Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have any of you gals taken Evista for osteoporosis?

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 10:45

Recently I had a bone scan and evidently I am showing bone loss since the last one. I tried taking Fosamax in the past and it did not agree with me so am wondering about Evista. I got a prescription for it but haven't had it filled yet. Am wondering if anyone here is taking it and if so what are the side effects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have any of you gals taken Evista for osteoporosis?

I've been taking Evista for at least 10 years and have had no side effects. So far my bone density tests have shown improvement.

o

I was on Fosamax for 5 years and now on Evista. No side effects from either. Last bone density scan I had in June showed my osteo has reversed to osteopenia. Something is working.

o

I have been on it for years, first for breast cancer prevention, then, the bone density, have never had a problem.

o

I did it like terilyn--first for breast cancer, and then for bone density. I never had any side effects. The side effects probably aren't as bad as having osteoporosis. Just look at some bent over people--I go to church with one and it makes me sad just to look at her.

o

I have also been taking it for many years without any side effects, except hot flashes and I don't know if that really has anything to do with it. On my last bone density scan, I showed improvement.

o

Thanks so much for the replies. I know I am shrinking in height so I guess I don't have a choice and am glad to know that there may not be side effects. At least that was true for you ladies. Lois

o

Yep - I refused to take bisphosphonates three years ago, and my OBGYN agreed. Have been on Evista (bonus: breast cancer prevention) since then.

Bone scan is good and doc agrees more info now suggests bisphosphonates are not good.

o

I have taken it for about 10 years also. No side effects, only to my wallet. It costs me $120 for a 3 month supply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here