SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seniorgal_gw

Some More of the Story

seniorgal_gw
9 years ago

With all of the encouragement I have received I'm going to dare to tell more stories.

Some of you know the story of my second marriage at age 85, and that my husband passed away last March. It has been a rather difficult time for me and I think this will be great therapy.

So, today I will add a bit more about the boarding school.

Every month or so we would have a formal dinner. We wore our Sunday black dresses. The table was set with multiple forks and other silverware. One of the nuns explained to those who didn't know, just how and when to use all of it. It happened that I had some knowledge of it because my mother had been drilled the same way when she attended the same school.

When visiting priests, or a bishop were to be honored at a dinner some of us were asked to serve them. We learned how to serve and clear dishes properly. I wish some of today's servers had some of that training!!

If it seemed like overkill at the time I was later grateful for the knowledge when I occasionally needed to have that information.

Previously I mentioned our blue serge jumpers and long-sleeved tan blouses which were the uniform of the school. On Sundays we were required to wear black dresses.

You would be amused to see our one-piece blue gym suits with their knee-length bloomers and half sleeves. Wearing shorts wasn't yet heard of. We wore long cotton stockings with them. Round elastic garters held them up (sort of!).

With our school uniforms we wore either cotton or rayon stockings held up by a garter belt, or more likely, elastic garters. Nylons, pantyhose, and Spanx were far, far in the future.

In spite of the cold winters in Minnesota we didn't have snow pants or other leg coverings. We wore warm coats, woolen scarves, and mittens. Guess we were hardy folks!

So much to tell, I may end up posting a book!

Comments (13)