipe. It's called Cottage pie because it uses beef. I learned that. :) Cottage Pie (Anthony Sedlak of The Main) 4 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 lb ground beef 2 tablespoons butter 3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium 1 cup diced celery, about 1 stalk 2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste 2 tablespoons flour 1 cup red wine 2 1/2 cups beef stock 1 sprig rosemary 1 sprig thyme 1 bay leaf Salt and pepper to taste mashed potatoes Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large saucepot over medium high heat. Add ground beef. Allow excess liquid to bubble away; stir and cook until meat is well browned and crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Drain excess fat using a colander. Deglaze pot with red wine, scraping up browned bits and let reduce slightly. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, stir briefly and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly and sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two Add in red wine from deglazing beef, scraping up crispy brown bits from bottom of pan. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Season well with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
    ...See More
  • patti43
    11 years ago

Tami, lucky you! I haven't seen yeast cakes in years. I gues whatever size would equal 2 packets of dry yeast. I didn't know it came in sizes. Heck, I didn't even know they make it anymore. I loved that smell!

I was reading Sue's post on things you won't eat at Thanksgiving and a lot of people don't care for green bean casserole. I remembered copying this recipe for a homemade version--no soup! I haven't made it, but I think I will this year. It can be made ahead, with the topping stored in a plastic bag until ready to put in the oven.

Green Bean Casserole From Scratch (Galley Gourmet)

For the Topping

1 cup Panko bread crumbs
    2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    3 cups (6-ounces) of canned fried onions
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the Beans and Sauce

2 pounds haricots verts or thin green beans, ends trimmed and halved
    3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
    8 ounces white button mushrooms, cleaned and finely diced
    2 small shallots, finely diced
    4 medium garlic cloves, minced
    3 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese, about 2 ounces grated (an aged white Cheddar works nicely, too)
    2 teaspoons dey Sherry (optional, but good)

For the Topping

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the butter and panko. Add the fried onions, salt, and pepper and pulse just until coarse crumbs form, about 3-5 (1-second) pulses; set aside.

For the Beans and Sauce

With oven rack in middle position, preheat the oven to 425 F. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice; set aside. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt and beans. Cook until beans are bright green and tender about 6-9 minutes (taste for desired tenderness). Drain beans in a colander and immediately plunge into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Spread beans in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain completely.

In the empty pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Saute until mushrooms release moisture and liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the Sherry, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add the green beans to the sauce and gently toss to coat. Transfer the beans to a 3-quart (or 9 x 13-inch) baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the beans and bake until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 10-12.

• hoovergal
    11 years ago

This is great if you like pecan pie and want just a bite:

Pecan Pie Mini-Muffins

1 C packed dark brown sugar
    1/2 C plain flour
    1 C chopped pecans
    2/3 C melted butter
    2 eggs, beaten

Mix all together and spoon into mini muffin pans. Bake at 350 for approximately 12-15 minutes.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am definitely marking this thread as a favorite. Some wonderful sounding recipes here. Yumm, yumm.

Here is another recipe my family has to have at Thanksgiving. It is not the typical green bean casserole made with soup and onion rings.

My Fabulous Green Bean Casserole

This is the only one my family loves to eat. I have to make it every Thanksgiving.

3 cans Blue Lake cut green beans, drained (I use whole green beans) or use fresh green beans
    1 10-oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese (I use 3 large handfuls)
    1 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon MSG, optional (I use Accent)
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I use about 4-5 shakes out of the bottle)
    1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (I use 4-oz)

Put drained beans a baking dish. Place chopped water chestnuts on top of beans. Sauté mushrooms and onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add black pepper and MSG. Measure milk and cream into 2 cup measuring cup; add soy sauce, MSG, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce to milk; stir. Pour milk into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Add cheese and stir to distribute. Pour over green beans in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can actually cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time or vice versa; just watch and do not let get real brown.

You can also top with a mixture of bread or cracker crumbs and butter before baking. I just don't particularly care for it that way, because the gold from the cheese is so pretty. This is one of those dishes you can also prepare the day before, then just stick in oven before serving. I think it is actually better the second day.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

I make at least 4 batches of this cranberry sauce when cranberries are plentiful in the stores. I give 2 batches to daughter and freeze some of it in 1 cup containers to enjoy year round.

