Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Nuns in Full Habits" Reminded Me...

Posted by sylviatexas (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 10:54

didn't want to hijack the other thread.

My cousin Carolyn grew up in a pretty privileged environment during the Baby Boom era.

Her daddy was a doctor, her mother, my aunt, served on the Doctors' Wives Something.

At age 5, in the early 1950's, Carolyn was sent to a very good Catholic school in Ft Worth, where the teachers were all nuns who wore the old-fashioned black habits.

There was no air conditioning in the school.
in Ft Worth, Texas.
in August or September.

Carolyn misbehaved *all the time*, & finally one of the teachers told her, "one more time & you get a whipping".

so my Aunt Hazel gets a call from the school;
come pick up your kid, she's disgraced herself & she can't come back to school for 3 days.

at age 5!

Carolyn told her older sister Mary Ann what happened:
Sister Whoever had said something, & Carolyn had sassed her, & Sister had given Carolyn a whipping.
with a switch.
in that hot schoolroom.
in her full habit.
& Sister had passed out.

Mary Ann exclaimed in horror over the hurt & shame Carolyn must be feeling.

"Huh", said Carolyn,
"I'll take a whipping any day to see danged old Sister faint."

Carolyn is in her late sixties now, maybe seventies, & she still don't take no guff & she still calls 'em like she sees 'em.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Nuns in Full Habits" Reminded Me...

I wondered what she could've done. Whoa. I am laughing, but whoa! Poor nun!

She's a pistol. I like her moxie.

o

Sylvia, I thought for sure you were going to say Carolyn became a nun. I have many good and bad memories from parochial school. Cute story, but they sure don't appreciate a mouthy child. Those nuns didn't have much in the way of a sense of humor--at least in our school.

o

so I've heard, Patti.

In fact, Catholic school alumni have written books about it...

& in the little town where I grew up, it was an accepted fact that "those Catholic school girls" were the meanest & the wildest.

I've always thought it was because they lived in a pressure cooker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here