Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for All Kinds of Sidedishes - Week 4 November 2012

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 11:16

Horsey Carrotts

The director of our Dietetics Department at the hospital gave me this recipe. He said he and his wife have to have it every Thanksgiving.
1 bag of baby carrots or 12 carrots, pared/sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs grated horseradish, more or less to taste
1/4 - 1/3 cup grated onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup fresh, buttered bread crumbs
Cook carrots until tender; drain. Put in 1 quart baking dish. Preheat oven to 300. Combine mayonnaise and horseradish. Add onion, salt and pepper. Mix well and stir into carrots. Sauté breadcrumbs in enough butter to coat and put on top of carrot mixture in baking dish. Bake 15 minutes. Can be done ahead and baked before dinner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for All Kinds of Sidedishes - Week 4 November 2012

Those carrots sound really good.

Here is another carrot recipe. This I found in a little Hidden Valley Ranch booklet.

Ranch Carrots
16 oz bag baby carrots
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 butter
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix
Cook carrots to desired doneness. Drain
In skillet, melt butter with brown sugar
Add carrots and dressing packet. Stir till bubbly and well blended. Enjoy!

For a crowd, I use 2 pounds carrots, but use the original amount of the other ingredients. It makes plenty of sauce for the 2 pounds.

o

Love this one...

Broccoli-Cauliflower casserole

I head of cauliflower, broken into florets
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
2 eggs
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 box chicken-flavored stuffing mix
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Heat oven to 350º
In a large pot, steam cauliflower 7 to 8 minutes, and broccoli 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside.

In a food processor or blender, mix together eggs,onion, soup and mayonnaise until smooth.

In a 13x9 baking dish, spread cauliflower in an even layer. Sprinkle with half the cheese and then half of the soup mixture. Repeat, layering with broccoli and remaining cheese and soup mixture.

Prepare stuffing mix following package directons. Spoon stuffing over top of casserole. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes.

o

Delicious!

Baked Sweet Potatoes with maple-jalapeno sour cream
Rub oil and salt on 4 scrubbed, sweet potatoes and dried
Place on rack and take 450 for 40-45 minuts or until soft (I wrap mine in foil)

Topping
Combine
1/2 c sour cream
1 Tbl maple syrup
2 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno ***I use canned minced green chiles, drained
1 tsp lime juice
salt and tobasco to taste
chill

Serve potatoes with:
maple-jalapeno sour cream
bacon bits
sliced scallions

o

This is tried and true! Absolutely delicious!

Garlic and Celery Root Mashed Spuds

Ingredients

2 large Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 celery root (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, peeled
Water
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Salt and ground black pepper

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, celery root and garlic cloves. Pour over enough water to cover and set pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.

Drain and transfer potatoes, celery root and garlic to a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and olive oil and mash or process until smooth (or lumpy, whatever you like!). Add more buttermilk if you want smoother potatoes. Fold in chives. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

o

Here is one I like for a change.

Italian Sauteed Vegetables

Fresh baby carrots
Fresh broccoli florets
Fresh yellow squash
1 packet Italian dressing mix

Cook veggies gently in olive oil. Mix in Italian dressing mix. Continue cooking veggies until tender. When ready to serve, top with Parmesan or Asiago cheese.

o

Crock-pot salsa cornbread

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 boxes corn muffin mix, (8 oz each)
* 1 can creamed corn, (15 ounce)
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 can chopped green chiles, (4 ounces) undrained
* 2 tablespoons soft butter
* 3 to 4 tablespoons chunky salsa

PREPARATION:
In a medium bowl, combine creamed corn, eggs, sour cream, chiles, and margarine. Whisk together until well combined. Add corn muffin mix, stirring well to combine. Generously grease a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker/Crock Pot with margarine or
butter. Pour batter into the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Spoon salsa over the top and cut into the batter. Cover and cook on high for about 2 1/2 hours. Turn heat off and let cool with lid ajar, for about 15 minutes. Loosen sides with a knife and invert onto a large plate. If a little of the top sticks to the bottom of the pot, dollop a little salsa on the top, or decorate with sour cream and chopped green onion. Delicious side dish!
Serves 6 to 8.

o

I saw this recipe last night and thought it looked so good, her pictures really help.

Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice

Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
Serves 5-6

4 cups rice, prepared
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked (I recommend using Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken!)
1 cup peas & carrots, frozen
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce

Prepare rice according to package instructions to yield 4 cups cooked rice. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, peas, and carrots.
Stir fry until tender. Crack eggs into pan and scramble, mixing throughout vegetables.
Add rice, chicken, and soy sauce to pan.
Mix soy sauce throughout and remove from heat.

o

This is Harry's special recipe. He read about 4/5 recipes and combined them into this one. He was a great cook back in the day when he could. Luckily I watched him one day and wrote it down, because he just did it!

Harry's Rice

1 c. rice, cooked in chicken broth
3 green onions (including green tops) or 1/2 small onion
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 tsp. tarragon
2 tsp. vermouth or sherry
2 stalks celery,chopped
1 can diced water chestnuts
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until it's bubbly.

o

My granddaughter wanted Homemade Macaroni and cheese as one of the sides to our Thanksgiving dinner and this recipe has been a favorite. She likes to cook and I had her make this with me. She did most of the cheese sauce making and it turned out awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

o

Here is a great recipe for cauliflower. It came to me via the forums at Taste of Home many years ago.

Baked Cauliflower

1 large head cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash and break the cauliflower into flowerets. Cook the cauliflower in boiling, salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain. Coat the bottom of a baking pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and arrange the cauliflower on the bottom of the pan. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder, salt & pepper and moisten with 1/4 olive oil. Sprinkle over the cauliflower. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

o

Luckygardnr posted this recipe and I've made it several times. The only sweetness is from the natural coconut milk, so it's pretty healthy and absolutely delicious! I added the nutmeg and cinnamon to her recipe.

MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH COCONUT MILK

1-1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
3/4 c. coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on HI until tender, about 10-15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash. Add coconut milk and remaining spices. Reheat in the microwave another 1-2 minutes or in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Note: This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. It can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days. I have also made this using canned sweet potatoes. Just as yummy!

o

The fried rice recipe made me think of a restaurant we go to alot. They have a hibachi grill and make fried rice on it. The big differences between theirs' and my mom's is the sake, big chunk of butter and fresh chopped garlic. It's the best fried rice I've ever had...sorry mom.

o

Here is another great, simple recipe from Taste of Home forums.

Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms

3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup butter, cubed

In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, garlic and bread crumbs in butter until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 6 servings.

o

We're having these for dinner tonight.

FRIED POTATO PATTIES (CD Kitchen)

1 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cooking oil

In a large bowl, mash the cold potatoes with a fork until soft. Add the milk; mix well. Add the egg, salt, pepper and flour; mix until well blended. Shape into patties. In a large skillet, fry the patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here