Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Pudding Arrived

Posted by monica_pa (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 11:12

The postman just delivered my Christmas Pudding from Harrod's.
A small extravagance, but I haven't had one in years.
Does anyone else like Christmas Pudding (AKA Plum pudding) ?
With Cognac, of course !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Pudding Arrived

never had any. Enjoy !!!

o

With Cognac, of course ! :o)

o

yes Monica-my MIL taught me how to make this 35+ yrs ago-we "used" to do it back in the day at her place Christmas Eve

Enjoy,as I am certain you will!

o

Lucky you! I am thinking of making one this Christmas

o

What a charming extravagance. I hope it tastes wonderful.

o

Is it the same as fruitcake? I never had Christmas pudding, unless it is a fruitcake.

o

My Mum always made hers in October and always saved one for Easter....traditional English Christmas puddings improve with keeping!

Karen UK

o

No it is not a fruitcake, although it has many fruits in it. Fruitcakes are hard and baked, puddings are steamed and somewhat soft.

It's a pudding, with many fruits, that has been cooked in a steamer, in a mold or wrapped in cheesecloth, then aged. It is often called a Plum Pudding, but can only be called this if it has plums in it.

Being very rich in taste, a little goes a long way.

Often it has brandy poured over it, and soaked in for weeks as it ages. And in many homes, served with a brandy butter "hard sauce".

Traditionally, a gold coin is cooked in it, and the person who gets it in their serving is said to have good fortune for the coming year.

o

My much loved SIL (from England) used to make them in October so to be properly aged by Xmas. I'm afraid that I didn't care much for it. My brother claimed that 'anything ' was good when soaked in that much rum. :-)

I appreciate what a treat it is and know that it will be greatly enjoyed.

o

Christmas pudding can be called plum pudding even though it does not contain actual plums in it. In ancient times raisins and other dried fruit were called "pluma" Sometime we do add a few dried prunes to the mix but not very often. My British and Scottish family have always called steamed pudding plum pudding and really rarely hear it referred to as Christmas Pudding. We like it with a hard whiskey sauce

o

LOL Monica I just wanted to tell you that yrs ago you recommended the Harrods Christmas Pudding here and I bookmarked their site and have ordered it for my DH ever since. His father was British & mom ex-pat Brit from Brazil, it's a childhood fav of his. Every time I SOB that link I remember you, thank you for mentioning it! ~ liz

o

My Grandma used to get or make one every year. She has been gone since 1961.

o

Hey, can someone please post the link? This sounds delish - maybe next year.

Monica, enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here