Cranberry Sauce
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves, and allspice
    1/2 cup apple juice
    4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
    2 medium size tart apples, chopped coarse(2 1/2 cups)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts(optional)
    Mix sugar, spices and apple juice in a deep 2 quart bowl. Stir in cranberries and apples. Cover loosley with waxed paper. Microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes, stirring twice until cranberries pop. Uncover, microwave 2 to 3 minutes more until slightly thickened. Stir in walnuts. Cool before serving.

This is so good served with the bird, but my family enjoys it even more served as a party appetizer on crackers that are first spread with a dab of cream cheese and topped with this tart sweet sauce.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Patti, do you have an ethnic local market near by? Ours is a little local grocery, specializing in ethnic foods. Think Polish, Hungarian, Porto Rican..... The ones who make fantastic baked goods! We can get a small and large. I'll have to look next time I go in and see what the wt. is. I think it's one and two ounce cakes. I can ship you some!

According to the Red Star Yeast conversion table, 2 pksg of yeast is = to 1 + 1/3 oz, or 2/3 of a 2 oz cake. This is for 4-8 cups of flour.

Tami

• patti43
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tami. The ethnic markets I've been to here are Mexican and Italian. But Gainesville has several. I'll be sure to look next time we go over. Sure is sweet of you to offer to ship, though!

• patti43
    11 years ago

This is Luckygardnr's recipe for sweet potatoes and they are to die for. I've made them several times, but I won't make for T-giving since only Harry and I would eat them and we already have enough on the menu.

The coconut milk is naturally sweet and goes beautifully with the sweet potatoes.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk

1-1/2 lb. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
    3/4 c. "lite" coconut milk (I just use regular coconut milk)
    1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger*
    1/2 tsp. salt

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center (10-15 minutes). Or bake at 425 until tender, about 1 hour.

When cool enough to handle, peel off and discard skin. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a medium microwaveable bowl and mash throughly with a potato masher. Add coconut milk, ginger and salt; stir well. Reheat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Serve 4-6. Make ahead tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days before reheating in the microwave or oven.

*I added a little nutmeg and cinnamon and omitted the salt.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a recipe for a wonderful turnip dish. We don't have it every Thanksgiving, but when people know it is going to be served, they want to be the first to dig in to make sure they get some.

HEAVENLY TURNIP CASSEROLE

I started making this turnip dish in 2000. It was in the Fort Worth newspaper and we instantly fell in love with it.

5 medium turnips, peeled and diced
    1/2 teaspoon soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    Dash onion salt
    Dash celery salt
    1 cup Velveeta, cubed
    1/3 cup milk

Put peeled and medium diced turnips in saucepan; cover with cold water and add soda. Bring to a boil, drain and rinse well. Cover with cold water again, add salt; cook until tender, then drain. Mix flour, sugar, celery and onion salts in a bowl; blend in milk with a whisk. Add cheese and flour-milk mixture to turnips and stir gently. Spray Pam liberally in a 9X13 casserole dish. Pour in turnips. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

If your time is limited, you can prepare this over a period of time by preparing the turnips, draining, and refrigerating. Then when ready to cook, bring out of refrigerator and finish the process.

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

Coconut Custard Pie

Pastry for single crust pie ( 9")
    1 cup flaked coconut, chopped
    3 beaten eggs
    2- 2/3 cups 2% milk
    2/3 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Line a 9" deep-dish pie plate with pastry trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil, bake 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle coconut over crust -- set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, flour,vanilla and salt. Pour over coconut. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.

This pie recipe came from last years Thanksgiving issue Of taste of Home magazine and it is really good. It has a mild coconut taste to it.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

That is a good recipe Susie, I have one very similar to it if not like it and have used it for years, not everyone in the family likes coconut, but I sure do. I like using just evaporated milk in mine, yummy either way though.

Sue

• Chi
    11 years ago

This is the best stuffing I've ever had. It's Pioneer Woman's recipe and the only change I make is using vegetable broth instead of chicken.

Thanksgiving Stuffing

Ingredients

1 whole Pan Of Cornbread (I use her recipe too)
    1 loaf French Bread, Somewhat Crusty
    1 stick Butter
    1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
    2 cups Celery, Chopped
    4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    1/2 teaspoons Dried Basil
    1/2 teaspoons Thyme
    2 teaspoons (to 3 Teaspoons) Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
    1/4 cups Fresh Parsley, Chopped
    Salt To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Chop the cornbread and loaf of French bread up into 1-inch cubes. Spread them out on two baking sheets and let them dry for approximately 24 hours.

Warm up a large skillet over medium heat and add one stick of butter. When it's melted add the onion and celery and cook for a few minutes until onions are almost translucent. While it's cooking chop up any fresh herbs you will be using.

Add 4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of basil, 1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme, a few teaspoons of fresh chopped rosemary and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley. Stir until combined.

Place all of your dried bread cubes into a large bowl and mix them up a bit. Gradually ladle the broth mixture into the bread, tossing lightly as you go. Keep gradually adding the broth mixture, tasting as you go and adding more seasoning and herbs if needed. Add salt carefully. You don't want to over salt your stuffing. If the mixture is not quite moist enough add a bit more chicken broth and stir.

Either stuff the bird and bake according to directions or place in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW's Stuffing

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

I made these recently and will have some of them for Thanksgiving.

Pickled Beets

2 cups cider vinegar
    2 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    Some whole cloves and some cinnamon

Cook and stir until sugar melts and then simmer for five minutes. Cool the brine before adding the beets. Have your beets cooked and sliced. I used fresh beets that I cooked, peeled and sliced. Put the beets in jars and pour the brine over. Let set a few days before using. This should keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 months.

Sue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I just saw this instructables recipe for peanut butter fudge made in the microwave, extremely easy. Going to try this one for the desert table, it is easy to transport which is important.

Easy Microwavable Peanut Butter Fudge

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Patti had asked for the rice and sausage casserole recipe so here it is. I adapt it to my way. My changes at the bottom.

sausage rice casserole
    1 pound Breakfast Sausage
    1 6-ounce box Uncle Ben's long-grain and wild rice
    2 small onions, chopped
    1 4-ounce can mushroom pieces
    1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    4 tablespoons butter
    Steps
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook rice according to package directions. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until thoroughly done, about 4-5 minutes. Drain. Combine all ingredients except butter and pour into casserole dish. Dot top with butter. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes.

**I use the pre cooked Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles
    I saute my onions to make them soft and tender.
    I use the pre cooked packages of rice, I like the Kroger brand brown rice, just heat in microwave then add to the casserole.
    I use half the amount of butter
    I cook it for about 25 minutes longer
    I sometimes add some grated cheese on top.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a great recipe to put in the oven to rise overnight for a quick breakfast Thanksgiving morning. There are probably many recipes for this out there, but this is the one we use.

Yummy Overnight Rolls

I have been baking these since the early 1990s when my cousin gave me his recipe.

1 cup chopped pecans
    1 18-ounce package frozen rolls (I like to use the small size RhoadeâÂÂs frozen rolls)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 stick margarine (or more)
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 small package butterscotch (or vanilla) pudding (not instant)

The night before serving, grease the bottom of Bundt or solid-bottom tube pan. Cover bottom of pan with half of nuts. Place half of frozen rolls in pan and sprinkle remaining half of pecans over rolls. Combine sugar, margarine, and cinnamon in saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then pour half over rolls in pan. Sprinkle one-half dry pudding mix over top. Repeat layers. Put in cold oven and leave overnight to rise; donâÂÂt cover. In the morning, turn oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and invert onto serving platter.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Thanks, Raven. I will try it soon. Harry's not supposed to eat processed food (like soup), but once in a while is okay. Man, that makes me hungry!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a recipe for a warm beverage. It is so good.

Hot Mulled Cider

I started using this recipe in 1972. It is wonderful with ginger cookies.

2 quarts cider
    1/2 cup sugar
    24 whole cloves
    4 cinnamon sticks
    16 whole allspice
    Dash salt

Combine all ingredients in a large pan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool and refrigerate, covered for several hours. Just before serving, reheat slowly. Strain to remove spices.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I wasn't going to make cranberry sauce, but I saw this recipe in "Dash", that little recipe magazine that comes with the newspaper. And since I have 3 bags of fresh cranberries in the freezer and it just takes minutes....

CRANBERRY SAUCE (Dash magazine)

1 - 12 oz. fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
    3/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. orange juice
    Zest of 1 orange

Warm the cranberries in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in sugar and orange juice and cook until sugar is melted and berries begin to burst (4-6 minutes). Stir again, add zest and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover pan, and allow to cool. Refrigerate until cold (about 2 hours).

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Oh boy, I just sent this page to myself. Can't wait to do the turnip one and the potato plus the tiny pecan pies. Thanks soooooo much everyone.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

raven, that's the wildrice and sausage recipe I use and served it last month's potluck luncheon.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

yep it is so good I am glad I got it I like to make it too.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

This is what I'm requested to make every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's the only way I like rutabagas. Even though it's called turnip puff, I use the orange rutabagas.

Turnip Puff

6 cups cubed turnips
    2 tbsp. butter
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 tbsp. flour
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste
    1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
    2 tbsp. butter, melted

Cook turnip until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter and eggs. Beat well. (this much can be done the day ahead.)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir into turnips.

Butter a casserole and put in turnip mixture; combine
    crumbs and butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until light brown.

• patty2430
    11 years ago

Patti43, That's my cranberry recipe! Love it!.....Recently found the same recipe in another publication for Thanksgiving recipes, only it has an addition of 1/4 cup of Grenadine Syrup...it might up the sweetness content just a bit. I'm going to try it this year.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a great recipe for potatoes. Woodie posted it several years ago. It is so easy and so, so tasty.

Boursin Potato Gratin
    Woodie@gardenweb

2 Cup heavy cream
    1 5-ounce package Boursin cheese with Herbs
    3 Lb small red potatoes thinly sliced
    Salt and Pepper

Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.

In saucepan, melt Boursin cheese with the cream. In the baking dish, layer 1/2 the potatoes, salt and pepper, pour half of the cheese mixture over, and repeat the layers.

Bake 1 hour at 400*.

• luckygardnr
    11 years ago

Oooooh! Walnutcreek, that sounds really good! I wonder if I could make it without DH knowing there's cheese in it?

• patti43
    11 years ago

These would make a good snack to tide people over until dinner is ready. Cute little meatballs in a biscuit cup--can't turn out too bad. You can make the meatballs the day before and keep them refrigerated.

MINI SAUSAGE BISCUITS (Pinterest)

2 (10 count) cans flaky biscuits (Grands Jr)
    1 lb sausage (Tennessee Pride)
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Mix uncooked sausage and cheese gently until well blended. Shape into 40 balls of equal size.

Remove biscuits from cans and separate each biscuit into two layers, making 40 total biscuit layers. Press one layer of biscuit into cup of lightly greased mini-cupcake pan. Repeat with remaining layers. Place sausage-cheese ball in each biscuit cup. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuits are browned and sausage balls are bubbly. Makes 40.

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

I had never cared for pecan pie because it was so sweet. When we were stationed in Ethiopia my neighbor made this pecan pie and I loved it. It is made with cream cheese so it cuts that awfully sweet taste. My FIL loved pecan pie and when I made this for him he said it was the best he had ever had.

Mystery Pecan Pie:
    Pie crust for a 9" pie pan
    Cream cheese & pecan filling:
    8 oz cream cheese
    1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
    1 1/4 cup chopped pecans
    In a bowl beat cream cheese, 1/3-cup sugar, 1 egg, 1-tsp. vanilla and salt.
    Set aside.
    In another bowl beat 2 eggs until blended. Add 1/4-cup sugar, corn syrup
    and 1 tsp. vanilla; blend well.
    Spread cheese mixture in bottom of pie pan. Sprinkle with pecans. Gently
    pour syrup mixture over pecans. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, until center
    is firm to touch.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We love pecan pie, but as we have gotten older the taste has gotten sweeter. LOL. Nita, I think I will try your recipe for New Years. I try to serve most things that begin with a "p" for prosperity for the New Year. Thanks for posting.

I am copy and pasting every recipe posted here to a Word document for future use.

• User
    11 years ago

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels
    6 eggs
    3� cups evaporated milk
    � cup real cow's butter, melted
    4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (do not subsitute for self-rising)
    1 cup white sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350�F
    2. In a blender or food processor blend the eggs very well. Add in the flour and sugar and blend well. Add the milk and blend slightly. Finally mix in the corn by hand. Stir in the melted butter and pour the mixture into a large casserole dish. (I coat the casserole dish with the Better than Pam recipe that Joanne from KT gave us)

3. Bake at 350�F (175�C) for about 45 minutes. When the pudding is done the center should be solid and the top should have a nice golden brown color. Let rest for approximately 15 minutes then serve warm.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a nice appetizer that can be made a day ahead and just brought to room temp to serve. We really enjoy this.

TEXAS FUDGE

1 pound grated Monterey Jack cheese
    1 pound grated Cheddar cheese
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 15-ounce can evaporated milk
    1 14-ounce can chopped green chilies, well drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine eggs and milk. Line a 9x13x2â baking dish with the chilies, and cover with the cheese mixture. Bake 40 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack to cool slightly before cutting into bite-sized squares. Serve hot or at room temperature.

This can be made a day ahead of serving. It is at its best at room temperature, so all you have to do on the day of the feast, is bring it to room temperature by taking it out of the refrigerator in the morning!

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

walnutcreek, here's the one I prepare a lot!

Green chile squares

With only three ingredients it whips up in under five minutes and then bakes unattended, making it perfect for parties. It can also be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and served hot, cold, or at room temperature.

2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
    2 cans green chiles
    4 well beaten eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the cheese and chiles in the
    bottom of a 9X13 baking dish. Pour the eggs over the top. Bake for
    30-40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool to room temperature
    and then cut into squares.

***I mix all the ingredients and pour into a square pyrex dish for thicker squares

Preparation Time: 5 minutes

• patti43
    11 years ago

Another week is over and time is flying by. It'll be Thanksgiving before we know it. I saw Trisha Yearwood cook her turkey on Food TV this morning. Had to copy/paste in case we ever get a small turkey. I'd like to give it a try. Figured if it isn't cooked, I can always stick it back in the oven. But--not for this T-giving!

NO BASTE--NO BOTHER TURKEY (Trisha Yearwood)

1/2 stick salted butter, softened
    One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity
    1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
    1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
    2 cups boiling water

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
    Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery, onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
    Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F. Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven. Do not open the oven door! Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take 4 to 6 hours. Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served soon after roasting.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I started Thanksgiving planning/shopping today. I bought 3 packages of frozen vegetables. I'll try to buy one item a day. Next week I'll order a fresh turkey breast. Only 4 of us, possibly 6.

• User
    11 years ago

Pumpkin Cream Pie in a Jar

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin cream Pie

• blfenton
    11 years ago

We've already had Thanksgiving so I'll wait until you guys have all finished posting your recipes and then I'll save the whole thing. Christmas is coming and I have to do 2 dinners this year. So many recipes, so little time.

The pecan muffins, the yam puff and the turnip puff sound really good. As does the Boursin Potato Gratin and the....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

• User
    11 years ago

The best macaroni and cheese!(at least I have ever eaten)

If you are serving a small crowd, Just use half of ingredients.

16 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
    1 cup whole milk
    2 cans (12 ounce size) evaporated milk
    5 eggs
    2 sticks butter cut into small pieces
    8 oz. of Colby cheese, shredded
    8 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
    8 oz. pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
    16 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks
    salt, to taste
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 cup shredded American or mild Cheddar cheese for the top of this macaroni and cheese.

Putting it all together

Cut your pasta and place in a large rectangular pan. I buy two of those aluminum pans and use both together because this is quite heavy. The first year I made this recipe I only use one aluminum pan and when I went to pick it up and place it in the oven, the pan just folded and most of the mac and cheese went on the floor.:(

Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk and eggs.

Mix lightly until thoroughly combined.

Add the butter and Colby, Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar and Velveeta cheeses to the pasta.

Pour the milk and egg mixture over the pasta.

Season with salt, pepper and sugar and toss.

Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the remaining cup of American or cheddar cheese.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown at 350 degrees.

This is for a large crowd at Thanksgiving. My sister in law made this for our Christmas dinner several years ago and all of us women were coping the recipe to take home.

It was so darn good it made me want to slap someone silly. ;) JK...but when I tasted this mac & cheese I could have cared less about anything else..LOL. But you know, you gotta be polite and take a polite small amount of everything, but in my head I wanted to grab all the mac and cheese and indulge all by myself..Privately... LOL

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Nita...that pecan pie recipe sounds wonderful! However, the amount of sugar is in question. Is it a 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup that goes in the cream cheese part? Probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but I don't want to screw it up, as I will be serving it to my home ec teacher friend.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Some of us like an option of something lighter to put on the plate....like a salad of some kind. The comment has been made that salads just don't belong with all of these rich foods.....and I agree. But, this one does! :-)

It starts with crisp Bibb or Buttercrunch lettuce, rinsed, dried, and separated. Keep chilled. Another bowl will contain seedless grape halves, mandrin slices, thin sliced red onion, walnut or pecan halves, dried cranberries, cukes, celery, and any other raw veggies you like. We always add some cubes of raw sweet potato.

Serve the lettuce leaves separately; 2 or 3 will make a perfect vessel for the salad. Scoop the fruits and veggies onto the lettuce. I make an easy home made bleu cheese dressing but this is also good with a flavored oil and vinegar.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

thistledew, your mac and cheese sounds delicious.

I use my college home ec book recipe and make the cheese sauce to go with my shell macaroni.

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Butternut Squash Casserole

1 medium to large butternut squash cooked and mashed
    3 large eggs
    3/4 C sugar (I use brown)
    1/3 C butter, softened
    1/3 C milk
    1 tsp. ground ginger

Combine ingredients and put in 8" square baking dish. Bake 350 35 minutes. Sprinkle with crush corn flakes and bake 10 min. more.

Spicy cranberries

1/2 C sugar
    1/4 C water
    2" stick finn.
    1 C fresh cranberries
    orange zest

In small saucepan, combine first three ingredients. Bring mixture to boil. Add cranberries and return to boil, boiling rapidly 2 min or until cranberries pop. Put in serving bowl, coll. Cover and chill thoroughly. Remove finn. before serving. Garnish with orange twist. Makes 3/4 cup.

Green Beans with Roasted Onions

6 medium onions (2 1/2 lb.) peeled, cut vertically through root end into 12 wedges.
    3 lb. greens beans, trimmed
    2 cans low sodium chicken broth
    6 T. butter
    3 T. sugar
    2 T. red wine vinegar

Spray w large cookie sheets with pam. Arrange onions in single layer. Dot equally with 4 T. butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 450 until onions are brown (dark) on bottoms. (35 min.) Boil broth in heavy skillet over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup (6 min.) Add sugar and vinegar whisking until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to boil. Add onions, reduce to med.. low. Simmer about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper. Can be prepared to this point a day ahead. Cook beans until crisp tender. Reheat onion mixture. Drain beans, add remaining 1 T butter and toss beans to coat. Mound beans in large shallow dish. Top with onion mixture.

• User
    11 years ago

Thank you Glenda. I sure would like to have your mac and cheese recipe too.

• jennmonkey
    11 years ago

yum, I'm saving a few of these.

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

Gazania, it is 1/3 cup of sugar with the cream cheese.

Let me know how you like it.

• User
    11 years ago

Lovin' and printing these recipes...oh, I can feel the pounds coming on.

Here is a squash casserole some of you might enjoy.

1 stick of butter. I use real butter
    8 cups thinly sliced summer squash
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups shredded New York sharp cheddar cheese
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 grated carrot
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    Package of Pepperidge Farm stuffing bread crumbs
    Salt and pepper

Instructions

Grease a 9x13 pan.
    Saute onions
    cook your squash until tender.
    Drain squash & onions in a colander. Try to get all water and grease out.
    put your squash & onions to a bowl.

Add cheeses, sour cream, grated carrot, soup and
    salt & pepper.

Stir well to combine.

put your squash mixture into greased casserole dish.

Top your casserole with the pepperidge farm season stuffing bread crumbs. Dot a little butter and cheese on top.
    Oven should be at 350 degrees
    Bake (uncovered) for 15 to 20 minutes, when the bread crumbs are nicely golden brown.

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

I apologize for the error in my mystery pecan pie recipe. In the ingredients the sugar is listed as 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar. That should be 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar.

Thank you Gazania for bring the error to my attention.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I was searching for a recipe from the past and just had to bring this oldie but goodie back up! Sure miss some of the people who posted.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Gosh, that was fun, Raven.